Mental Health Forums

Triggers

Joshua

Hi All

We receive quite a number of posts, tickets and reported posts each day from people complaining about being triggered about one post or another. I would like to set our position straight in regards to this. We can not police your triggers, this is a mental health forum in which people discuss past abuse, mental health issues and also sexual issues. We will not ask someone to change their posts, blogs or profiles as it triggers you.

Triggers are personal to yourselves and should you wish to discuss your feelings about someones posts, profile etc then you should approach them respectfully via PM. Please dont involve staff.

Thank you.

I have never reported ANY posts just because they trigger me. And, if I am triggered I'd have to ask myself.. did it have a "*** may trigger ***" warning. If it did and I wanted to avoid being triggered, why did I read it?

There are some things that are a fairly universal trigger but in general, what triggers one person may not trigger another, as Josh says. I have found on many occasions that things that are deeply upsetting for people on here are fine for me, and vice versa. So its not always possible to predict who (if anyone) will get triggered.