Mental Health Forums

Your Opinion.

Myers

Recently I wanted to see what would happen if I revealed my diagnosis (psychopathy) to a group of strangers. I was completely honest with them, and, while I didn't give them my life story, I did answer some questions. And I got a lot of very interesting reactions. So I would like to see what your humble opinion of psychopaths is. If you hate psychopaths with an ingrained passion and feel it's your God-given duty to annihilate them, go ahead and say so. I won't be offended, as long as you answer truthfully.

Much obliged.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myers, pleased to meet you. I thought in your other thread you explained to meme that you were not a psychopath and that you were um, ASDS or something??? Going along the being honest route I just wanted you to clarify this for me please.

Myers,

I just did a bit of research and it seems ASPD and sociopaths/psychopaths are often confused. Would you say the below is an accurate description:

Psychopathic Versus Antisocial Personality Disorder

Psychopathy and antisocial personality disorder are similar but not identical. Antisocial personality disorder manifests as a constellation of antisocial and criminal behaviours. Psychopathy, by contrast, refers to a cluster of deviant personality traits and behaviours that do not necessarily include criminal activity. Psychopaths, while often dabbling on the border of criminality, may never actually commit crimes for which they could be arrested, and many people who commit crimes are not psychopaths (although the majority of extremely violent criminals are).

Read more: http://personalitydisorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/personality_traits_of_a_psychopath#ixzz0O5chSlap

I'm a psychopath. In the DSM-IV, antisocial personality disorder is the accepted term for psychopath and sociopath. Although, many professionals prefer to differentiate those terms. I was just explaining the difference.

Myers,

I just did a bit of research and it seems ASPD and sociopaths/psychopaths are often confused. Would you say the below is an accurate description:

Psychopathic Versus Antisocial Personality Disorder

Psychopathy and antisocial personality disorder are similar but not identical. Antisocial personality disorder manifests as a constellation of antisocial and criminal behaviours. Psychopathy, by contrast, refers to a cluster of deviant personality traits and behaviours that do not necessarily include criminal activity. Psychopaths, while often dabbling on the border of criminality, may never actually commit crimes for which they could be arrested, and many people who commit crimes are not psychopaths (although the majority of extremely violent criminals are).

Read more: http://personalitydisorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/personality_traits_of_a_psychopath#ixzz0O5chSlap

Yeah, it's accurate based on the behavior.

You are clearly brain defective. Not your fault but I wouldn't like to be around someone like you for very long if at all. Having no empathy or guilt makes you a scary individual but I guess you like that?

Having said that, the world would not be diverse if there weren't people like you to vilify and everyone loves to hate someone.

I guess you're luckier than most because you don't actually care or give a shit about others. That makes you a formidable individual and I have heard that most top bankers are also psychopaths.

In this world today of capitalism, someone like you has the potential to be extremely rich and successful in the business world. Hate to think why you are on a website for mental health and not in prison or at the polar opposite on a fat pension from the bank!!

Radical honesty as it's meant to be. That's me. Might offend others but can't offend a psychopath right? LOL

I think anti-socials have a hard time getting involved in peer support communities. They usually have a hard enough time with one-on-one relationships. The way I understand psychopaths usually enjoy acting aggressively, hurting others and breaking the law, and they never feel any kind of remorse about any of those things. They don't learn from their mistakes, have no conscience and lack empathy.

They're the mythical big bad wolf. Their smiles have sharp fangs. They will huff and puff and blow your house down to get what they want without compunction. They will eat you and your grandma if you let them trick you. They are people, but they've become monstrous people. They will do everything in their power, with blatant disregard to morality, to achieve their personal goals and satisfy their individual needs.

I don't think we should annihilate psychopaths but I think we all need to be careful of them, including the psychopaths among us. They are dangerous to the extreme to anyone in the way of them getting what they want. Too many psychopaths are locked away only after they've committed heinous crimes. I'd rather see them all locked up before they get a chance to destroy the lives of innocent people.

So no, I'm not pleased to meet you. You scare me. I'm worried you'll lie to me, trick me and hurt me to get what you want. I know you won't be in the least bit bothered to do any of those things if you think it will earn you some kind of value. I'm not being mean, cruel or unfair in my opinion. I'm being, for once, completely normal. I'd rather not say anything else for fear you'll want some kind of revenge to satisfy your perverted need for justice.

I don't blame you for what you are, but I'm scared shitless of what you might do. Please go away.

I'm still confused. You say you are not a psychopath and that you have this antisocial thing. Then you say they are one in the same. My interest has gone.

I don't blame you for what you are, but I'm scared shitless of what you might do. Please go away.

I know he wanted honesty, however, that is a horrible thing to say.

I won't take it back. I know it's unpleasant but it's the truth and that's what he asked for, no holds barred.

I'm sure it didn't bother him in the least if he is indeed anti-social. He probably found it amusing. It's not like anything I could say or do can truly offend someone who thinks of me as inferior prey...

Oh and I didn't ask for brutal honesty meme. But I appreciate it anyway. I agree it's quite a loathsome thing to say. I wouldn't say it to anyone who had feelings I could hurt.

Placebo, I just feel we ought to be supportive to people here and the fact that they have asked for honesty does not, to me, justify what you said.

I am sure it can't be nice being a psychopath and I imagine you get very little support or understanding from people. I try and judge people on their words and actions, not their diagnosis.

I think you fail to grasp the mind-frame in question. Remember what I wrote in your post about good and bad people? About moral equivalence being the necessary component in compromise? This is a person with no morals at all. I don't feel even remotely obliged to be supportive to a person with delusions of grandeur, no morals and no empathy. He doesn't need support, he needs supervision.

I don't judge him because I don't know him at all. I didn't say he was good or bad. Even in the remark you found so "horrible", what did I say? I said: "I don't blame you for what you are, but I'm scared shitless of what you might do. Please go away.". That's not a judgement, I was being sincere about my emotions.

I do know what psychopaths are because I've dealt with some in the past. I'm basing my opinion, not judgement but opinion, on those past experiences and the hard lessons they taught me. If you think I'm being intolerant that's because I don't tolerate real risk to my personal safety, and the personal safety of those I care for. And yes, that includes you meme. :)

I sincerely believe the normal rules do not apply in this case. I would sooner swallow a bullet than try and "make friends" with a psychopath.

Meme - a true psychopath wouldn't care an iota about being bad and wouldn't want support like this.

OK. However telling people to go away can also offend other people since it might lead newbies ople to believe that this is not a supportive or friendly place. I don't think people should be judged because of their diagnosis.

As Placebo explained to you at great length meme, he was not passing judgement. That is how he feels and was an appropriate response to the question.

I can understand your anger at reading such a response. It would seem unfair to a person who does not understand anti-socials. I don't think it's warranted in this case, but I understand what makes you feel this way.

As Placebo explained to you at great length meme, he was not passing judgement. That is how he feels and was an appropriate response to the question.

I find that patronising, Roses, although perhaps that was not your intention. I am going to have to agree to disagree with you two on this.

You are clearly brain defective. Not your fault but I wouldn't like to be around someone like you for very long if at all. Having no empathy or guilt makes you a scary individual but I guess you like that?

Having said that, the world would not be diverse if there weren't people like you to vilify and everyone loves to hate someone.

I guess you're luckier than most because you don't actually care or give a shit about others. That makes you a formidable individual and I have heard that most top bankers are also psychopaths.

In this world today of capitalism, someone like you has the potential to be extremely rich and successful in the business world. Hate to think why you are on a website for mental health and not in prison or at the polar opposite on a fat pension from the bank!!

Radical honesty as it's meant to be. That's me. Might offend others but can't offend a psychopath right? LOL

Actually, psychopaths in corporate business is a misconception. We happen to be a bit impulsive. Having control over people would be nice in a CEO or banker position. But sitting at a desk all day, filling out papers, is extremely boring, regardless of how much money it brings in. And then there's the matter of working up to that position, which entails a lot of hard work and listening to instructions. It is possible and does happen, but it's unlikely. And those psychopaths that do make it in business, usually end up doing some white collar crime or harassing their employees and getting sued.

As for myself, I never really liked the business scene.

No meme I ws just backing Placebo up there as I thought you had misunderstood his intentions. I would like to say at this point I am leaving this conversation as it's pointless.

I think anti-socials have a hard time getting involved in peer support communities. They usually have a hard enough time with one-on-one relationships. The way I understand psychopaths usually enjoy acting aggressively, hurting others and breaking the law, and they never feel any kind of remorse about any of those things. They don't learn from their mistakes, have no conscience and lack empathy.

Actually, I enjoy talking to people. Hell, I just enjoy talking. But it's more interesting when I get a response of some sort.

I don't think we should annihilate psychopaths but I think we all need to be careful of them, including the psychopaths among us. They are dangerous to the extreme to anyone in the way of them getting what they want. Too many psychopaths are locked away only after they've committed heinous crimes. I'd rather see them all locked up before they get a chance to destroy the lives of innocent people.

So no, I'm not pleased to meet you. You scare me. I'm worried you'll lie to me, trick me and hurt me to get what you want. I know you won't be in the least bit bothered to do any of those things if you think it will earn you some kind of value. I'm not being mean, cruel or unfair in my opinion. I'm being, for once, completely normal. I'd rather not say anything else for fear you'll want some kind of revenge to satisfy your perverted need for justice.

This is the sort of reaction I was expecting. That and morbid fascination, which I think is hilarious. I don't really understand why you are afraid, but I accept that you are. Although, I don't appreciate that you'd have us all locked up. Not all of us commit crimes.

Well Myers maybe that's a myth busted then, however it does take an individual without any moral conscience to be the head of organisationsto the extent that have a control over society. Try getting a job without a bank account for example. But that's another story.

Don't really want to indulge you, however I am extremely curious to find out exactly what is your scene?

I do know what psychopaths are because I've dealt with some in the past. I'm basing my opinion, not judgement but opinion, on those past experiences and the hard lessons they taught me. If you think I'm being intolerant that's because I don't tolerate real risk to my personal safety, and the personal safety of those I care for. And yes, that includes you meme. :)

I sincerely believe the normal rules do not apply in this case. I would sooner swallow a bullet than try and "make friends" with a psychopath.

Perhaps you have had poor experiences with psychopaths in the past. But, just like anyone else, we're not all the same. I assure you, I won't do anything to put your personal safety at risk.

Archived