Mental Health Forums

Anyone On Duloxetine( Cymbalta)?

Faerielight

just had my anti d changed from citalopram to duluxotine but i dont know anyone who has tried it.. i took first dose today.. hope its gona work and not have bad side effects or interactions with all my other meds and illnesses.

anyone had experience of this med? its the newest SNRI.

thanks, faerie x

Hi hun i am on this, i was first on 30mg then went up to 60mg, then 90mg, then i was allowed to go up to 120mg, that level is not the prescribed guideline, but i did well on the high dose. I only had small side effect at first and that was travel sickness, other than that i pretty much don't get anything. I will like to add though, when your on a higher dose and you skip you tablets, is that i get some sort of brain thing, not sure if its a zap, but sounds like a crunching sound lol, that if i skip some tablets.

I will advise you that this drug has to be tapered off very slowely when stopping, so don't go straight off it.

Other than that, it seems to work for me, havent put on weight or anything on it.

Good luck

thanks guys.. pluma.. actually my rhemetologist suggesteed it cos i have fibromyalgia and a lot of body pain and its supposted to be good for pain!

I also have m.e and they're trialing the drug for m.e , so i thought id try it for those things , but mainly cos ive been severely depressed for 2 years solid and nothing is working.. citalopram hasnt done a thing!.. i'll keep u posted as to hpw it goes! ..

BB.. goad its working for u.. and im glad its weight neutral cos i know we both have eds. Metasipine was the only anti d that worked but i put on 3 1/2 stone and i hated the weight gain.

I am scared of the "brain zaps" .. my friend was on effexor which is also an SNRI and she said it was horrific if she missed a dose and when she came off it .

hugs, faerie x

Hi fairie, when i mean zaps or this crunching sound its nothing painfull or anything its just a weird sensation, thats when i know that i havent took my med for 2 days. Mine normaly comes throught the night, when i move or somthing, like i say, just weird sensation. The way you come off this med, is very slow indeed, well should be, so you dont suffer any probs. i am now on just 30mg- 60mg, due to my choice, but i have thought about putting it back up, when i have got depressed again. Other than that, this med is like sertiline which was another good one for me, these meds have a sedative effect, which is really effective for me, and really got on well with my anti p.

Good luck hun, just go up slowely, and im sure it will help you. Just remember, even though its only up to 90mg, under doc thinking it can go as i said above to 120mg. Oh yeah it is good for pain in ME and that :)

xxx

good luck faeirie

im interested in your progress too, you know we have te fibro / chs in common, bleug, and im NOT into going up on my methadone again.

have started physio btw, but te pains getting worse, plus im depressed again.

you know i said id NEVER take another ssri/ssni, migt tink about a tricyclic... bt cymbalta or lyrica im thinking about. just wary of altering brain chemistry, and tose awful s/effects.

i really really hope you get on well with it though, and i know everyones different wit regards to meds. I hope it works magically and gives you some hope and light, and a lay off from some pain.

take care dear,

xx anne mare

i'm on this 60mg and it does help with my depression and also i have no side effects. if i forget a dose i do feel sick though

hope this helps

starryx

Hi, I'm on duloxetine now after years of prozac, and the change in me has been amazing...I feel like I have the real person back now instead of some lousy imposter. S x

I've been on Cymbalta for at least 2 or 3 years now. I started off at 30 mgs, then gradually raised it to the present level of 60 mgs/night. It seems to work pretty well for me, and no bad side effects either, which is a relief! I do agree tho, that if you decide to discontinue Cymbalta this needs to be done gradually, under a doctor's supervision, you shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't just stop it abruptly.

The anti-d that worked best of all for me was Prozac--it was wonderful, I was suddenly so happy after being miserable for years, and as a bonus lost a lot of weight without even trying!! Only a couple of years later it suddenly stopped being effective, and that happens sometimes, it's called "Prozac poop-out". (I know--lovely name lol!) I've tried Prozac since then, but it's never worked as well as that first time. Damn!!!

But the Cymbalta does help, so I guess I should quit complaining!

• 1 month later...

I have been on a daily 60mg dose of Cymbalta for about 2 and a half months and I am really happy with it I was on Cytalopram for 3 months beforehand and it didn't touch the sides..(and I was a bit zombie like). But I know each med is different for each person. I've had no side effects, I have developed a sleeping pattern of sorts and whist my moods have evened out I don't feel medicated at all. Hope you do well on them!

hi guys.. glad its worked for some of you.. its been awful for me! felts sooo crazy and suicidal and loads of physical effects so am tapering off it, am down to 20 mg and then im gona switch back to citalopram.. i have never found an anti d that works for my depression,, damn it! the duloxetine is hell to taper off.. i m so sick, dizzy, fluey. and it didnt touch my fibro pain unfortunately .

faerie x

Archived