Mental Health Forums

A Perfect Example Of Incompetence

thesloaneranger

yesterday i got a phone call from my doctor. seeing their number pop up took me by surprise, but i thought maybe they were calling me with my hubbys test results or something as we have recently changed numbers and i know he hasnt updated his on their system yet. anyways.....

they were calling to speak to me to let me know that the "doing well" team had been in touch to let them know my med changes and to issue a prescription - this was now waiting for me at reception. thing is, this is the prescription i was supposed to have been given 8 weeks ago!!! 6 weeks ago i discharged myself from "doing well" and havent had any anti-depressants or sleepers since. in fact its been 7 weeks since i had any meds because my doc wouldnt prescribe anything until "doing well" had got back to them!

i took great delight in telling the receptionist what i thought of "doing-bugger-all", and asked for my prescription to be destroyed. i was doing alot better without the meds or professionals, and seeing as the docs didnt already know, i gave them the date i discharged myself as the other mob hadnt told them.

at the time i wasnt sure i was doing the right thing discharging myself, but now i know i did - escaping from the hands of people who were supposed to help, but did anything but, as the best move i could ever have made. what scares me though, is all the other people that are under the care of this mob.i really hope they are getting much better service and not being messed around like i was.

yes, some days are still bloody rough going, but im getting there. the only help i get is from my private counsellor who i see once a week and that gives me so much more strength than any pill or CBT workbook did. im sooooo happy i can see the difference in myself from just a few weeks ago, and the best feeling is that im getting there MYSELF :D woooohooo!

thanks pink and roses :D

its amazing how realising you did do the right thing can give you a boost! the rough days may be a bitch, but they are still better than the old days when i couldnt even get out of bed

Well done for telling them how it is! I can't believe the lack of communication between all the different agencies you have to deal with in mental health care. I was referred to the crisis team and when I spoke to them I wasn't in immediate crisis so they basically said we can't help you please come back when it's worse then we'll try and help! So now I'm waiting for a referral to the regular Mental Health Team whilst having to be referred back to the crisis team because everything is taking so long and I have been going into crisis! AARRRRGGGHHHH!!

Wish I had the guts to do what you did, and 'm so glad that you feel better for taking control of your own treatment. And I bet putting down the receptionist was the best feeling ever! I hate doctors receptionists! (Sorry if anyone here is one!)

xx

thanks rael and dryad *hug* :)

it really is a sad situation that the communication levels between all the agencies is so poor, however i think thats partly down to the sheer volume of people needing help. when i was originally told id be going on the doing well thing, i was not in a good way and was told it would take upto 2 weeks to get an appointment - this was in april and i didnt get an appointment until august! im not making excuses though, and feel that as theres such a high demand on these serices,more should be getting done to ensure peeps get the right care. ive a feeling if we all got the best care early doors, then alot wouldnt have had to go thru a crisis hell to just get seen.

anyways, its a bit early for me to be getting on my soapbox so im gonna shut up now! lol!

Archived