Mental Health Forums

Bloody Bingeing

Paris

i either dont eat or i binge, im starting to think i have a problem, i know i have gained a lot of weight recently but have put that down tothe dreaded olanzapine, but i just went to the shope and bought loads of junk food and im sitting here munching away, is this my new sh>?

i spent my last tenner on sweets crisps choccy donuts fizzy drinks and im sitting here eating the lot and cant blame it on the olanzapine cos i only just took it!! its all new to me... is it a control thing? is it to sh? i dunno

I only managed a few months on olanzipine and then refused it. Is renowned for weight gain. I find it ironic they give these things to people with eating disorders! There are other anti-psychotics out there that are not so bad for weight gain. xxx

we call it seraquel here but its the same thing and yes it made me binge so bad it was rediculious i was on it a year and i went from 100 lbs to 300 lbs it was so bad it renowned for that i can find binging as a self soothing too as well as sh at the same time hanf in there sweety love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I eat normally but I binge on a night also. With me binging is connected to getting drunk. I have put on a lot of weight and it has damaged my self-esteem.

I was Olanzipine for a bit, made me want to eat and eat and eat. For someone who is already quite large, wasn't the greatest med for me.

I've actually just started a new anti-depressent (Trazodone) that also makes me want to eat everything in sight. Trying to weigh up the pro's and con's with this new one.

shit...what was i gonna say...erm..............

it was about food not the drug...erm...

Oh yeah, i remember. You thought it maybe a new self harm? I have had problems with food since i was 12 and told i had a minor eating disorder when 14. It came to nothing but eating habits remained the same. Since i stopped SH (cutting and burning) i have been toatlly focussed on food and calorie counting. My CPN says it is a form of SH and thats why got worse once i stopped cutting and burning

Yes, that is what i wanted to say...sorry, not with it tonight

• 4 weeks later...

i know for me binge eating is defo a form of self harm, although i have always had it on and off, i used to sh alot, once i got into a steady relationship i was ashamed to do it, so i turned to heavy binging, it didnt help that my ex was a 'feeder' if you know what i mean, he would encourage my bad eating. i remember at one point a few years back thinking i am going to literally eat myself to death.

now i hate it, i dont want that at all, but i have little control over it, i hate it and its now my worst enemy. my time inhospital gave a couple of weeks relief from binging till i figured a way to do it, during that time tho i turned back to other forms of sh, so i dont know what is worse...xx

Binging is a big issue for me too. sometimes I binge in a deliberately self-harming way i.e. force lots of food down in a fast way that causes me to vomit , then I carry on eating until I so ill or exhausted. Other times I eat in a self-soothing way....enjoying the food, slower paced, stopping when I feel comfortably full. So my comment is that I use food emotionally daily, I don't know what it is to eat normally. Have just been talking about this on 'foood and me 'post. Food is my most out of control addiction and form of self-harm. I too eat worse when I stop the cutting and burning. I too am on Quetiapine (Seroquel), this has increased my weight gain. Not sure if it encourages me to eat more if I just do it anyway. Am so miserable in myself and my weight is causing ym health to suffer more and more. Thanx to the others of you that have come out in honesty about binging. I often feel that to say I have an eating disorder is almost trying to excuse myself for being so obese and must be an insult to people with anorexia. Am increasingly realising though that my binging and compulsive eating is just as much a disorder as when I was truly bulimic. Hope this helps others know they not alone. Don't know how to label that this may trigger, sorry. Tizz xx

hi,

I had bulimia when i was 13yrs old, it carried ontil i 20+, my physciatrist before my hospital experience acknowledge this, and warned me of the dangers i what i was doing. I was using laxatives, making myself sick, starving.

what i am trying to say rose, there may not allways be a recognised ED pattern and has been made into a criteria, but more is being recongnised all the time. I never knew about EDNOS, but i have now got that diagnosed, it means if you are not in the realm of bulmia or anorexia but show some traits, it is a recognised ED. Meaning yes we binge, yes we starve, yes we do alot of what these main ED do, but we are a class of our own. Also the binge eating, which can cause obesity is a recognised ED aswell.

The thing is with ED probs, all it means is that you have a distorted image of food and yourself. Why i am now EDOS, is because, they are thinking it may be because of my BPD, but i have had a ED since i was say 13, well before my traits of BPD, its like a chicken and the egg, which one did come first?

If you have a problem with eating food, image, is pretty much you do have an ED.

Thats my thinking.

Quetiapine and Mirtazapine give me the munchies, I do what you do Paris and take a tenner to the local shop and buy crap about twice a week, have a good ole binge, but afterwards I feel so crap and fat and ugly, so then ill try to starve the next day, only the meds make me so hungry, im seriously considering stopping them, because looking 6 months pregnant is not good for my self confidence the weight is all on my belly my wrists are really thin, sometimes I will manage to not eat anything but take my night meds and go to bed and get up before ive had time to fall asleep, and raid the fridge, because my meds have kicked in and I feel so hungry. I was 8 stone before I started Mirtazapine and Quetiapine, now im 11 stone, thats a huge increase in weight which could lead to health problems such as diabetes. I hate it. As for it being a type of self harm, I don't think it is for me, I know it's the drugs making me crave bad foods.

Archived