Mental Health Forums

Citalopram And Diazepam

silent187

could i get your experiences opinions on these meds coz i started them on monday, only got a weeks worth of diazepam tho, and dont really kno wat they're about. doc sez they reduce anxiety which should reduce my stress which could get rid of voices completely...bit optimistic i rkn.

Hi silent, i can only give you some advice on what maybe yo should try and do. One i would go back to your doctor, is it a GP? if it is, diazepam is not the drug for this, and i would get refered to someone who know about medication for your probs, the other med i dont know yet, but someone on here may know a bit more.

you havent gave much info for me to really know if you do have a support network like a psyciatrist and so on. Diazepam is not a good choice, as it is addictive, i get it only to help with alcohol withdrawel and medical hospital use it for muscle relaxation and to help alittle with anxiety, but the long term use of this drug is more a hinder than anything. For your anxiety and hearing voices there is far better drugs for this.

ok i just read up a little about your other drug, its a anti depressant, here is a link http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Citalopram.htm again this drug is for anxiety not hearing voices.

Go back to GP or seek second opinion.

I will also say, maybe it all could help you, but i am only offering on what i know and i am not a doctor or anything.

good luck hun

citalopram made me worse, and the diazepam only worked for one night and then failed to have any effect unless i doubled up and mixed them with alcohol (not smart i know!). its common to only prescribe diazepam for a week as they are addictive, however i was prescribed them to help me sleep rather than for anxiety. my anxiety was covered by being given beta-blockers so maybe you could ask your doc whats what?

everyone reacts differently to meds tho, so i hope you start to feel a bit better on these *hugs*

hey thanks for ur replies, the citolpram is to reduce anxiety, ive come off antipsychotics as the psychosis is now more manageable than the side effects of the medication. i think the diazepam is jus to get me to sleep because i have to take the other one at nite for the time bein (coz of ramadam) and apparently its a bit of a stimulant so would need help sleeping. thanks again

chips, feel free to reply to any of my posts yea

Hi, everyone is diferent but I was on citalopram for three months or so and it had little effect, I took diazepam for insomnia and it made me go to sleep but didn't keep me asleep although was helpful to take a half if I woke up at three am and couldn't get back to sleep

hey i have been on noth although im not prescribed diazepam any more, due to becomming tolerant and wanting it lol, so doc refused. i do still take it tho, i get it from a mate. um. the citalopram i have been on consistantly now for about nearly four months and it seems to have decreased my suicidal thoughts. my anxiety has dropped but then i resigned so my levels of stress have been reduced anyway. i only take vals when i wanna sleep, which at the moment i dont so, not having them regularly.

soz doesnt really help much.

xxxxxxxxxx

could i get your experiences opinions on these meds coz i started them on monday, only got a weeks worth of diazepam tho, and dont really kno wat they're about. doc sez they reduce anxiety which should reduce my stress which could get rid of voices completely...bit optimistic i rkn.

Diazepam is only good for a short while, so its good you only have it for a week.

I'm a diazepam addict and dealing with the rebound anxiety, its murder.

My psych has just put me on a dose to stabilise so I can begin my taper.

Its a real nightmare.

I took them intermittently, so as not to get addicted, not knowing about the long half life. When I stopped for a month, withdrawals kicked in, and they have been with me ever since.

The odd week here and there is ok, say once or twice a year, but that is the limit of diazepams use, before it turns nasty, real nasty.

As for citalopram, I dont know about that.

Hiya,

I am currently on Citalopram 20mg..

I was given these by my psych for anxiety and severe depression and have been on them going on for nearly 2 or more months. It has little effect on me but haven't sh'ed for going nearly 4 weeks now, whether thats to do with the meds though I'm not quite sure. I do get distrubed sleep so wake up in a morning feeling tired and not refreshed at all.

but at the end of the day we are all different and meds react in different ways... so worth a try..

Harmony x

Citalopram had absolutely no effect on me, good or bad, but everyone reacts differently.. I've been given Diazepam at A&E to calm me down a few times and have found that is one of the few things that work for me and help me sleep so I can understand why it's not prescribed long-term. I hope they help you :)

Archived