Mental Health Forums

A Rose

Betsy

Everyones nicknames intrig me. I chose mine because it was neutral, noncommittal.

What does your name mean to you and why did you chose it?

Just wondering.

1) My friend always laugh at me calling me a baby (I'm one of the older kids in the group, acctually) and acctually gave me a pacifier for Christmas. lol But they say that I belong in fairy tales more than real life.

2) I want to be able to believe in fairytales. I've always wanted to have so sparkle of hope that they're real.

One day I said to my therapist Tell me a story. And she said I will if you fill in the details. It was about a toadstool (me) and his friendship with a hedgehog (her). Afterwards I made a book of it for her - took me hours on the computer and Paint program. She loved it though.

My name began as flipside, i was reading an Ian Rankin novel at the time of joinng another board but then it changed to flip and then flippy which i like best so i am now flippy

My nick is summer because it is my favorite season of the year ..I love the hot weather.........plus my birthday is in the summertime.......

I think I will pat myself on the back for this topic. It is really good. I love hearing everyones response and look forward to hearing more. Thanks everyone who has shared her with me!

buoyant

\Buoy"ant\, a. [From Buoy, v. t. & i.] 1. Having the quality of rising or floating in a fluid; tending to rise or float; as, iron is buoyant in mercury.

My name, Buoyant Cat, means floating cat. It came from an extremely vivid dream I had a few months ago. In the dream, I went on vacation with two good friends, one being Jon, and his mom Judy. However, on this trip, I was in charge of their cat, Allie. I was fully responsible for their pet during this trip...which I found odd. We went on vacation to some exotic unknown place, but I do remember that we were staying in a very large, tall and magnificent hotel on the water front. On the water front of what, you may ask? I am not really sure, but I think we were at the ocean. Anyway, this hotel was RIGHT on the beach. The hotel was awesome...like buffets, and suites, and oh so nice. Outside, the weather was mild. It was a bit sunny with some clouds, but there was a lot of wind this one particular day. We came out of the hotel with our beach belongings for the day. We were wandering the wide sands, and there was a sort of carnival going on. Meanwhile, I was clutching their pet cat very tightly, because she happened to be my unjust responsibility on this trip. There were all sorts of fair-like events going on, and we happened to see this big floating hut tied up to the beach. It was in the very shallow water where the waves were crashing, and it was bouncing around a lot. This thing was like one of those things you see kids jumping in at the fair. Well, they were serving lunch in this thing, which I thought was odd because it was tossing and turning and moving up and down in the water. I suggested to Jon and Judy that we eat lunch somewhere else. This is when I looked out to the ocean and saw that they were giving boating tours on big marine fishing boats. They liked this suggestion, and we were soon on the marine boat. Jon was driving the boat, and Judy was eating lunch, and they were having a lot of fun. However, I was in the back of the boat trying to keep the cat from jumping out. I thought that this whole responsibility of looking after their cat was not really my responsibility, however, I looked after the cat. Suddenly, the cat jumped out of my arms and ran around the cabin. I chased the cat all over the boat and finally caught it.

Then, just as I had captured the cat, it leaped out of the boat, into the water! Ahh! But something reallllly weird happened. The cat was floating! It was just sitting there on the water in it's normal kitty cat position floating gently along the waves. This really pissed me off....that stupid cat....so I got a big fish net, and scooped it out of the water and brought it back into the boat.

We finally got back to our hotel, and as we were in the elevator, the cat again jumped out of my arms and began running around in circles crazily in the elevator. I was furious! This cat wasn't even mine, and I had to keep taking care of it! Then, we got back to our beatiful hotel room, and I finally let the cat out of my arms. We were safe back in the confines of our room where the cat could not escape. I decided I would let it wander the room. Just as I was ready to sit down and relax, the cat crapped in the bathroom. It was not ordinary crap. This cat crap looked like paint. Red, blue, yellow... All over the bathroom! Oh my gosh! I wanted to kill this menace feline! Jon and Judy just laughed, as they watched me clean the bathroom. Then...I woke up.

So, that's how my name, BuoyantCat, comes about...my fellow menace feline who could float on water in my dreams.

REMINDER: THIS WAS JUST A DREAM, AND NOT A REAL LIFE EVENT!

i chose emerald because first of all i used the nick for years on irc.secondly most people would pick o diamond over an emerald,very few appreciate the stone.i may not be a diamond,but i am definatly a gem of some kind. :P

Hehe. My name's complicated...just like me.

My real name is Amanda. As a kid one of my nicknames was Amanda-Panda. (And actually, some people still call me Panda.) Somewhere between 14 and 16 I created a character called Nyke (after the Greek goddess of victory). At 16 I began spending a lot of time at various online fora, and Nyke was my username. One day my friend Patrick called me the Great Shoe Panda, and I was like What the heeell... and he explained to me that, as Nike is the name of a shoe company, and I am a panda, I am a shoe panda.

And thus, Shoe Panda was born. =]

My nickname is quite boring i get called tory short for victoria(cos i hate being called vicky) and when i made my email address tory was taken so i picked tory111 and thats just name i use now on everything so i dont get confused!

I think fairytales are very kool!

And this was great topic Betsy!

tory

a couple of reasons.

One is from greek mythology - Io is the daughter of Inachus, and she goes through a pretty rough time.

The other is of my avatar icon right there. It's known as the Common Peacock, but its taxonomic name is Inachis io. They're pretty, but they don't actually fly where I live.

i chose lucy because its shorter than lucinda which is my name

and a rose by any other name doesnt smell as sweet :)

Archived