Mental Health Forums

Bloody Bloody Bloody Meds - Very Confused!

flora

Hi,

This is going to be very boring for everyone but this is my medication history. I don't know what to do next!

I've been on a few different antidepressants, all tricyclics. I was once on venlafaxine (effexor) but it didn't do much for me. My old psych said an ssri would be dangerous for me because of the possibility of making me suicidal or impulsive.

However, my new psych thinks an ssri would reduce impulsivity, the exact opposite to what my old psych thought. He doesn't want to change my meds tho, as i'm doing ok. but I wonder if life would be less of a struggle on an ssri? Maybe i would be more rational?

But I'm scared of stopping dothiepin, which i'm currently taking, because it works for my depression which has been very severe.

I'm also on quetiapine and was previosuly on olanzapine - but now i've read in a psychiatry textbook that the atypical antipsychotics are bad for bpd.

I used to be on lithium, stopped it - right decision?

I recently stopped lorazepam and zopiclone, think that was the right choice. But I'm popping those "Kalms" things from boots like sweets - is that dangerous with the rest of the meds?

It's the antidepressant issue that I'm most confused about - any ideas? Anyone been helped by an ssri?

Love flora xox

Hey Flora,

ssri's are like all meds, some help more than others.

For example I know I can take effexor for just a few days and be at the craziest ive ever been but yet cipralex keeps the depression at bay very well with no side effects.

I am afraid its all a try and see game. Stick out the milder side effects and keep a close watch on how you are feeling is all you can do.

One ssri may make you worse but yet the next may be the med you have been looking for all the time.

But on a unofficial level ive yet to hear any bad reactions from others on the impulse side to cipralex which is why I was prescibed it after bad reactions to prozac etc and even worse ones to effexor so maybe you could mention that one to your mental health team?

Take care and good luck

xxx

extinct is right, some meds you will get on with, others not. cipralex did absolutely no good for me, i hated it, the side effects and everything were terrible. it made me worse, but now i am on prozac and that seems to be doing some good. i love zopiclone - can't sleep a wink without it. meds are trial and error unfortunately.

look after yourself,

peace

beat xxx

Archived