Mental Health Forums

Talking Aloud Or To Oneself

Jinxsta

......Ok i do it allllll the time (so my GF tells me) im convinced it's normal but my GF thinks otherwise. From what I know there are different types that i do;

1) Giving a running commentry of what im doing "ok, just going to put the teabag in the cup...and now the sugar....where is the sugar?.....i don't know.....urm we dont have any"

2)Thoughts out loud "I don't think i can take this much longer... im gonna fucking scream any minute now...."

3) Random "I don't want to do that"...then i realise what i have said and think in my head "dont wanna do what?" then out loud "watch that film, i dont wanna" then in my head "but im not watching a film" and so on.

4) Talking to objects, say my hat keeps tickling my ear... "stop fucking touching me u mug"

Are any of these abnormal?

XxX

Well if you are abnormal, so am I. I often talk to myself. It tends to be mornings, or when I am in the bathroom, not sure why.

Often its upsettting stuff ("I want to die" or "I hate myself... I hate myself"). Sometimes its fantasies ("I am a millionnaire") or song lyrics ("You shut your mouth how can you say. I go about things the wrong way. I am Human and I need to be loved. Just like everybody else does.").

i do the running commentry thing too... a lot... also talking to objects...

but i also do the following

Playing back conversations both the way they went and the way they should have gone

Rehearsing conversations

I also just have conversations between me and others - just to play around and see what i think other people will answer bout certain situations - not same as rehearsing - cos these are conversations I will never have.

I do this all aloud... mostly on my own, but sometimes i mouth the words when people are around and when they catch me and look at me, I have to pretend that I was singing to myself...

It also worried me for a bit - but then I got to thinking that this stuff really aint doing me any harm and I guess is just the way I cope with some things, so I just get on with it now...

O and I wouldnt know what "normal" is, so I cant really compare...

i do the same kinds of thing, especially the commentary and the random, i get some funny looks from my bf for those but i think he is more or less used to them now and makes a joke out of it. i dont think its a bad thing to do necessarily, it doesnt hurt you or anyone else and a lot of the time i do it when feeling alone so it helps me feel like i have some company. sometimes i just pretend to talk to the cat so it doesnt feel like im talking to myself and i get funny looks from her instead.

xxx

I do t all the time, especially to inanimate objects. constantly shout at my computer, tell the kettle to boil faster, ask myself where the hell did i put the coffee, question myself, should i do this first or that.

The kids think i'm talking to them, but its just me thinking out loud.

Nice to see you back

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I reckon it's when ya don't know ya talking to yaself, that's the time to be worried! lol

I talk to myself. I didn't utter a word for a week once i dont see anyone n didnt talk to meself, and when I finally spoke I had lost my voice, all croaky. So tell ya GP ya keepin ya vocal chords active lol

I make sarcastic come-backs to commercials on the radio or tv. I also have been known to do the narration thing.....I think it's pretty common. Most people do some version of it.

I talk to myself all the time, I am doin it right now as I write back on here :D... I will have fights with myself, if I am talkin to someone I will ignore them and talk back to myself at times, I talk to the TV, When I was younger I would think my teddy bears was talkin to me and would have a convo with them ect ect ect you get the pic haha... So I wouldn't say its abnormal at all... Its a past of you :D...

Sometimes when I am in a rush or getting ready I kind of go into 'mother-child' mode with myself, eg 'come on, you're going to be late, where's your purse...'

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I know the voices are both me so it's not like it's anything I can't control. It's just a way of trying to organise myself when I'm in a rush!

agree with toaster if you know it's yourself you're talking to, and not the little green men or whatever, then you should be ok!

They all sound pretty normal to me! Some people do a running commentary constantly, and the majority of people do it at least once on a day-to-day basis without even realising. As for speaking to inanimate objects aha ... I sometimes even get slightly frustrated with them!

Catspiracy - I do too haha, constantly making sarcastic comments about adverts. Adverts suck!

I do this all the time. What happens with me is that I have these epic fantasies and delusions from when my depression started as a kid, and I sometimes do a running commentary on them. I also do running commentaries on life issues or on situations I have be in during the day, as my head get packed full of aimless and random thoughts. Sometimes, I even answer back to TV commercials or programs, as if these pieces of fiction have genuinely riled me in some way.

It happens in various psychiatric or developmental conditions and, for that person, it is part and parcel of their life. Of course it isn't normal to the wider world, but, as you can't fit a square peg into a round hole, it doesn't have to be a problem if no harm or offence is caused.

ima doin a lot of internal dialoguin today, mostly cos i have to put on this air of outward "ok-ness" cos i am at work, when inside i am hurting...

true self inside / false mask outside kinda thing...

i do this most of the time anyway, but a heck of a lot more when i get myself in a pickle... (my word for a right downer)...

but i dont ever see it as a bad thing, i do what i do to get by and that's ok...

• 2 weeks later...

hi jinx.. yep i talk out load all the time .. i live alone so the silence is load and my thoughts are louder.. i also have to talk to my alters and it does my head in cos theey,re always so busy in my head.

i do find i talk aloud outside a lot tooand thas really embarrassing.. ive always done it the talking aloud. hugs, faerie x

• 2 weeks later...

Thank u all, some very chucklesome comments.... suppose we all just mad then, call in the men in white coats.

XxX

i do the running commentry thing too... a lot... also talking to objects...

but i also do the following

Playing back conversations both the way they went and the way they should have gone

Rehearsing conversations

I also just have conversations between me and others - just to play around and see what i think other people will answer bout certain situations - not same as rehearsing - cos these are conversations I will never have.

I do this all aloud... mostly on my own, but sometimes i mouth the words when people are around and when they catch me and look at me, I have to pretend that I was singing to myself...

It also worried me for a bit - but then I got to thinking that this stuff really aint doing me any harm and I guess is just the way I cope with some things, so I just get on with it now...

O and I wouldnt know what "normal" is, so I cant really compare...

I do that stuff too! :)

Archived