Mental Health Forums

Effexor- Dangerous?! Wtf?

gothicangel

Was just browsing facebook and came across this

http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=srp&sfxp=&q=effexor#/wall.php?id=8098688970

I am literally going out of my mind. I've been on it for nearly a year and now I'm terrified. Is my medication partly to blame for my steady decline? I'm so scared. Why don't doctors ever warn you about things like this??

Hi gothicangel

I cant log into that, becuz I am the only person on earth who doesnt have a facebook account :unsure: but I can say that, I have taken effexor in the past for over a year, and on and off since then, and havent noticed any long term effects. For me it is not a cure by any means - only helped whilst I was on it, then went back to old me afterwards, but it didnt make me any worse ...

Any chance you could cut and paste the scary bits in this thread? Would be interested to see what it says ....

Drugs rrr bad, mm'kay?

Ross

To add

Was on higher than what is now recommended highest (225mg XR extended release capsule, not the tablet version) dosage - was about 300mg I think. They changed the max dose to a lower one, so I was on even more than that I an I am still fine.

Wibble hedgehog pants on my head no problems for meeee oo shiny thing **runs off**

Hi there Gothic. There are horror stories about nearly every drug on the market though hun. I was on venlafaxine for a bit but it didn't suit me so I switched. People tell terrible stories of lithium but I was fine. People tell horror stories of quetiapine but apart from being a zombie (which I couldn't deal with) I was OK. I have tried to wean off this drug but it is virtually impossible and I went into DT's from stopping 200mg cold turkey. I am still on a low dose of that.

So the best person to talk to is a doctor and not facebook babe. See how it suits you personally, if you notice any side-effects or feel you want to change your med talk to your doc about it. I'm sure they will consider changing it if you tell them you feel unsafe on it. xxxxx

http://stevewhiting.co.uk/effexorfx.aspx

This is one guy's story. I'm still ploughing throught it but what I've read so far is pretty worrying. I know I shouldn't panic but it seriously concerns me that there is a petition to get it banned with 21000 signatures on it. I hate doctors I am sick of being a human guinea pig for these overpaid, ignorant morons.

Ah

Right, yes. Effexor has the worst withdrawal I have ever had. However, if you can come off it super slow (and i know a good way to do that, but its unofficial) then you will be fine. Or if you can just take the pain, it does go eventually. You could say its a form of dependence, but if you can find a way through withdrawal, you can get off it. Will tell you how to do it if you are very nice :D

Ross

Actually I will just type it, as I have nothing better to do :)

First time I came off, I went cold turkey. I got "elctric shock" sensations in my brain, headache, muscle twitches, extreme irritability, blurred vision, and "strobing" - it seemed like I was only getting "frames" of reality, with breaks in between like when your telly goes funny.

Second time, I started breaking open the little capsule, and each day removing just a few 'beads'. This way, the taper off was far more gradual than if I was just dropping a dosage - which go in 75 mg chunks. By smoothing it out over a month or so (longer if the effects came back), I barely noiced anything. Did that 3 times, as have been on effexor 4 times. Not any more :)

Supplementing with phenylalanine, 5-HTP and gingko biloba seemed to help too.

Thank you for sharing. I think I may ask to start coming off it as I no longer feel safe. Might have to use your special method as I get horrible withdrawals even if I just miss one dose. The electric shocks, the strobing, the insomnia, palpitations, anxiety, muscle spasms, headaches etc etc etc. I hate the idea of being so dependent on a drug. Never had any withdrawal effects when I came off Prozac cold turkey. I wish these moronic doctors would do their research. Well done for getting off the stuff.

Don't want to scare anyone, but, I came off that cold turkey and became phychotic, and was hospitalised.

Anyone considering coming off should do it real slow.

Anna xxx

Hi gothic

Yeah that method worked for me 3 times. Your doc might tell you not to if you mention it, one of my docs said the exposure to air might change something, but it never affected me at all so I think he was being over cautious. Basically it only gets exposed to air for a few seconds. Like I said, its unofficial but was an absolute boon to me. At the end, I took the beads on their own, just a few and didnt bother with the capsule. No prollems for me ...

As for serotonin syndrome, I think I almost got it once but because of my own stupidity - I "combined" a Reboxetine tab (works on adrenaline) with Effexor (serotonin and adrenaline) and thought my head would explode. Bad idea. Never got it from effexor alone though, I rather liked the drug to be honest, apart from as you say, missing a dose and some of the usual sides. Never met anyone who had the trouble that guy did, but if you are uncomfy on it then mabbe look for something else :)

Ross

Hi, i looked at the face book page and what i saw it was about withdrawing from this med. I am on a med that has brain zaps if i miss just 2 days, but all medication has side effects and withdrawels and the symptoms come diffrent for everyone. I am on one of the newest Anti D which is ssri and like i said i get that, me i would go to your doctor and ask them the questions and what the stastitics are for this. Everyone is diffrent in how there metroblic system works and the half life of a drug is. Also i would say, you get a leaflet in explaining eveything about the drug your taking, did u not read it? every drug out there has pertential of having side effects, with taking, after taking. I wouldnt take what is on facebook as anything, u need to seek advice if u want to come off this drug by a person who knows drugs. The amount who signed that pertition is small from the overall amount it has been prescibed too, every person has diffrent response to a drug.

sry if i am sounding harsh, its late and what i saw on the facebook, is look at the medication and gerneric name and people who make it and there stastitics on what goes on with the drug. If there was a big thing happening about this, say like some drugs we know it would of been took off the shelves, like some have in the past.

sry again

xx

Of course I read the pamphlet. The problem I have is that a lot of the side effects that I and other people experience are not included in the pamphlet. It also says that it is not physically addictive, which is obviously utter rubbish. I will talk to my doctor but I always get the distinct feeling that he doesn't know what he is talking about, he was the one who told me it wasn't habit-forming.

Dont read crap anecdotal reports on social websites...not exactly scientific is it?

I understand you getting scared reading bad shit but really-have you read the side-effects for paracetemol or asprin? If you decide to take meds, and a lot of us do, you have to weigh the good and the bad. In my experience, MH meds are incredibly idiosyncratic, but rarely cause severe side-effects, esp the new ones. Unpleasant yes, but damaging, no.

Its a balance; you can allow yourself to get shit scared, or allow yourself to try. The other option is you avoid meds altogether and try alternative methods (a perferectly valid viewpoint). However I would have been dead, I dont belive some conditions can be alleviated via this route.

Your choice, but dont scare yourself silly with untested stories on Facebook

reb

Sorry, youre right. I just get cross sometimes (its probably my age) with people spooking themselves out. Often their fears are legitimate and current.

I took Effexor (if this helps) for 2 1/2 years; not because it was the best anti-d for me but because I had such an OD history it was judged the safest for me in OD (I was forced onto depots in the end).

It didnt help, and made me feel low-level unwell; I hadnt been diagnosed at the time (BPD) and really needed (with hindsight) anti-psychotics. I took myself off Effexor overnight, against advice, and felt incredibly unwell. In fact, more unwell than withdrawal from stronger meds.

But it didnt harm me, was relatively short-lived, and taught me a lesson. My point was I spent so long in hosp I met quite a few other people for whom Effexor was quite a miracle. MH meds are hit and miss, one story (or story thread) doesnt tell all.

Take care

reb

It helped me, I think I have to say! I was on 150mg and felt emotionally and physically 'flat' the entire time, but it also helped me stay calm enough to talk out and work through a lot of my issues, as well as let that rational side of my brain win the internal argument. Coming off it wasn't fun, but I got through it, and there are no lasting effects for me.

Thanks aylaah. I guess I have to admit that it's been pretty helpful to me too. I was in the middle of a crisis when I found that information last night and it made me panic. I guess for everyone that's had problems with it there's 100 more who've been helped by it. I'll talk to my pdoc and get her advice when I go to see her next month.

Archived