Mental Health Forums

Your Opinion.

Myers

I don't mind you being here Myers and because you have a mental health problem, I feel you should be here, if that is what you want.

So, hi and welcome Myers. :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're as welcome on this forum as any other member, but what I know of psychoathy from reading "The mask of sanity" by "hervey cleckley" Free online book here and what I know of my own character, I would be inclined to feel afraid of psychopaths.

I, like many others, have felt emotionally damaged by people in my time.

I cant really judge you, but because you said you are a psychopath, that does make my warning radar bleep a bit.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

You're as welcome on this forum as any other member, but what I know of psychoathy from reading "The mask of sanity" by "hervey cleckley" Free online book here and what I know of my own character, I would be inclined to feel afraid of psychopaths.

I, like many others, have felt emotionally damaged by people in my time.

I cant really judge you, but because you said you are a psychopath, that does make my warning radar bleep a bit.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

I have yet to read Cleckley, but I have read Hare and Stout. Even after reading those, I find it odd that people are so surprised psychopaths exist in the world.

I should have brought this up earlier, but I just read it on the ASPD forum. Many of you have mentioned that you're afraid of psychopaths. Maybe I can change your mind about that.

One misconception of psychopaths is our heinous crimes. Only the most nefarious, impulsive, and stupid of psychopaths do such things. And those are the fantastic stories told for Hollywood movies and the media. And even documentaries are ridiculously dramatized while putting psychopaths in a negative light. In reality, few of us actually commit violent crimes, let alone heinous ones. The only things I kill on a day to day basis is time and boredom.

saying its a neurological condition is a bit of a cop out really, rather cowardly, and a subtle side stepping of any responsibility.

That, roxy is an incredibly hypocritical statement - read it again, except replace the subject of psychopathy with bpd.

This is a mental health forum and Meyers has a mental health diagnosis, that means he has every right to be here. Whether you chose to engage with him or not is up to you. As I said I would not like to come into contact with a psychopath because I would be concerned for my safety and that of my family, however that does not mean that he should leave the forum. Perhaps if he can abide by the rules of the forum then people can learn to understand this disorder a little better. As always caution is always advised with regards to forming any real bond with someone that could lead to real life contact. What someone says or projects themselves to be online is not always what they are in real life.

I dont understand why everyone is concerned with their 'safety.' How exactly can Myers harm you here, with or without intent? Arguably we do more damage to each other in our our highly emotional, triggering interactions. We have the same manipulative tendencies and provocative behaviors (in forum setting, not in the outside world) they just stem from different reasons.

If you think he'll try and manipulate you, dont interact with him personally, I cannot see how his presence in general forum discussion is anymore dangerous than my own. I am a highly intelligent, skilled manipulator, who due to being very empathic, knows exactly how to trigger pain and fear in you. If anything, lacking empathy, Myers would be less skilled in this area.

The difference between us is, I would need a reason to hurt you and Myers would not. We would both be forcing a reaction for our own entertainment.

What is your actual diagoses myers? I've been confused by reading this thread - Are you a psychopath, sociopath or other? Do you also qualify for aspd? Do you have any other comorbid disorders?

I find my instant reaction to you myers, the same as every person i meet, i instantly desire to understand them. I start with empathy - I see similarities in our conditions - I am very manipulative, i bore easily, i create drama for my own entertainment, i struggle to relate to people occasionally because they do not feel things the same way i do. In all of these similarities though, remains the difference that my actions stem from an emotional need for validation (except the boredom) and I feel things more than most, whereas you feel them less.

I am not scared of you. I would be wary of you if had to deal with you on a personal basis, but In this instance I am merely fascinated by you. (which you said you find rather funny.)

I'm actually very interested to hear your opinion on many of the topics on this forum, you provide something that has previously not existed here, an objective, emotionally removed opinion. Although it does concern me that some of your comments may upset the more sensitive among us. As a matter of courtesy, you should always label your posts as potential triggers, especially if you are offering negative opinions on people.

I expect someone to correct me on that request and say 'he doesnt understand etc.' But (based on what I have read) you are not a robot. You still understand human society and its conventions, you just find it difficult to relate to them. You may have no conscience, but you still possess logic, and I would wager that by this stage in your life you have learned, not by instinct, but through observations enough about how other humans function to have some idea of your affect on them. aspd's get better with age - this learning curve is what i attribute it to.

I have many questions for you myers -

Do you feel sadness and affection at all? are they there but just duller, or do you have no experience with classic emotions?

How did you realise this?

How do you feel towards people you should naturally feel an attachment towards - your parents, siblings etc?

Are you religious? How do you feel about spirituality? Do you believe in God, or another deity, or any spiritual presence or connection?

Are you academically intelligent? I note that aspd is often associated with learning difficulties.

What is your memory like?

Do you remember 'happy' moments? does your lack of emotion extend to feelings of content and joy?

a neurological condition is one that is ever present, like adhd, bpd is mh, mh and nuerological are not the same thing, thats like saying parkinsons and psychopathy are the same. i wasnt claiming it wasnt a mh condition, and its not the least bit hypocritcal, for it to be that i would have to be going around claiming or accepting the claim that bpd is nuerological, when its mh. if im getting words muddled then i apologuise but am going by what i know my dx pysch explained as the difference between my adhd being nuerogical and my dissiciative problems being mh (or emotional)

oh and i dont have any kind of problem with anyone using this forum, just think after the last psychopath who was here people should be careful of emotionally investing in something that could leave them vulnerable and at risk

What is your actual diagoses myers? I've been confused by reading this thread - Are you a psychopath, sociopath or other? Do you also qualify for aspd? Do you have any other comorbid disorders?

Psychopathy and sociopathy technically mean the same thing. The term "sociopath" was created to avoid confusion, because some people assume "psychopath" means "psychotic", which just isn't true. Some websites claim that sociopaths and psychopaths are different based on certain characteristics, but they're really not. I qualify for both ASPD and psychopathy. Although, I haven't committed any serious crimes, and have never been convicted. I've been diagnosed with a lot of things, but ASPD and psychopathy are the only ones that have stuck.

I expect someone to correct me on that request and say 'he doesnt understand etc.' But (based on what I have read) you are not a robot. You still understand human society and its conventions, you just find it difficult to relate to them. You may have no conscience, but you still possess logic, and I would wager that by this stage in your life you have learned, not by instinct, but through observations enough about how other humans function to have some idea of your affect on them. aspd's get better with age - this learning curve is what i attribute it to.

Oh yeah. It's fairly easy for us to understand, at least on an intellectual level, how normals function.

I have many questions for you myers -

Do you feel sadness and affection at all? are they there but just duller, or do you have no experience with classic emotions?

[trigger?] Yeah. For example, my aunt died a few weeks ago. I was a little disappointed to see her gone. She was always fun to talk to. Other than that, I didn't care much.

How did you realise this?

When my parents hauled my ass to the psych ward.

How do you feel towards people you should naturally feel an attachment towards - your parents, siblings etc?

We had a indifferent-hate relationship. My parents were authoritarian-like Baptists. We didn't exactly see eye to eye on ... anything ...

Are you religious? How do you feel about spirituality? Do you believe in God, or another deity, or any spiritual presence or connection?

No. I'm an Atheist. Although, my sisters are also less than spiritual. So part of that might be due to my upbringing, not my condition.

Are you academically intelligent? I note that aspd is often associated with learning difficulties.

ASPD is more associated with apathy than learning difficulties. I got As in school, but never did my homework or studied.

What is your memory like?

Poor.

Do you remember 'happy' moments? does your lack of emotion extend to feelings of content and joy?

I remember times that were joyful. But I don't remember feeling happy. Same with being afraid and sad. My memories are almost dreamlike. I can remember the instant and what happened, but I don't remember any emotion or feeling associated with it. Sometimes I don't even know if what I remember was a dream or an actual event. I don't know if that has to do with psychopathy, but that's what I "feel".

I can feel content and joy, but it's short lived and dull.

my aunt died a few weeks ago. I was a little disappointed to see her gone. She was always fun to talk to. Other than that, I didn't care much.

I am like this. If a relative died, I would be disappointed for what I had lost, not what they had lost. I am very egocentric/self-centred and don't always have a lot of empathy.

However I know I am not a psychopath since I have a conscience. The idea of not having a conscience would scare the hell out of me.

tihs quote came from google

The psychopath generally has an excessive need to acquire thrilling and exciting stimulation. Some psychopaths may have "an imperative need to deal with a continuous bombardment of sensation and primary process which may serve well to keep terrifying images of disintegration at bay"

I was interested to know your vew point on this statement and weather it aplies to you. would you say that you engage in activities with a lot of emotional stimuli. in an attempt to feel more. i just find it very difficult to fathom how somone can live with little or no emotions.

exactly my earlier statment about loving the idea of living without emotion was probably a bit over zealous. id like to feel thing a little less intensly at times but as to having no emotion i dont think i could live like that

The psychopath generally has an excessive need to acquire thrilling and exciting stimulation. Some psychopaths may have "an imperative need to deal with a continuous bombardment of sensation and primary process which may serve well to keep terrifying images of disintegration at bay"

I was interested to know your vew point on this statement and weather it aplies to you. would you say that you engage in activities with a lot of emotional stimuli. in an attempt to feel more. i just find it very difficult to fathom how somone can live with little or no emotions.

[trigger potential]

Activities that I find "emotionally stimulating" are nothing more than a cheap thrill or adrenaline rush. Extreme sports, kinky sex, drugs, and crime would be some examples. Pretty much anything that has a risk factor. "...to keep terrifying images of disintegration at bay..." It's more like to relieve boredom, if you ask me... But sky diving or homicide has about as much emotional stimulation for me as you finding a nickel on the sidewalk.

[trigger potential]

Activities that I find "emotionally stimulating" are nothing more than a cheap thrill or adrenaline rush. Extreme sports, kinky sex, drugs, and crime would be some examples. Pretty much anything that has a risk factor. "...to keep terrifying images of disintegration at bay..." It's more like to relieve boredom, if you ask me... But sky diving or homicide has about as much emotional stimulation for me as you finding a nickel on the sidewalk.

so it must be kind of like when yur on strong antideppresants the kind that numb your emotions

could i ask, have you ever had your cortisol hormon checked?

the adrenal factor is from your adrenal gland, and the hormon that produces the flight and fight response is by one hormone and another.

also have u had your pituraly gland checked?

just a thought

a neurological condition is one that is ever present, like adhd, bpd is mh, mh and nuerological are not the same thing, thats like saying parkinsons and psychopathy are the same. i wasnt claiming it wasnt a mh condition, and its not the least bit hypocritcal, for it to be that i would have to be going around claiming or accepting the claim that bpd is nuerological, when its mh. if im getting words muddled then i apologuise but am going by what i know my dx pysch explained as the difference between my adhd being nuerogical and my dissiciative problems being mh (or emotional)

oh and i dont have any kind of problem with anyone using this forum, just think after the last psychopath who was here people should be careful of emotionally investing in something that could leave them vulnerable and at risk

Okay, sorry rozy, I wasn't considering the distinction between neurological and mh. However I'd like to point out that the distinction is fairly wobbly - yes, there is a difference between a neurological condition like adhd, which is a rewiring of the brain, if you will, and emotional disorders. However emotional disorders are still caused by chemical changes in the brain - many bpd traits are caused by fluctuations in serotonin and dopamine - bipolar is attributed to a more permanent disruption of these chemicals and others.

I think the biggest difference between the two is that neurological conditions change the way we think, whereas emotional disorder affect our moods and feelings, and can be combated by the logical part of our brain - however this doesnt make them any less real or debilitating.

And as far as i understand it, bpd, bipolar, aspd ect. is not well enough understood to classify them as soley either of the above.

could i ask, have you ever had your cortisol hormon checked?

the adrenal factor is from your adrenal gland, and the hormon that produces the flight and fight response is by one hormone and another.

also have u had your pituraly gland checked?

just a thought

Low cortisol and lack the neurotransmitter oxytocin. Among other things. My fight-or-flight response is inefficient. I also have low blood pressure, and I'm more prone to headaches and seizures.

does the fact that he has been honest about his condition mean anything? it does to me, it doesnt mean that i trust him, but that i am prepared to give him a chance. obviously people are frightened, but what can he do to you? if you are already afraid of him, then he's not goin to get any further than this with you.

it makes me sad that we havent even given this person a chance yet, he could have not told us, then potentially he would have a lot more power to control people or what ever it is he's meant to do.

i'm not trying to diss anyone, i understand that the very word psychopath might have seriously bad meaning for some, especially if they have encountered one, and its been negative.

Archived