Mental Health Forums

Addicted To Zopiclone

sanctuary

Ok, no one knows, at least until now.

I have been getting them from the internet and I am taking at least 3-4 a day.

Anyone got any experience that can help me to see the light.? I just escape with them but I'm thinking they may be causing more problems than solving.

Any experience appreciated.

Thanks

x

hey there, i used to abuse zopiclone would take up to 8 a day loved them, then i stopped and realised that i was addicted, i was buying them off some dodgy dealer each week, but i fessed up to my gp who helped me wean myself off them, that would be my advice fess up to the gp about what you have been doing. and i dont need to tell you that buying any meds off internet is dodgy and may not be the real deal. good luck with it

paris

Hi i tooooooooatly know what you mean im on them 7.5mg at the moment and my dr keeps trying to wein me off them saying my other meds will make me sleeo but i wonthave it, sometimes i change his script from one box to 2 but thats because im scared of being awake at night when i do silly things cos theres no1 2 talk to, i sometimes have more than 1 a day i didnt no you could get them online? where from?? i love the taste dont you. I understand u completely xx

I clearly need to tell gp.

I am having heart palpitations and because I am no other medication apart from citalopram (which never caused heart palps) I think it's time I stopped. The heart palps take my breath away and then I get panicky and also my memory is strating to become really bad so not good.

Sophie...please don't go down this road. Like Paris said, internet drugs ARE dodgy and I shouldn't be doing it. Don't get me wrong - they were right for a while, but now it's all wrong :-(

xx

ive got the same doseage zopiclone, and to be honest, even mixed with diazapam and alcohol, they dont touch me. i got a bollocking for this at my assessment, but i pointed out that as they didnt do much for me i wasnt bothering with them anymore. if you dont want to tell your GP, try valerian root suppliments from any health food shop...these work better and arent addictive.

sorry if this isint quite the advice you wanted to hear, but its something ive found that is waaaaaaay better than zopiclone and you dont need to buy it from the internet. the only side effect ive found from it is that i sleep too deeply, and im a bit dozier than usual for about the first 20mins after i get up. i hope this may be of some help to get you off these pills and stop you getting so panicky. i know lack of sleep is an absolute bitch, so i was so happy to be told about these as they have made such a difference.

I was on zopiclone, prescribed by my GP, which I needed at the time for nights when I was in crisis and needed respite - during Summer this would be every other night for about a month. I managed to come off them completely, not weaning myself, just stopping - as my GP advised. At the same time as withdrawing, not the same time as the z. I was taking Quiet Life herbal tablets at the low dose. I had no problems, just a bit of dizziness.

Ok, no one knows, at least until now.

I have been getting them from the internet and I am taking at least 3-4 a day.

Anyone got any experience that can help me to see the light.? I just escape with them but I'm thinking they may be causing more problems than solving.

Any experience appreciated.

Thanks

x

Hello I am a benzo addictt.

Z-drugs, such as zopiclone act like benzos, so you need some decent expert advice.

Whatever you do don't just stop taking them as it could be dangerous.

I have had shit with my benzo addiction, and I don't know what I would have done, if it were not for this support site

They know more than doctors.

I would strongly urge you to join and ask for advice.

They are a friendly bunch, who do not judge, and who genuinely care about their members.

Its free too.

The zoppys could be causing you depression, because, like benzos they 'work' for a few days and then they start to give you shit.

That site will advise you on how to get off them safely.

You will be glad you joined.

x

I clearly need to tell gp.

I am having heart palpitations and because I am no other medication apart from citalopram (which never caused heart palps) I think it's time I stopped. The heart palps take my breath away and then I get panicky and also my memory is strating to become really bad so not good.

Sophie...please don't go down this road. Like Paris said, internet drugs ARE dodgy and I shouldn't be doing it. Don't get me wrong - they were right for a while, but now it's all wrong :-(

xx

i get palpitations and chest pain from valium

I would strongly urge you to visit that site before you see your GP.

They told me how to approach my GP

Very few doctors know about hypno-benzo addiction.

Give them a visit, they will look after you like they did me.

Now I am a bit more clued up, thanks to that site I linked up there, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

take great care

ive got the same doseage zopiclone, and to be honest, even mixed with diazapam and alcohol, they dont touch me. i got a bollocking for this at my assessment, but i pointed out that as they didnt do much for me i wasnt bothering with them anymore. if you dont want to tell your GP, try valerian root suppliments from any health food shop...these work better and arent addictive.

sorry if this isint quite the advice you wanted to hear, but its something ive found that is waaaaaaay better than zopiclone and you dont need to buy it from the internet. the only side effect ive found from it is that i sleep too deeply, and im a bit dozier than usual for about the first 20mins after i get up. i hope this may be of some help to get you off these pills and stop you getting so panicky. i know lack of sleep is an absolute bitch, so i was so happy to be told about these as they have made such a difference.

Sorry to sound a smart arse, but valerian acts on the GABA receptors in the brain, so could actually make you worse.

Valerian is ok for people not addicted to benzos or hypnos but for us addicts its bad news.

I also urge you to join http://www.thetrap.org.uk

Coming off benzos and hypnos too quick can be very dangerous.

no worries SW...i suppose because they did nothing for me and i didnt see the point of taking them that i found an alternative before i got the chance to get addicted. was just trying to think of an alternative to getting pills from the internet. sorry for my wrong info sanctuary - hope your doing ok today.

Hey,

I was/am addicted to Zolpidem (Ambien/Stilnox) which I hear is similar to what you're taking. I started because when you consume 2 or 3 12.5 mg tablets, you get slight hallucinations and a very calming feeling. I no longer hallucinate but I do feel very calm and groggy when I take them. I enjoy it far too much, and have been going through a prescription (14 pills) every week for the last 12 months. My doctor is suspicious but understands to some extent and has cut me down to a pack every 2 weeks. Still a lot, but it's actually become easy.

The best thing to do, I found, if you're not comfortable discussing this with your GP, is to keep them hidden so you don't see them. Whatever amount you usually take, reduce it by 1/3, even if this means breaking a pill in half. For a week or more use this reduced dose, and then drop it down a bit more.

The difficult thing is when you tell yourself "a few more will be fine, just for today" and you go to your pill box and get more out. This has to be avoided. It's definitely a matter of willpower, but the first and often hardest step is knowing you're addicted and you've done that.

Seroquel gave me severe tachycardia, even if I only took one. It's a side effect that some people experience and can occur with many types of medication. I stopped taking Seros cold turkey because I would go very pale an feel intensely ill.

Good luck, I know you're strong enough to do it. If I can, you can.

Well, contrary to advice I went cold turkey and after a week I am clear of the addiction..

I had my first proper sleep last night.

Thank you to everyone for your support. I beat it!!!!

:lol:

I have some Zopiclone. I was under the impression, from what my GP said they were weak sedatives, the type given to little old ladies. And no where in the same league as Valium.

Blimey I didn't realise they were so popular.

Soph

I got help from thetrap.org.uk.

There are people on there who are addicted to zopiclone and other z-drugs.

They recommend that you see a professional, to authorise a cross over to valium.

Although there are many well meaning replies on this thread (no offence, and sorry if I sound a smart arse, I dont mean to) you really need to reduce verrrrrrrry slowly.

Valium has a long half life, and as the z-drugs act on the same brain receptors, this is why people addicted to Z-drugs need to cross over to valium.

Thetrap.org.uk will suggest a slow taper schedule and relevant doses for you to stick to.

It is dangerous to either stop abruptly or reduce too rapidly from the z drugs as they have a short half life and you can get interdose withdrawal symptoms.

Thetrap really know what they are talking about, and they know more than doctors.

They work on the Ashton protocol. This is done by Professor Heather Ashton, who is a benzo recovery expert, and has worked with many people who are addicted to these sorts of drugs.

Not many doctors know about the ashton protocol, so it is best that you seek advice from thetrap and then see a professoinal.

Thetrap are friendly and non judgemental, and all they want to do is get people off these drugs safely with minimal distress.

good luck

• 8 months later...

Beat me up, call me names, tell me I'm an idiot but I can't keep this in any longer. I am back to this again after nearly a year. Yes this post is nearly a year old (ish) but, well, I am back with a new perspective.

I ordered a LOAD more from the internet a while ago to help me escape from the reality of living and for a while it worked. Infact, I thought I was doing ok. But, I have 3 tablets left and I am pissed off about not having any more. Crutch? Yes. Addiction? Not sure about that. Am I as addicted to zopiclone as I am to fags? No, I don't believe I am. The thought of having no more zopiclone EVER is actually ok. The thought of never having another fag is NOT OK. Same with sex. If I thought I would never have it again EVER I would be beside myself. But zopiclone. No. I just want a break sometimes and sleeping is not addictive it is fucking necessary.

Talk about battle of conscience. I am battling it like a beast right now. But I don't believe at the heart of it I am addicted. I believe I am seduced by reality of having a sleep during times of extreme stress but that I have taken it a step too far and got used to it. I don;t have the palps anymore and I still get to sleep on two of them even after months.

Ok, so, no I will NOT tell my doctor. I normally would but I'm not going to have it marked down on my notes that I'm an addict. I came off them before I can do it again. Oh fucking hell, seems like I'm back to square one but I'm not. I am learning alot about myself.

Done. From 2moro.. no more induced sleep. Fucking shit shit shit shit bollocks. x

• 4 years later...

Archived