Mental Health Forums

Your Opinion.

Myers

myers hi hope your day is going well

i just wondered weather u thought u were born a pyschopath or made into one

i belive i was made bpd but i wondered what u think

Born. My parents may have been somewhat abusive, but they considered it punishment for my less than desirable antics. I don't think they can be blamed for what I am. And I don't think anything they could have done would've changed me.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am guessing from the intrigue and the over a hundred replies you dont mind being asked questions so I guess I have one.

Is there something about people with BPD that interests you? With our emotional intensity we could be perceived at the opposite end of the spectrum from you.

Ginger

I am guessing from the intrigue and the over a hundred replies you dont mind being asked questions so I guess I have one.

Is there something about people with BPD that interests you? With our emotional intensity we could be perceived at the opposite end of the spectrum from you.

Ginger

I think people with BPD are interesting. Then again, I'm interested in psychiatry, and I can't speak for all psychopaths.

I'm so intrigued!

It's fascinating to think about how different disorders overlap. The numbness, the dreamlike feelings that myers describes are something I experience fairly regularly, though I've got the BPD clusterfuck of emotions which is on the OPPOSITE end of the spectrum.

Myers - I also find your interest in all of this to be really interesting and the fact that psychology is an interest of yours. It's just not something I'd think a psychopath would be interested in.

Also, a suggestion - I think that introducing yourself as "a psychopath" is going to freak people out 99.9% of the time. Saying you have antisocial personality disorder should yield MUCH better results. I think of myself as being really accepting of all mental disorders, but as soon as I saw you describing yourself as a psychopath, I immediately was imagining somebody who has chopped up bodies in his freezer lol.

Now I have a TOTALLY different understanding of the disorder and am finding all of this really interesting to learn about.

A question: if you could be instantly switched into a "normal" person, would you do it?

I think even if Myers is trying to manipulate us into a big huge debate, so what? It's healthier than any other ways ie committing crimes, of relieving boredom. I'm not a pyschopath, I've read the whole thread and find it interesting and entertaining! I'm assuming all those that are making regular replies are getting something from it as well.

Myers, you say you aren't aware of saying anything frightening and also that you find 'allies' useful. Calling yourself 'Myers' then telling us you are a psychopath is not going to go down well!

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi Myers

I would just like to offer you my support in being here. I know this has been mentioned throughout the post.

Im sorry that with some members you have been asked to leave etc, I believe some may have said this through fear (Ignorance). Labels and press reports often cause such a response but I would hope from the majority of people here this could be udnerstood a little better considering the same is said about people with personality disorders.

I ask from you the same as any other person here. Your adhere to the rules. Thats it, otherwise I really hope you are able to express yourself freely without the stress of a mask.

Take good care of yourself and thank you for sharing and more than that your honesty and patience.

One way of determining a true psychopath is their subtle inconsistencies and speech problems. The brain of a psychopath doesn't process information like a normal person's, which affects their verbal skills. They will often use more hand gestures than a normal person, and will use the wrong words when trying to describe something, or say "uhh..." a lot.

Welcome Myers

I do this, i have a hard time trying to convey what it is i'm actually trying to say. There is often a complete blankness in my mind when this happens. I kind of know what word it is i want to say but can't grasp it and will often say the wrong word which is sometimes the complete opposite, or has a completely different meaning to what it is i'm putting across. This for me is not something that happens every now and again, it happens in every conversation i have. It can be very frustrating. But i wouldn't say that this is a trait or symptom (whatever you would want to call it) that could or should be used to determine a true psychopath.

Aurora :)

One way of determining a true psychopath is their subtle inconsistencies and speech problems. The brain of a psychopath doesn't process information like a normal person's, which affects their verbal skills. They will often use more hand gestures than a normal person, and will use the wrong words when trying to describe something, or say "uhh..." a lot.

Welcome Myers

I do this, i have a hard time trying to convey what it is i'm actually trying to say. There is often a complete blankness in my mind when this happens. I kind of know what word it is i want to say but can't grasp it and will often say the wrong word which is sometimes the complete opposite, or has a completely different meaning to what it is i'm putting across. This for me is not something that happens every now and again, it happens in every conversation i have. It can be very frustrating. But i wouldn't say that this is a trait or symptom (whatever you would want to call it) that could or should be used to determine a true psychopath.

theres probably about 50 other conditions this particular aspect could indicate, and thats not including just being human

Welcome Myers

theres probably about 50 other conditions this particular aspect could indicate, and thats not including just being human

Eggsactly :)

ill post once

I aint afraid

I aint experienced (to my knowledge) a "psychopath"

so i have no qualms

(btw anyone who tries to manipulate me will be goin round in circles)

i dnt mean to offend (if i do then ignore it) but u could be the human science...

• 1 month later...

I'm fascinated. But then again I have a fascination for mankind, especially the so-called darker parts. Personally, I don't believe in light and dark, I believe things just are.

I read some of your replies and if I were to go on what you have said, I'd be damn close to a psychopath, alas, I am not. In many ways I lack a conscience, I always believe that I am justified in doing what I do, and I only ever do things I am believe I am justified in. My emotional range is somewhat lacking (at the moment, pretty much non-existent) and I do sometimes have a difficult time with overtly emotional people (this is in real life only mind you), get very easily bored and so on. And that thing about your brain feels, like it is just before you wake up, heck, I've felt like that my entire life, as well as it going at lightning speed, seemingly having a direct connection with my mouth and I am known to accidentally hit people when I talk since I use my arms so much (I blame my Italian heritage on this though). Also, I am misanthropic in nature, though people need to know that just because I detest mankind as a general whole, it doesn't mean that I do with individual people. Heck, there are people out there that I do very much care about. I have done all the tests that are available today (including the physical ones) and I only come up as BPD. Though as I see it, diagnosis or not, I still have the same issues.

I do agree with Barebones a lot though, I don't believe in the diagnosis as such. I do however believe that both psychopaths and sociopaths as diagnoses are redundant since to me, they are just the "male" version of BPD. I do recognize that males get diagnosed with BPD and females with Antisocial PD (grouping together here simply because it makes my life a bit easier) however, if one looks at the criteria and such one can see that they mirror each other but in societies views of how males and females are. They are also the only two PD's that contain SH (as a general rule, I do realize that there are exceptions) which is also another indicator that they are quite similar.

You say psychopathy is a biological condition only (something wrong with your brain), there are people that believe that this is true for people with BPD and all Axis I diagnoses. It doesn't relieve you from responsibility. Besides, we know far to little about the brain and how it interacts for us to be certain, even though some people believe there is proof, to me, until there is a complete picture (a complete brain mapping if you will) then I am going to see it all as hypothesis, worth thinking about but not worth putting any real effort in.

And no, you don't scare me, no one nor anything does. If you have heard enough and seen enough, things stop scaring you. And to be honest, to me, it's actually quite a nice place to be.

I have BPD but i feel I am by no means near to being close to sociopathic or psychopathic. I feel there is a big difference, but my brain is too tired to explain it righ now.

But no, I don't like being compared to a psychopath

I have BPD but i feel I am by no means near to being close to sociopathic or psychopathic. I feel there is a big difference, but my brain is too tired to explain it righ now.

Huuuh, I think I explained myself badly. I apologize if you took offence, it wasn't my intention.

Let me see if I can explain it a bit better. If one looks at society and pre disposed behaviours for men and women (I do recognize that is a very general view to take and of course there are always exceptions (I happen to be one)) one can see a pattern in it where in men it is more accepted to show violent behaviour than it is to show emotions and for women it happens to be the opposite. For example, most serial and multiple murderers happen to be men and their murders tend to have a more violent nature than the women serial murderers have(I can give numbers but am too tired to write them all down atm). This is just one example of many. What I was trying to say is that in many ways it is more natural for men to draw towards the (sometimes) violence and crime associated with Antisocial PD and for women to draw towards the more unstable emotional sides of BPD, since this is the way our society is, and has been constructed for many, many years. What I meant was that the two PD's (to me) seem to mirror a reaction to similar issues dependent on your gender. I recognize that men have BPD (I know of one myself) and women have Antisocial PD (I know one on this end as well) but as I said before, this is a generalization and I do realize that there are exceptions. However I do think that it is something worth thinking about. So no, I don't think BPD and Antisocial PD are the same in that sense, just that they mirror each other in terms of gender as a general rule, I have BPD myself and if someone told me I had no empathy I think I'd have an urge to slap them so I can understand your reaction.

Again, I apologize, I think I should just not write certain things with a long term sleep deprived brain.

Huuuh, I think I explained myself badly. I apologize if you took offence, it wasn't my intention.

Let me see if I can explain it a bit better. If one looks at society and pre disposed behaviours for men and women (I do recognize that is a very general view to take and of course there are always exceptions (I happen to be one)) one can see a pattern in it where in men it is more accepted to show violent behaviour than it is to show emotions and for women it happens to be the opposite. For example, most serial and multiple murderers happen to be men and their murders tend to have a more violent nature than the women serial murderers have(I can give numbers but am too tired to write them all down atm). This is just one example of many. What I was trying to say is that in many ways it is more natural for men to draw towards the (sometimes) violence and crime associated with Antisocial PD and for women to draw towards the more unstable emotional sides of BPD, since this is the way our society is, and has been constructed for many, many years. What I meant was that the two PD's (to me) seem to mirror a reaction to similar issues dependent on your gender. I recognize that men have BPD (I know of one myself) and women have Antisocial PD (I know one on this end as well) but as I said before, this is a generalization and I do realize that there are exceptions. However I do think that it is something worth thinking about. So no, I don't think BPD and Antisocial PD are the same in that sense, just that they mirror each other in terms of gender as a general rule, I have BPD myself and if someone told me I had no empathy I think I'd have an urge to slap them so I can understand your reaction.

Again, I apologize, I think I should just not write certain things with a long term sleep deprived brain.

There is no need to apologise. In fact I apologise for over reacting. I understand what you are saying

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hey ulrica, your right, i think i said in one of my past posts on this, that the new phsycopath name is anti social personality disorder, as it comes under phsycopathic. guess alot of disorders is being updated and that.

I only read a few posts on the first pages but i still amazes me when a person with a mental disorder (as I think we all do here) looks at a person with another mental disorder and tells him he is no good. When I was 16 I poked fun at an autistic guy who liked to spit he was in the same institution, he had autism; and could not communicate. Looking back at this I had a thought process of a bully. "If I make fun of this person then I can forget about my own inadequacies/faults".

Looking down on people for having mental health issues is like ridiculing someone for being physically disabled. You can do it but you will still be a jerk.

If people were considered criminals due to a condition they have been diagnosed with (and may not actually agree with), then it would be like that film with Tom Cruise in (Minority Report http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181689/) about thought police. Why treat people worse for having displayed some behavior which have been labeled mental than with the criminal justice system where unless you actually do something wrong u are not doing anything wrong.

I've met people who have wanted to change as a person and used religion as the instrument of their change. Everyone should get the benefit of the doubt till they actually do something wrong.

As I understand Myers has been given a label of "psychopath" but this does not mean u can blame him for all the murders "psychopathic" killers have done. Its just films and media which gives this condition a negative rap.

I only read a few posts on the first pages but i still amazes me when a person with a mental disorder (as I think we all do here) looks at a person with another mental disorder and tells him he is no good. When I was 16 I poked fun at an autistic guy who liked to spit he was in the same institution, he had autism; and could not communicate. Looking back at this I had a thought process of a bully. "If I make fun of this person then I can forget about my own inadequacies/faults".

Looking down on people for having mental health issues is like ridiculing someone for being physically disabled. You can do it but you will still be a jerk.

If people were considered criminals due to a condition they have been diagnosed with (and may not actually agree with), then it would be like that film with Tom Cruise in (Minority Report http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181689/) about thought police. Why treat people worse for having displayed some behavior which have been labeled mental than with the criminal justice system where unless you actually do something wrong u are not doing anything wrong.

I've met people who have wanted to change as a person and used religion as the instrument of their change. Everyone should get the benefit of the doubt till they actually do something wrong.

As I understand Myers has been given a label of "psychopath" but this does not mean u can blame him for all the murders "psychopathic" killers have done. Its just films and media which gives this condition a negative rap.

I completely agree with what you're saying. Films and media are responsible in giving quite a few MH disorders a bad reputation. I have seen schizophrenia, BPD, Antisocial PD and drug/alcohol addicts been portrayed in often incorrect ways. I think in fact that the percentage of people committing any sort of crime that have MH disorders in less than the people who commit crimes that don't. By that I'm saying that people commit crimes, not disorders, if that makes sense.

Honestly, I can't fully understand why one would be afraid, but whatever...

Less than 2 weeks ago I was in a place called priority house I believe its a generic name for the first port of call of NHS mental health accommodation (I could be wrong). Myers it was clear to me that when I saw a woman in about her late 50's accuse me of calling her a "whore" from down the corridor that she was paranoid. I know this because I could be talking to another patient and she would fly round the corner and accuse me of such. I dealt with this by shouting for the nurse. Not because it made me panic but because I had no control over how the "mental health professionals" would view a situation where I let this woman continue her "verbal attack". I sometimes have a propensity to give as good as I get but from experience I learned that if I argue with an unreasonable person then I can become unreasonable myself.

Whereas its okay for woman to get in my face and say whatever the hell they want, for example I was told I did not deserve to be in England. Okay I think, last time I checked I was the white guy and I'm being told this by a female Philipino who clearly had pre-rehearsed ideas about who has the rights to be in England and who doesn't. However that's okay, because she is not caucasian therefore (obviously in the mental health pro's opinion, alot of whom are foreign looking) she is not being racist. I made some statements of pure fantasy and as a result, I went from being a voluntary patient to being on 15min observation.

So people can get afraid, and this is a mental health forum so expect alot of paranoid people. I'm not sure you understand the concept of fear Myers but I won't hold that against you. I am pretty pragmatic, I can sometimes be stiffled by fear and at others forget or even be inspired by it. I think Darth Maul said "fear is my ally". I'm not sure if many people do the deadlift in here but if u are not scared the first time u lift a heavy weight u would be odd (cause fear keeps us from injury in some circumstances).

Its the first time I have heard of someone trying to protect themselves, their family and their communities; possibly we have a superman in our midst. I jest (but in all seriousness I have never heard the concept of an individual trying to protect their community, it implies that they know what their community feels even without being democratically elected!).

Archived