Mental Health Forums

Who Are You ?

Shelley

I can relate to the chameleon thing, that's a good use of expression, (changeing to fit in with your suroundings all the time) placebo.

And I can relate to having emotions and feelings of a child too, meme. Im often called imature.

I am me myself I. Wee bit mixed up and have BPD and other kack but I am a human being who only wants to be treated same way I treat others and that is with respect. Sadly that does not always happen but that is life x

First response, will come back though on this.

who would you like me to be?

Hey BB, I don't understand your answer, it's not about who others want you to be, it's how you personally see your self and wether or not you have any sence of personal identity, and if so what is it.

In my first session my pdoc asked me to describe myself.

I didnt know what to say. I dont struggle to think of things to say, the problem is there are so many things, and i dont know which order to put them in.

Ok anna, sry, did say it was my first response.

ok who i am, i am a jelly in a mould, it takes time for me to settle, once chilled enough i become more of a solid state, but with a wobble, i may be made up with many tasty things, however there is one ingredient that does just not fit, its part of a carcass and made up of its bones, this is how i am supposed to set myself, however again, over time now, there is a new ingredient which doesn't need carcass, infact it is natural, so i am full of diffrent tastes, with now natural bond, and is either liked or not as any kind of things, and yes i wobble, but i never fall apart.

Hows that anna?

xxxx

Anna, it takes a long time to be able to self identify, also it takes a long time to even acknowledge your bad and GOOD parts of yourself. Why i put good in caps is alot of people look on there bad parts more, specialy if you have issues with yourself. The other way i will say is, until reach the point, where you don't see yourself as a BPD person or other mental illness of image and identiy prob, is this is when you will except, ok i have mental illness, but it is not the SOUL me, this means stop looking at the past in a negative way or trying to control what is done is done, now it is the step forward and excepting ones self and work on the bad and GOOD. that will help you start being more aware of your identity.

I still stometimes struggle, but now i have belief in my self, i am not dependant on the past, i except the step forward. There is so many ways to finding yourself, all it needs is opening yourself up and keep open mind. Good therapy can help with this.

Don't beat yourself up, you may not have words yet of yourself, but it will come.

xxx hun

Thanks BB, I guess it's a learning curve, only when I have had therapy for my past can I possibly begin to move forwards, I've stuck my head in the sand for so long, damping down my emotions and memories with alcohol and drugs, only when I am free of all of that can I begin to learn who I am.

I have been reading some books recently about attachment theory. This is my understanding of it.

An early childhood, a good parent mirrors back the child's emotions so that the child feels validated, understands his or her emotions, and has a label for them. E.g. "I now realise that is anger, and it is ok for me to feel those things because mummy says so". Understanding their emotions gives them a strong sense of identity.

A neglectful parent mirrors back not what the child is feeling, but what they are feeling themself. So when the child is happy the parent is angry, for example. People who are neglectful tend to have serious psychological issues so what they mirror back is invevitably negative stuff. The child's sense of identity is tied up in the parents issues. Its called the alien self. They do not understand themself or their emotions.

When they get older they either project out the alien self (i.e. imagine other people are feeling negative stuff about them, hence paranoia) OR they reject it altogether. The latter leaves them with the horrible question: "who am I anyway?". This is what people with BPD have to face.

I am (name). i am seperated from hub, have 2 young kids, a mortgage, can't work at the moment for health reasons. My health isn'y great, i am quirky and have some issues (but doesn't everybody)?

I would not say I am BPD. That is only a small part of me and I don't feel i will be BPD forever.

Archived