Mental Health Forums

Sertraline

placebo69a

After about 6 weeks of being drug-free my depression has again reached the point of considering medical relief. I've taken all kinds of meds in different combinations in the past but I've not covered all the options yet. My pdoc thinks I should give another pill a shot and that I've got nothing to lose considering how much I'm suffering. I suppose she's right about that much of it.

She's prescribed me Sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral) at 50mg once daily. Anyone feel like sharing their personal experience with the drug? Did you take it in the mornings, evenings? What were the prominent side-effects for you, and how long did it take before any positive effects presented if at all? Has this been a breakthrough drug for anyone?

Hiya *squeezes you* xxx

I've been on sertraline and I had no side effects that I remember. I was on it quite a while before it stopped working so it must be a good one. Stick with it hun, SSRI's generally have less side-effects apparently. xxxxx

i'm starting exactly the same thing this week.

(there's a post 'zoloft' in the meds section if you want to look at people's response to my query.

was o sertraline a few years ago diddnt work for me personaly. but there didnt seem to be any side effects unlike citalopram which made me ill and still didnt work.

hey placebo,

I took sertraline before, major side effects for me.I stopped taking this as i started to feel worse. Because not only was i now depressed i also had debilating side effects. Not feeling well in general, and being heavily sadated. I could not stay awake and found caring for my child really difficult.

Hi I am currently on Sertraline. It is better for my depression than what I was on before, but some of the side effects are a bit harsh, so my doc has just lowered my dose.

I've been on sertraline for about 12 months now (this is my second course after being on it for 18 months 2 years ago - before that I was on Prozac for a few months but had side effects).

There are some side effects, for me these are forgetfulness/mild confusion and tiredness (although this is intermittent and as its part of my depression anyway I'm not 100% sure its the drugs).

I started out on 50mg, went up to 100, then 150 and then back down to 100mg (which am on at the moment) as the side effects got worse with the higher dosage - I hope to eventually go back to a minimum 50 mg dose.

I've not had much experience of other drugs as sertraline worked for me, but certainly a 50mg dose allowed me to do all the same stuff that I did before :)

Hey Darlin'

You know who this is.

Like you, I think I must have tried about 10 antidepressants. And do know, that they can "wear out" or your body can get accostomed to the drug. I know, that sucks huge to have a med change. Been there several times.

I would have to say that before you get on Doze-Off (jk), my husband and I do make fun of these drug names, ASK your doctor what the side effects could be IF you wanted to come off or down. If he says nothing, he is lying. There is an enormous forum about withdrawing from Zoloft, it is scary, but you should know it is tough stepping down off this drug.

NOT TO WORRY. I found it to be a wonderful drug, out proving all others, when my mother died. It's chief side effect is a decrease in libido, and that is well documented. So, if you don't mind not blankety blank blank, it's a great drug.

Squeak

i briefly took lustral 8 years ago, but it made me so sick i had to stop as throwing up all the time was making my depressive feeling worse. i hope you have a better time on them xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Sertraline wasn't very helpful for me - some nasty side effects. My doctor reccommended taking it in the morning, never asked why.. Hope it's working well for you though?

I take Sertraline at night because it makes me a bit drowsy though while I was in the psych hospital the nurses gave it to me in the morning and the lithium at night. When I first started it at 50mg a day I was really suicidal for a week but it passed. When I was admitted to the hospital they doubled my dose up to 100mg a day and that's what I've been on since. The biggest side effects I noticed was emotional zombification (which always seems to happen to me on anti-depressants, makes it hard to paint with no inspiration) and compulsive eating. The eating only lasted for about a month after my dosage increase and now I'm back to normal eating.

Ive been on this primarily for OCD, started at 50mg found it only worked for me at 200mg, side-affects poor memory made worse and loss of libido....... other than that i found it brilliant OCD thoughts decreased, mood lifted, less anxious.

xXx

• 3 weeks later...

I find sertraline one of the better SSRI's.

Initially it gave me heartburn.... I found it better to drink a pint of water when taking it & this stopped it being severe.... But that only lasted a couple of weeks.

Other than that - it does what it's supposed to do & lifts your mood, but it does take a while to take affect so just be patient with it.(ha, listen to me....... I'm a 'want it to work now type of person)! And I think it does decrease your sex drive a little but not so much that it's a problem.

Hope it works for you!

• 3 weeks later...

I had to stop taking this again coz it prevents me from climaxing. TMF I know but though i should put it out there....tbh honest i think the effect are different to the individual as u can prob gather by reading this thread.

XxX

Archived