Mental Health Forums

Any Advice.....

DressageGal

First of all, I just want to say thank you again to everyone that has helped me especially after last months 'disaster with my friends' and that I am not doing too bad now.

I have found myself not being able to purge anymore (which I know deep down is a good thing) but it does still get to me at timmes. So I was thinking, to compensate for that what if I skipped breakfast and lunch but then becuase I live at home with the parents, they make me dinner, I could just eat once a day and then after I have eaten, I could go for a run round the block or even just run on the spot for abit and then maybe that would help and be better for me (in a way) than making myself throw up.

Now I know you all probably think I am stupid or something, but I just wanted to get that off my chest and all replies are welcome.

Thank you !!!

Hi Gal, your not stupid, but i hear the ED talking there, i couldn't possibly advise u skipping meals as that itself will bring a diffrent level of your ED.

Could i ask hun, have you been to see a eating disorder doctor or even just your GP and explain about your problems? There is a number of ED groups out there to help people, i used to go to one before i got appointment with ED clinic.

The only advice i would offer other than that above is, how about just trying to stick at eating healthy? salads, low fat foods and other things, and then yes i would say, yeah take up some excercise. Gal are u overweight, sry i am not familiar with your old posts and that, but i guess i could take a look and see.

Keep talking, somone else may give some other advice.

xx

Thank you for replying.

I used to see a counsellor but gradually my sessions stopped because I was getting better and I have been doing really well lately (to say that all this started a good few years ago now). It's just recently that some of my relatives have passed away and I have been having relapses and it just brings back old thoughts. (and I have never had very good self-esteem anyway).

And actually, I am not overweight, in fact I am slightly underweight and I just can't seem to be able to put weight on very easily which doesn't help.

I am very similar. I am underweight and find putting weight on difficult.

I already do what you are suggesting and it is BAD! because i only eat one meal a day, even if the meal is small i feel fat and bloated. I think this would only make you feel worse. I am trying to eat little bits and bobs throughout the day so i don't get that horrible bloated feeling in the evenings.

Have you considered going back to your GP or councillor? if you are already underweight you could be entering dangerous territory

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know your all right and maybe I should make an appointment just with my doctor for the time being anyway. I just don't want to feel like I am taking steps backwards going through it all again with counsellors and stuff. And I don't want to be patronized becuase I don't have a problem or anything, I guess I just need someone to listen to me talk like I do on here and for someone just to help me overcome my past relapses.

And as for the skipping meals thing, I am just going to have to try, like you say, eat little portions of healthy stuff in small doses to get me back into a normal eating habit. (but when I am at work, I sometimes don't even think about food and can go all day and not feel sick or hungry and then if I excercise when I get home, somehow it takes the edge of my appetite and so then I don't feel an urge to raid cupboards).

Hi Gal, u said you have had help with this, i would hope if u go back to ur GP about this is he won't patronise or anything and listen to ur concerns. There is nothing wrong in going back to therapy, as we all know with EDs is we can go years ok, but somethings do spark us off again. You need to find out why u have taken a step back and manage is before as u know could lead in old behavour, not saying that u haven't come a far way, but i know myself that when u start this road again is ur best way forward is getting back intouch and try sort out what is going on.

Would be great as been suggested is take small healthy amounts if ur able to, also i know about work and not feeling hungry, but if your excercising and havent eaten is that your going to waste your muscle first, then it will be fat, actually its water first then muscle and then fat.

Can i ask why u don't purge anymore? is it not ur body saying that enough is enough, i found that when i was bulimic, but then last year i was diagnosed EDNOS. Go and see somone who u trust and see about trying to work through what is causing this or what is upsetting u deep down.

Sry if i am no help, i know how hard it is having a ED and we thought we had is sorted.

xx

keep talking hun

I went to see my GP the other day and told him everything. He said its totally normal for relapses to happen, especially with the reasons for me having them. He also suggested I go back to my counsellor just for a few like 'refresher' sessions or if I wanted to, he even said I could start with a totally new counsellor, but I dunno if that would be wierd talking to someone new, starting from the beginning.

And I am trying to stop skipping my meals aswell becuase I know that its not a good idea in the long run.

Archived