Mental Health Forums

Sensitive To Emotions.....

IcyAngel

I've always wondered if this is actually the reason behind my depression and the like......

but when I was really young, I remember being able to actually like 'sense' other people's emotions......I've always been able to pick it up.....could almost like, feel the emotion myself.....and the closer I stood to the person, the stronger I felt it.....

now, I still can look at a person and tell what their feeling accurately and very quickly......

I'm wondering if this could be what stresses me out most about being in public.....

to be honest, I wonder if I'm just seeing reflections of my own feelings in others.....or some such thing like that......

has anyone else been through it, or at least heard of it before?....

yeah i kind of know what you mean - like, extreme empathy right?

i dont know if people are like that cos of brain structure - they were born witrh an enlarged 'empathy' area, or, they learn to empathise with others cos they realise early on how crap life can be and you start to notice and feel sorry for others too...???

i remember feeling a lot of empathy for animals.

once, i was riding to school with this neighbour we used to give a lift to, cos she went to the same school as me, and we pulled up next to this lorry full of sheep, and they were looking at me, going BAAAA!

and my dad looked sadly at them and said, they wont last long, they're off to the slaughter house. and i looked right in their eyes and felt i knew that they knew. then my neighbour started laughing and joking about what would happe to them, and i felt this horrible well of anger building up and as if i was defending my own family or something, i smacked her right in the face!

hahaha. how do ya feel! course i had no empthay for her.

and also, we had cats, and whenever they came in with an animal, i would freeze in the corridor and scream and scream and then break down in tears. i couldnt stand the death. i felt so bad for that animal that it was alive and then suddenly dead, and not even for food, but just for play. horrible.

and also there was this heron that used to come and eat the fish in the pond and if i saw it doing it i would scream and cry and lose it, because i felt so sorry for the fish.

:(

i have, like lost soul, always been extremely connected to nature. i was brought up in the lake district and my dad knew all the fells like the back of his hand so i think i get the love of nature from him. put me in the middle of a wood and i am fine, put me in the middle of shopping centre and i freak out. but yeah, back to your post, lol. sometimes my mam swears i am psychic....this is not true, i have just gotten really good at reading people, you know, its a survival thing for me. i tend to wing things a lot, i improvise. it is a crucial thing for me to be able to do.

peace

beat xxx

lostsoul....I soo understand that.....

I think it was 6, 8 years ago....maybe longer.....I was sitting on the back deck, watching the birds nest in the neighbor's tree.....my daddy was sitting with me too I think......anyways....there were three little baby birds in it.....all of a sudden, this bluejay attacked and rocked the nest, the one baby fell out.....about 20, 30 or more feet to the ground.......I totally freaked.....I stood up and started crying histerically and screaming at the bluejay......

I still curse at bluejays when I see them.....and yeah, the baby bird that fell died......my daddy tried to explain it.....but I didn't want to hear it......

I read what animals feel even faster than I catch humans.....and I can't describe what I felt seeing that baby fall.....

actually my mom WAS psychic when she was growing up.....I believe I picked up the gift for a time in my younger years......but it faded away a long time back.....

but I agree, I think it's a survival tactic when with people......because I tend to get yelled at a lot.....to know when someone's angry or sad would be very useful....

*cassandra*

I think a lot of people become so used to their own emotions, it becomes like a second nature so see/feel them in other people I suppose it's kind of a gift.

If I see someone (particulary if I care about them) upset or crying, it makes me upset too, but that could be down to feelings of helplessness, in the sense of not being able to help the person or whatever.

Yeah like losty said, extreme empathy I suppose.

xx

Archived