Mental Health Forums

Bungee Jump Vid

thesloaneranger

despite having a really crap day yesterday, today went bloody well - me and hubby even got on and he told me how proud he was :o:D

ive been looking forward to doing this jump for around 2 weeks, and its really kept me going thru some of the bad days. as per the "old me", i got dressed up as wonder woman, and raised nearly £300 for the meningitis research foundation in the process. it feels good to just give something back, have a bit of a silly time and let go of so much all in a oner :) as i jumped near the end of the day, there werent many peeps around other than my support and fellow jumpers, but the cossie deffo got a great reaction and really gave me a boost!

the vid is full length, so for those of you who just want to see the actual jump, fast forward to around 3.30 mins......and im sure roses will like the soundtrack at that point ;) lol!

th_bungeejump.jpg

lol thanks hun! :) it was 160ft, so a little lower than my last one at 176ft.....but the view is amazing! sadly when my daughter watched the vid, she was more interested in spotting ikea in the distance than the actual jump! grr..kids! lol!

OMG! That is crazy! I wanna do it! lol - weren't you scared? When I was a teenager I did a parachute jump thing (you're attatched by a rope and jump so not a real one) and it was much lower that your jump - it took me ages to jump and I kept backing out, getting unharnessed and standing away from edge letting others jump before I finally did it. Of course the round of applause I got when I finally did jump was fantastic but still I was terrified! And it was nowhere near as high as what you just did!

Well done though, that was fantastic! That guy in the cage with you was hot though! lol

lol sammy....he was very cute, very nice and called amos ;) just unfortunate that i was at eye level with the hook on his harness the whole way up pmsl!!! ;)

i wasnt scared, because i knew i had a bit of elastic attached to my ankles - its not so long since i was ready to go over without that bit of kit. the parachute thing sounds fun though, and im so glad you got over your fear and went for it...it really is the anticipation thats worse than the actual event! the applause from people you know as well as those you dont is always a great feeling and is a great boost :D have u got any pics from your jump?

Nah it wasn't a planned jump, it was back in the days when we had Northampton festival at the local park and so had no idea the jump would even be there - they had a zip wire going down from the same tower too, so you could choose which you wanted to do - and it was free! I miss the Northampton Festival, they intergrated it with annual balloon show now and it's so expensive - nothing is free anymore!

I do feel quite lucky in some aspects regarding my childhood, such as how my parents encouraged various activities such as rock climbing, canal trips, visiting mines, museums and places of historical interest. We never went on holiday without at least having some educational stuff pencilled into the itinerary. Wish I could afford to continue with that now, but I do try to squeeze in educational stuff when I can with my kids and make it enjoyable for them.

Never been able to afford the extreme stuff for them though like the rock climbing, abseiling or things like bungees. So wish I could because I'd love them to have that adventurous spirit like you have - you're wild! lol

WHOOOOO!!!! :D

I love it! Now you are a real person, with a face and arms and a head and stuff, rather than a virtual thing with an avatar and words :) Nice to meet you!

You were so brave, you just like went for it, all smiley too! What made me chuckle was that as I was watching it, the download stopped just after the lyric "hey, you're a crazy *****", as you plummeted :) Great video!

Ross

lol thanks meme and hmmm-mabbe .....i dont fancy base jumping, but theres a few things id still like to do - watch this space ;) lol! sorry the download cut out on you - photobucket can be a bit unstable at times :( i figured crazy biotch was an appropriate soundtrack! lmao!

sammy, i kinda had the same encouragement as yourself growing up, and find it hard to do the same with my daughter. financially though, if you want your kids to start doing some wild things, alot of charities are looking for peeps - raise the minimum sponsorship and it doesnt cost you a penny. i know uve got to be over 14 to bungee, but i think theres things like hydoballing where you can be younger. that festival you mentioned sounds like it was great fun...shame its not what it was now though, but i guess thats the way most things have gone in this country.

I smiled through the whole video

Well done Sloane, it looked like you were really enjoying it and you raised a fantastic amount of money too :) I'm really pleased for you

Pink x

This one isnt very long - its a quick clip of the skydive that broke two bones in my spine :( Ive got all 8 solo jumps on video somewhere, that happened on the last one ... back still hurts now (it was 2006).

Ross

wow ross!! :D nice to see your a real person with arms and legs too - good to meet ya! lol! my wee jump looks puny compared to that - looks fabulous fun though and is one of the things i fancy doing next! just a shame it went a little pete tong that time hun...broken bones are not fun :(

thanks pink....im glad i made you smile. a little bit of fun is always a good thing, esp if it makes someone else laugh at you :D

OMG Ross! I was a little scared to even open that video, but that does look damned scary? Were you terrified? I think I'd have passed out! Has it stopped you doing stuff today?

Wow Sloan that was soooo cooool!!

And I love the sound track ...... you go girl, you rock!!

Excellent that you raised so much money for a worthy cause.

An inspiration to us all.

Thanx for sharing.

Wow!!!!!!!! I am still smiling. Watched the whole thing with hubbie sat next to me and I burst out laughing when Crazy Bitch came on YEAH!!!!!!!! Hubbie said - did you get her into Buck Cherry ROFL. You are soo cool babe you are like ICE and you are seriously pretty! I love it! Love it! I'm soooooo proud of you xxxxxxxxxxxx

And Rossie-bunny - liked the clip, my little bro has now thrown himself out of a plane on repeated occasions, he says it's a rush xxx

wow ross!! :D nice to see your a real person with arms and legs too - good to meet ya! lol! my wee jump looks puny compared to that - looks fabulous fun though and is one of the things i fancy doing next! just a shame it went a little pete tong that time hun...broken bones are not fun :(

thanks pink....im glad i made you smile. a little bit of fun is always a good thing, esp if it makes someone else laugh at you :D

Lol yeah my leggie and arm parts were waggling all over :) If you wanna do it, its called an AFF course - accelerated freefall. If you complete the course, you have a licence to jump at any dropzone on your own, and then can go on to have your own chute, pack it yourself and all that jazz. Its made up of 7-8 training jumps, the 4th one of which is totally unassisted. The first 3 you have someone holding onto you, but unlinke a tandem, not strapped to you at any point. If you wanna get the bug to bite, there are lots of skydiving vidoes on youtube and a great website called skydivingmovies.com . Theres lots of dropzones where you can do AFF in the UK, though the season is coming to an end at the mo. Best to go abroad for the weather - if not the safety record. Southern U.S best combo of safety and weather really.

A bunjee jump would scare me more than that - theres something about different height ranges. When in a plane, the floor is just a patchowork quilt and so your brain doesnt react to it so much, its like looking at a magic eye picture. Ina bungee, you can see peoples faces and your car in the car park - 200ft puts the willies up me way more than jumping from 13,000 feet. Also did a "static line" jump years ago, where the chute gets opened automatically by a little cord. Thats from 3500 feet and even that feels too close for comfort.

The injury has put me off TBH - I was already scaredy of it. Im worried if I ever do it again, there is now a weakness and I could really damage myself even worse ...

Sammy - hell yeah I was scareded. I went through this odd counter=phobic phase, thought that if I did all the things that frightened me that my social anxiety would go away. Didnt work :( But by the last few jumps, I was really enjoying it I must admit. Just a shame it went T.U. In the last jump I had to do a forward roll out of the plane :)

Wow!!!!!!!! I am still smiling. Watched the whole thing with hubbie sat next to me and I burst out laughing when Crazy Bitch came on YEAH!!!!!!!! Hubbie said - did you get her into Buck Cherry ROFL. You are soo cool babe you are like ICE and you are seriously pretty! I love it! Love it! I'm soooooo proud of you xxxxxxxxxxxx

And Rossie-bunny - liked the clip, my little bro has now thrown himself out of a plane on repeated occasions, he says it's a rush xxx

He's right it is, but I bet he wasnt the unluckiest guy in the world like me .. the injury I got almost never happens to beginners. Still quite angry at the dropzone people, because it came down to their packing the parachute. They werent at all nice or helpful afterwards, they just wanted to ignore me, were almost hostile towards me - whilst laying there with crushed vertebrae. Assholes :(

Ross

What would happen if you did pass out on jumping out the plane? Is there any kind of back up plan if you don't pull the cord? Just wondering! lol the things I think about!

Hi sammy

You have something called an AAD - automatic activation device. It checks how high you are and if you are still going really fast at a certain height, it open your parachute. You also carry two cutes, a main and a reserve, and can "cut away" the main if it gets tangled or whatever.

I think first jump you are on a cord to plane and they can pull it if yu don't? Not sure though. Yeah Rossie bro got that certificate thingey so now can throw himself out of a plane whenver he fancies LOL

I am so sorry that you ended up so broken though hun. ((((((((((Ross)))))))))))

I think first jump you are on a cord to plane and they can pull it if yu don't? Not sure though. Yeah Rossie bro got that certificate thingey so now can throw himself out of a plane whenver he fancies LOL

I am so sorry that you ended up so broken though hun. ((((((((((Ross)))))))))))

Hi Roses

Depends what "system" you are jumping. In static line jumps (Called RAPS), you have a 30 foot long cord strapped to the plane, and as you jump out the cord pulls your chute open - like you see in war movies. You barely leave the plane and chute is open, but if that one gets tangled up you have a reserve one. This is a RAPS jump (though most dropzones let you jump from a door instead of the wing). Look for the little cord:

In AFF its like James Bond - you just have a backpack and a little "pud" that you grab near your bum. The pud flies out with a tiny parachute in it, which gets pulled by the air flow. Then that pulls on the parachute pack and the chute comes out. With all these types, once you have left the aircraft youre basically on your own, though with AFF for the training jumps someone is falling alongside you, though not attached to you. If you go into a flat spin or lose control, and they are skilled, they can cacth you and deploy your chute, if not the AAD will have to save your life. This is an AFF course:

Waffle waffle waffle sorry :)

Ross

LOL Ross, as I started to read and you said you have something called an AAD, I thought WHAT THE HELL? NOT ANOTHER FREAKING DISORDER! like I need anymore of those? then went on to read what AAD was and felt a bit better. lol

Yup I have Altitude Attention Deficit. When falling at 120 mph from 13,000 feet, I tend to get distracted easily by seagulls and shiny things :( Its very debilitating.

Ross

Archived