Mental Health Forums

Psyche Meds... Weight Gain

SickAna

I discovered this fantastic medication, Zyprexor, for anxiety, panic etc. Have had a marked reduction in panic attacks, bad dreams, disosiation. Never have found a medication that even touches on this stuff before... it has been such a relief not to suffer so much.

...Only I gained two kilos in the last month, and as I have pretty much been fasting (and as weight gain is a side-effect), I suspect the pills may have contributed. So I guess I'll have to stop them. Even if it (weight gain) is a result of something else, it may be related to these tablets which is enough of a reason for me to stop them. Although It's not like I can't afford to gain two kilos!

But I find this kind of sad.

I just hope that if I get any rotten side effects from stopping my dose suddenly, that weight loss is one of them. After all, it is the most important thing.

Yeah, I know - sad.

Its not sad...not when you are battling with your weight.

Stopping any medication suddenly is not a good idea...exp as this is working for you so well.

Think about goin bk to your docs to find an alternative before you just stop.There are other medications you could try so dont give up.

xxx

I know how you feel. It is very upsetting! Weight gain has been a mini war for me over the last 5 years, before I started taking Mirtazapine and anti-phychotics I was 7 stone, after 5 years of being on various anti-deppressants Ive gained 4 stone, which really makes me self concious, its all on my belly, so I look 6 months pregnant, I hate it. But Ive tried stopping the anti-phychotics and mood stabelisers, and I just end up ill, so, I have resighned myself to the fact that I am bigger, Id rather be bigger and able to function than thin and very unwell. I have to keep myself as well as I can be so I dont end up back in the hospital, because its upsetting for my children.

But Ive tried stopping the anti-phychotics and mood stabelisers, and I just end up ill, so, I have resighned myself to the fact that I am bigger, Id rather be bigger and able to function than thin and very unwell. I have to keep myself as well as I can be so I dont end up back in the hospital, because its upsetting for my children.

Well said. For peace of mind is quite simply priceless....

<!--quoteo(post=398447:date=Jul 3 2009, 12:02 PM:name=Shelley)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shelley @ Jul 3 2009, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=398447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But Ive tried stopping the anti-phychotics and mood stabelisers, and I just end up ill, so, I have resighned myself to the fact that I am bigger, Id rather be bigger and able to function than thin and very unwell. I have to keep myself as well as I can be so I dont end up back in the hospital, because its upsetting for my children.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well said. For peace of mind is quite simply priceless....

Thanks Shelly, I think you make a really good point. I guess the reason I see my own behaviour in stopping the meds as a bit tragic, is because (given my current weight) I actually could afford to put on a few kilos, it might even look a little healthier. Yet it feels like gaining weight is like the worst possible thing wich is actually ridiculous as I do know that being very unwell (head-wise) is far worse, and that being too skinny is actually more likely to make me unwell (head-wise and physically). Geez it's a tough one and I do think that, after reading your post that the right thing to do would be to get back on them. I guess I'll just sit back and see what I do (wich lately has been my aproach to my behavoiur, rather than taking control and chosing to behave based on well-thought out plans!). It aint easy having mental illness,is it guys!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel. It is very upsetting! Weight gain has been a mini war for me over the last 5 years, before I started taking Mirtazapine and anti-phychotics I was 7 stone, after 5 years of being on various anti-deppressants Ive gained 4 stone, which really makes me self concious, its all on my belly, so I look 6 months pregnant, I hate it. But Ive tried stopping the anti-phychotics and mood stabelisers, and I just end up ill, so, I have resighned myself to the fact that I am bigger, Id rather be bigger and able to function than thin and very unwell. I have to keep myself as well as I can be so I dont end up back in the hospital, because its upsetting for my children.

I've always been skinny, every since I could remember.

I've always had people take me in and say "you're nothing but skin and bones", "eat something will ya, you're making the rest of us look bad", "put some meat on your bones" and all the old catch phrases plus a plethora of innovative ones made up on the spot. I liked being skinny. I felt attractive, unencumbered. I accepted myself for being skinny and made fun of overweight people, claiming "I just can't understand how people let themselves go like that" and that kind of thing. I went through 24 years of this and then something marvelous happened:

I quit smoking at 24 (after 12 years) and I started to gain a little weight as a result. At first I appalled - Me? Gain weight? That's unheard of!! And yet there it was, just the slightest bump along my belly. It was smooth and soft as opposed to my usual taut and hard. I hated the idea of gaining weight, but I couldn't help thinking, "I've been skinny all my life and that's all I've ever known - Maybe, just maybe, it's my turn to laugh at the skinny people?".

So I decided to adopt that small bump on my belly and raise it as my own. I pampered it with sweets (no more than I was used to), fed it three square meals a day and before I knew it my bump became a training wheel. My training wheel a tire. My tire a little pot belly and now I'm sporting a well sized, honest to god, beer bellyishly delightful overhanging gut!

It goes round and round in circles and slohes around in waves, I can set my drink on it while I'm reading and just enjoy this new, soft and smooth annex to my body. It's a new part of me and whlie I realise that gaining weight is probably not the healthiest thing in the world I can't help myself - I love my new belly! :)

I just re-read this post and realised - I need a pet and a treadmill! :D

you are lucky to love that part of you placebo

i developed a belly last year due to anti pshycotic meds and now am on a permanant diet and having to work out twice a day. its still there although i'm losing the fat in my face and top half. so good for you liking your belly :D

i too am struggling with this although i am not underweight. i have not stopped my medication lately because i always become way too ill. i have managed to get off alot of medications due to hard work in theropy and dbt tho. i have found that some meds cause weight gain more than others and having told my dr that i have eating disorder she tries to keep me away from them. maybe you could do the same? glad you are not suddenly stopping. i went from being anorexic and very much underweight to overweight but i find its the price i pay for sanity .....but then again i dont exercise so i really should get on that im sure it would make me feel better as well, endorphins and all that. take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been taking Zyprexa for psychosis for 11 years and I initially put on weight, but i've been a stable weight for 6 years now.

Zyprexa is most definelty the best anti p ive tried over 23 years - i've tried 10.

I think it's a man/woman thing - it's socially acceptable for a man to be 'beefy'

And it might also be an age thing - i'm 49 and not the slightest bit bothered about my weight - as long as I stay well !!

Archived