Mental Health Forums

Agitated

Tray

hate it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

only had two doses of them and i feel all hyper, wired, restless...

been up since 6am, didnt sleep at all really, hate the start of new tabs, they only 10mg citalapram as well for gods sake :blink:

Eeep I feel your pain! *hugs* Starting new meds is horrible, I always get a whole range of awful side effects. Citalopram in particular effected me terribly for the first few days, I felt like I was having a constant panic attack. Try to stick with it though, and you'll be feeling better before you know it :) xxxx

Hey tray , I just came off Citalopram a little while back, but am thinking of going back on it,  try and stick it out if you can, As i didnt realize how much it was helping until i came off it. I used to get little buzzy tingles first time taking it,  and it messed up my sleep to start with, but that soon settled down.

take care

marc x

Hiya Tray,

Sorry you are feeling so bad on your meds. It sounds like Akathisia, which i've had a few times and is one of the most horrible feelings- milder, i can't keep still,have to move even tho i don't want to, , feel so paniky, ---- to more severe, my whole tongue swells , jaw goes into spasm and 'locks'= pressure feels like im gonna break my own teeth and the anxiety level with thatis frightening- couldn't even speak in the ER on holidays where it happenned.

Thr most comon drug in the psych range to cause it would be (evil) halopirodol, then chlorprmazine, then tegretol. But any med can hsve an unorthodox reaction with your body and cause mild to severe akathisia. Dosage strenght has a lot to do with it, as does trying a new drug.. Heres some wiki info:

Akathisia, or acathisia, is a syndrome characterized by unpleasant sensations of "inner" restlessness that manifests itself with an inability to sit still or remain motionless (hence the word's origin in ancient Greek α (a), [without, not] + κάθισις (káthisis), [sitting]). Its most common cause is as a side effect of medications, mainly neuroleptic antipsychotics especially the phenothiazines (such as perphenazine and chlorpromazine), thioxanthenes (such as flupenthixol and zuclopenthixol) and butyrophenones (such as haloperidol (Haldol)), piperazines (such as ziprasidone), antispasmodics (such as metoclopramide), and antidepressants. Akathisia can also, to a lesser extent, be caused by Parkinson's disease and related syndromes.[1] However, most antipsychotic psychotropic drugs cause Parkinsonian like symptoms due to blockage of dopamine receptors in the nigrostriatal pathway of the brain.

Akathisia may range in intensity from a mild sense of disquiet or anxiety (which may be easily overlooked) to a total inability to sit still, accompanied by overwhelming anxiety, malaise, and severe dysphoria (manifesting as an almost indescribable sense of terror and doom). The condition is difficult for the patient to describe and is often misdiagnosed. When misdiagnosis occurs in antipsychotic neuroleptic-induced akathisia, more antipsychotic neuroleptics may be prescribed, potentially worsening the symptoms.

[1] High-functioning patients have described the feeling as a sense of inner tension and torment or chemical torture

CAUSES:

Akathisia is most often seen as a side effect of antipsychotic medications and medications such as reglan, but has other causes as well:

• Non-sedating antipsychotics[9] such as haloperidol (Haldol), droperidol, pimozide, trifluoperazine, amisulpride, risperidone, aripiprazole (Abilify) and asenapine (Saphris). Less common in sedating antipsychotics such as zuclopenthixol (Cisordinol) or chlorpromazine where anticholinergic and antihistaminergic effects counteract akathisia to a degree.
  • SSRIs, such as fluoxetine (Prozac).[10] It has also been documented with the use of paroxetine (Paxil).[7] Akathisia has been studied as the mechanism by which SSRI-induced suicidality occurs.[10]
  • Other antidepressants, such as venlafaxine, the tricyclics and trazodone (Desyrel).
  • Certain anti-emetic drugs, particularly the dopamine blockers, such as metoclopramide (Reglan) and prochlorperazine (Compazine).
  • Opiate withdrawal

TREATMENT

Acute akathisia is treated with medications, most often diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Treatment can also include the discontinuation or reduction of dose of the causative agent.

Akathisia can also be reduced by administering other drugs, though effectiveness can vary with more severe cases resistant to most drug treatment. Benzodiazepines like clonazepam (Klonopin) are effective. Some consider the drug of choice for the treatment of akathisia to be beta-blockers such as propranolol (Inderal) or metoprolol. The antihistamine cyproheptadine is also effective, though with shorter effect than beta blockers.

One study showed that vitamin B6 is effective for the treatment of neuroleptic-induced akathisia.[11]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tray, i really do suggest if you fit this criteria to go to the hospital as oon as possible, , it gets worse before it gets better, and can cause your mind to think crazy thoughts.

Not enough info is given out about this 'side' effect, which is extremely distressing.

I have gotten an IV VBenadryl drip both in Ireland and the US when it happenned to me- approx 5 times. Its torture but goes away quickly with treatment.

take care, regards to you and keera,

Anne Marie

Archived