Mental Health Forums

Lithium

piuma

Ok, so i had my first tablet last night.

i took it about 12 ish along with my seroquel,

knocked me out about 4am which for me recently is good. although i still feel very tired and very very thirsty,

im wondering how it will help me. who knows. i am scared about everything at the moment. i really hope the lithium will make things more stable.....

pdoc seems to think that it wil help me alot. control my moods etc. so we'll see.

i am terrified about weight gain. i have done so well recently lost a stone or so and im in cotrol of my binge eating, and i really dont wanna lose control....

Hey Piuma, I'm here to talk. As I've said before the lithium saved my life. I put on a bit but nothing massive like the anti-psychotics do. It is not really known why the lithium works only that it does and through extensive testing and trials it has been proven. I am pretty drug resistant and was my last chance before the ECT so saved my neck. You do get thirsty and I think most of the weight gain is prolly fluid retention. Just bear with it hun and if you are getting some sleep off the back of it - can't be all bad. Lots of love Roses xxxxx

Ok, so i had my first tablet last night.

i took it about 12 ish along with my seroquel,

knocked me out about 4am which for me recently is good. although i still feel very tired and very very thirsty,

im wondering how it will help me. who knows. i am scared about everything at the moment. i really hope the lithium will make things more stable.....

pdoc seems to think that it wil help me alot. control my moods etc. so we'll see.

i am terrified about weight gain. i have done so well recently lost a stone or so and im in cotrol of my binge eating, and i really dont wanna lose control....

I know what you mean huni im on risperidone which i picked because its the least likely for weight gain, altho i have to put up with bed wetting instead its worth it!! I hope you do get on well with these tablets huni. you know where i am xx

good luck with it. i am on lithium and it does make you thirsty, so much i make myself ill gulping down water so just try to sip regularly and have more water than any other drink. it did make me feel knocked out for a while but then it was ok even when they increased the dose. the weight gain isnt the worst ive had from meds so hopefully you wont find it too bad and like Roses said it could be fluid retention if at all. long as you getting the checks for your system it should be ok. only side effects ive had are memory loss and shakes and apparently not many people get those.

xxx

not that i know of but that just means i dont get them not that it doesnt do it, i shall look it up

xxx

the little info ive found says it can cause it but i would speak to your doc about it just to be sure

thank you my sweet, just thinnking it could be ther seroquel, that gives you astuffy nose and maybe it made me sinus's blocked or something, hmmm, dunno wouldnt really cause a nose blled tho? but, it is hot here, maybe its just the heat. :) ty xx

long as its not too heavy i wouldnt worry but if unsure just call nhs direct or something just to put your mind at rest. in honesty ive never had a nosebleed so have no idea how to deal with them. hope you ok

xxx

Stress can cause nosebleeds too hun. Perhaps once things are more settled they will stop. As Rael said if it they are not heavy nosebleeds I wouldn't worry too much but if they continue go ask your GP to be on the safe side. I get memory loss from the lithium too - who are you again Rael??? Hee hee xxxxx

my memory sucks right now and only been on it for two days poo if it makes it worse im screwed lol.

um question roses.

what about lithium and purging?

and also lithium and drugs?

If you purge after taking it then it may not be in your system fully hun.

Um lithium and drugs I'm not sure of, my book is all about doctor's drugs not street drugs but I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to mix the 2.

If you let me know what you are taking from doc or using I can look it up for you gladly hun. xxxxxxxxxx

thanks hun im takin priadel 400 to star with, i take it bout 11pm i only puge in th day, if at all anymore, was just thinking bout the electrolyete imblkances ect but also on 100mg seroquel and 40mg citalopram

ty hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am on seroquel - lithium and priadel - quetiapine (trying to come off), and with the citalopram should not be a problem with the combo so don't worry. If you are not doing street drugs should be fine.

The lithium makes you thirsty, as you know, so the only problem with purging then (if you don't purge around the time you take it), is that you could get dehydrated and therefore, as you quite rightly say, the electrolytes could be unbalanced. But you would have to be severely dehydrated for it to be a problem hun as long as you drink LOADS you should be fine. I have purged a lot whilst on lithium and I never had a problem. Do you purge around the time you take any other of the meds? They might not be in your system fully if you do and could be worsening the depressive symptoms.

I've just looked up the three drugs and they all can cause you to have a dry mouth so perhaps sucking sweets could help as well as lots of fluids. Sugar free of course! I guess you just need to look out for symptoms such as excessive sweating, tremours, dizziness and the such and if you are worried I'm sure your GP would run some bloods for you and check it out to make sure it's all OK.

I hope this helps hun. If you need any help with breaking the purge cycle then I am here xxxxx

thanks hun. well i had managed to control binging for a few weeks now, but now im just purgin normal food, and although i drink about 6 cans of diet coke, a day i dont drink nothing else, so if im purgin, i dont replace it, so at the mo i feel intensly thirsty, but, i am usin a bit of wizz lol, so i dont know if that will affect the lithium. not wise to do i guess, but i need a pick me up im sick of being so friggin down

Yeah whizz is prolly not good when on lithium hun. I used to used whizz heavily as a teen and always got no sleep for prolonged time and would forget to eat and drink. I always felt dehydrated on whizz so mixed with lithium could do yourself some harm hun. Also only drinking coke is not gonna be such a great idea. I luuuurve pepsi max (as you know) but I always have one of pepsi then one of fruitjuice/squash. Perhaps try and do something like that?

It's great you got a handle on the bingeing. Why do you feel the need to purge when you are no longer bingeing? I am only asking as I'm hoping to help. I have been there too. It's hard I know. Do you find that talking about it helps? xxxxx

i guess to try and bring the weight dow, i am very very overweight so, i got a lot to lose. but thanks for the advice hun, i'll be ok i think, will just take it easy. xx

• 2 weeks later...

hey, well i have had me bloods back and upped my lithium, so dont know how it will affect me if at all? i know when my seroquel was upped last week or when eva it has made me more sleepy, and helps me sleep, which is good. so wonder what the increase of lithium will do? hopefully not increase my dehydration, its a night mare, im sooo thirsty all the time. lol

hey, well i have had me bloods back and upped my lithium, so dont know how it will affect me if at all? i know when my seroquel was upped last week or when eva it has made me more sleepy, and helps me sleep, which is good. so wonder what the increase of lithium will do? hopefully not increase my dehydration, its a night mare, im sooo thirsty all the time. lol

Hi,

I know I'm new, but I just wanted to say I have probs with dehydration too and don't drink enough water, too much coke!

I think you want to be careful with lithium, diet coke and whizz together - thats likely to make you very dehydrated and increase your chances of lithium toxicity. Could be dangerous.

Drink more water!! (I am a hypocrite!)

take care xx

Archived