Mental Health Forums

New P-Doc,

xoomer

I got a new p-doc, and I went to see him and it seems to be that everytime I go to a new pdoc 3 in the last year... and I hate the need to reconvince the dr of whats wrong with me.

So far this dr thinks that my problem is bipolor 1 and some sort of panic disorder. now I have to go in and do blood work... and then I go see him in two weeks and see how long it takes him to see what I'm doing... I mean things are a lot different when I'm medicated. if he were to see me not medicated.... than he might see things different..

I just kinda discouraged.

But the good news is he gave me ambien so I can sleep.

That's great xoomer! :)

I mean you obviously didn't feel like you were getting the treatment you need and I'm sorry to hear that, of course, but you managed to keep in mind that at least some good came out of it. That kind of balance between good and bad, remembering that it's not an "Either absolutely good or absolutely horrible" situation, that's impressive to me. I can't do it without really putting myself into it.

As for getting to know yet another pdoc and having to convince him of things you've already chewed out with previous ones. I know the bitter taste of that pill. I've always thought it funny that these "doctor" people think they can tell me what's wrong with me, but they can't even bother to talk to each other and get their stories straight before painting a brand new picture of me from scratch. Seems odd, doesn't it? Well it does to me anyhow...

I hope you can get through the whole intake thing as quickly and as calmly as possible so it's not too much of a drain, usually never takes even a handful of meetings just to recant your chronology and therapy history in my experience. Tough it out and let us know how it goes.

I'm not sure if I should put this down, because I feel like I shouldn't but I think that I ought to:

No doctor in the world knows what you're going through better than you, yourself. Some mental conditions are so impossible to figure out from the outside looking in, it requires assertive action from the patient (of all people) to put the doctor on the right track. If your doc is guessing bipolar and you think he's wrong, don't be shy about telling them! If he persists and you think he's wrong, get a second opinion! If that fails, don't stop trusting your gut. Your very being is trying to tell you how to get better so listen to your inner thoughts and feelings about what it is exactly you're going through. Learn as much as you can on your own on how your "gut-diagnosis" is best treated, consider how that treatment effectiveness would weigh against the treatment you're getting and if you believe you know better - trust yourself you probably do. 12 years of medical school doesn't make your doctors gods! They're as fallible and distracted as the rest of us, so trust yourself first, and the docs second, when it comes to picking out the best treatment for you.

The above is my opinion and mine alone, please don't accept it as if it were written in stone. I speak from my own experience and others may give opposite advice from theirs.

I hope you can get through the whole intake thing as quickly and as calmly as possible so it's not too much of a drain, usually never takes even a handful of meetings just to recant your chronology and therapy history in my experience. Tough it out and let us know how it goes.

I'm not sure if I should put this down, because I feel like I shouldn't but I think that I ought to:

No doctor in the world knows what you're going through better than you, yourself. Some mental conditions are so impossible to figure out from the outside looking in, it requires assertive action from the patient (of all people) to put the doctor on the right track. If your doc is guessing bipolar and you think he's wrong, don't be shy about telling them! If he persists and you think he's wrong, get a second opinion! If that fails, don't stop trusting your gut. Your very being is trying to tell you how to get better so listen to your inner thoughts and feelings about what it is exactly you're going through. Learn as much as you can on your own on how your "gut-diagnosis" is best treated, consider how that treatment effectiveness would weigh against the treatment you're getting and if you believe you know better - trust yourself you probably do. 12 years of medical school doesn't make your doctors gods! They're as fallible and distracted as the rest of us, so trust yourself first, and the docs second, when it comes to picking out the best treatment for you.

The above is my opinion and mine alone, please don't accept it as if it were written in stone. I speak from my own experience and others may give opposite advice from theirs.

No I believe the Bi Polar designation. I'm just saying that I'm so frustrated that My counseler who is in the same building and my old p-doc is down the street like a block and a half...

and no one talks to each other.... Oh well I have my ambien.. I can sleep now...

it seems out of order that you would have to 'convince' them of a diagnosis. i always found that the mh team was incapable of communication (two were next door to each other and still blamed post for not getting each others recommendations).

glad you got some help sleeping anyway, hope it works and you get some rest.

xxx

Archived