Mental Health Forums

Book Group

Ruth24

I can see a lot of you like reading. What if we started a wee book group? The books don't all have to be BPD related or to do with mental health. We can take it in turns to pick a book to discuss, all read it and after a few chapters have a discussion about it. Like a real book group!! the only difference being not face to face.

Only need about 4 members or more. If interested just add your name to this topic. If not, well, it was a nice idea :) Guess I'll have to enter the real world and join one (ooooh scary fish)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG that would be so much fun!!1 im having a lot of trouble reading at the moment because of my concentration but this would give me more motivation to read too and i loooooove reading. What a fantastic idea hun well done i think we should do it!!! xxxx

I would be interested, i love books. I only see light prob just now, the book we read, means i have to buy,but on the other hand, i guess it it wont cost much.

I also have certain tasts in books, but it is broad amount. So would be interesting to see what kind of books we would like to read.

good idea ruth, your a champ :)

Hey ruthie babe!

u need to come back to this hehe, some of us is up for it.

Could i give a couple of suggestions?

One need to find a book, other is, as some like me has concentration probs, how about if say certain amount of chapters per week, and give follow up like you said? and we all could say if it will be 1 book per month or longer , so gives time.

Anythoughts ruth? or anyone?

also maybe we could ask if we could use the book descussion forum in each book we read? or tag it somewhere, i dont think josh would give a forum to this, but just looking at ways where u could find a place to organise where it could be. just a thought, open to anything as this is ruths idea :)

also was thinking, i know that this site is about mental health, what do peeps think, like ruth said, it doesnt have to be a book on this, but we could rotate from all catorgries of books, to look into?

sry i am prob ahead of the game here, just wanted to help ruth and get reading,i love books. I joined a book place where u can leave a book somwhere for somone to pick up or even we send books to each other.

Soooo Ruthie babe, i think u got some really good peeps here and is interested. :)

xxxx

I would like the idea of this.

I think Ruth should force herself to join a book group which is her scary fish then we can hijack their reading list so less thought on our part, then Ruth gets forced onto the real world and we get to think less.

I am so lazy it is unbelievable. I have always wanted to join a book club.

Ginger

I too have really bad concentration problems so i think what barebones suggested is a great idea about ready a few chapters a week. Really love this idea wanna get started!!!

Can we have books that are not to difficult to follow with really big words etc

Fantastic!!!

Like your thinking there ginger :) Bloody good idea!

This is gonna take some organisation but once started it should be easy. We have to choose a book? Anybody got any ideas? Anybody got a book on their shelf they have not read yet or a book they are just about to start? We could then take it in turns to choose the next book.

Bones, i was also wondering where it could be discussed, if we could simply open a topic in 'genaral' and call it book group. Add our thoughts about the book after each chapter and the topic could remain an open topic?

All ideas are welcome guys. feel free to suggest a book and we can all decide upon it. You don't need to buy the book, you can go to the library, borrow a copy, steal one :)

Soph pointed out today that ebay is good for books.

Thinking caps on guys...a good starter book would be something not too heavy or too long because i know a lot of us suffer from concentration problems. We can build up to War and Peace :) An interesting easy to read (but please not trashy) book...hmmmmm, gotta think...

We should choose something and explain why we chose it. I think poetry and prose can also be picked. I would like to read Three Men in a Boat Jerome K. Jerome : One of the funniest English books ever written. anyway. thats at least one up for nomination or to start with.

Saffron

erm...talk about pressure bones!!! :)

I have a book on my shelf i have been dying to read for ages called How to Lose Friends and Alienate People by Toby Young. A good friend gave it to me, it is apparantly very funny.

Thats another book into the pot...anybody else?

Archived