Mental Health Forums

Hypoglycaemic Diet

hummm_mabbe

Helloooo

Yeah just that really - I think my change of diet / eating is having some quite startling effects. Today, for the first time in a long time, I just felt calm and relaxed. I went for my usual walk, and whilst I always enjoy it, theres normally just this 'haze' of baseline anxiety in the background, and though the twees and bunny wabbits and fowests all give me a good happy vibe on one level, theres normally still that thing lurking in the background.

Today it just wasnt there. As I was walking around, I actually started feeling happy, and very relaxed. Instead of being stuck in some load of thoughty thinks, I felt much freer to just walk, look at the twees and the sky and wittle birdies and things and be a hippy.

There were a couple of times where I saw people and felt a bit anxious, but it seemed to pass more quickly. I could use the mindfulness I have learned much more effectively, and it seemed that any negative thoughts or images were less sticky to the inside of my brain. I was even smiling at people :)

Then a dog did a poo and it was smelly, but that was ok because it was soon replaced by the smell of pines and grass and nice things.

Ive been told that this diet kina makes you improve with time if blood sugar is a problem for you, which it seems to be for me. It hasnt yet solved my sleepie problems, which I am convinced are the same thing (blood sugar lows in the night). So whilst I know theres still lots of psychological stuff to work through, I feel like I am making headway with something that adds needless stress and added force to the problems that are there.

Will of course have to wait and see if this keeps up and isnt just a fluke ... :unsure:

Ross

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy rossy

it's great to "feel" alive

i am experiencing that atm wit the droppin meds thingie...

may even go walkin in woods near me sometime...

back on topic... i did a nutritional diet a while back - and i really really did feel better... so i get that the diet mood interconnecty feely stuff... maybe this will give me the kick to revisit this... dunno... after hols of course !!!!

any chance of a pic of the woods where u walk? ickly bunny wabbits and twees and stuff?

lots of luvvy huggles to you.... as Roses says... keep us posted...

Kath

xxxxxx

I'm interested in hearing more about this diet - what kind of things do you eat? I'm a student nurse and a while ago we were practising taking blood sugars and mine was very, very low - though blood tests at the doctors said I didn't have diabetes or anything but I still think that how I eat is affecting my mood and anxiety - I often get really dizzy and sleepy half way through the day and that's what normally triggers a panic attack for me.

Hi Suzie

Sorry to hear you are going wibblie too :( This is kinna the broad outline of the diet:

DONT

1. Eat refined sugars - eg choccie, sweets, cakes, added sugar (in so many foods) etc

2. Take anything with caffeine

3. Drink alcohol - even more powerful producer of hypos than caffeine or sugar.

4. Eat simple carbs, eg white flour products

5. Smoke - dunno why, just what ive read ... mabbe something to do with the nicotine / dopamine response link to blood sugar?

DO

1. Eat 5-6 small meals a day, or every 2-3 hours - whichever leads to symptoms stopping. This one is pretty much the backbone of the diet. Could also have the usual 3 meals, but with high protein snacks in between.

2. Eat complex carbs - brown/whole wheat products such as pasta and bread and so on

3. Eat high fibre products

4. Try to have a greater proportion of protein than carbs at each sitting

5. Exercise frequently, but ensure a good food intake an hour or so before starting to prevent hypos during exercise.

6. Drink plenty of water. I have been cutting back massively on how much squash I have, just sticking to water.

7. Have something to eat before bed, to smooth out night time blood sugar. Helps to make dinner a bigger meal, but not with too much carb.

Im still fairly new to it, and at the mo Im in the process of finding new foods I like, recipes and all that because as it stands what im eating is a lil bit repetitive. There seem to be lots of books out there. My usual diet is like this currently:

Waking: Half a mug of hot milk

Breakfast: Two boiled eggs and one piece of taost, plus a large glass of OJ but cut 50/50 with water

Mid morning snack: Ryvita or 'original' (sugar free) oat cake, plus bit of sandwich chicken. Water

Lunch: Salad with sugar free dressing, with piece of ham, bit of coleslaw (which is slightly naughty as it has a little bit of sugar in, dunno about that yet) and a slice of brown bread with lots butter.

2pm and 4pm: Either ryvita / oat cake with chicken / tuna, or mug of milk with an apple. Whatever is enough to keep me balanced.

Dinner: Two chicken breasts, a handful of brown pasta and some veggies. Been cutting out sauces. No puddings.

8-9pm: Snack on nuts if needed

9pm: Ryvita / chicken / tuna or mug milk before bed

It sounds like a lot, but I actually find I need it. Im not putting on weight, and Im exercising so thats good news :) I also take chromium and potassium supplements as they are meant to help blood sugar. Apparently the longer you are on the diet, the longer you can leave between eating cuz you smooth out a lot. Apparently later you can even add a little bit of nice and naughty stuff too ... a lil :)

If I wake in the night with hypo symptoms, Ive been having various things, not really found a smooth way to manage these yet. Im hoping that progress will sill over into the night as my blood sugar evens out!

To be honest Ive not found it so hard to do - I had already noticed the effect of caffeine on me and started to cut that out about a month or two ago. Because you eat so regularly, and drink plenty, the sugar cravings are quite suppressed. The one thing I do miss is my sauces, so I am looking for sugar free alternatives to those. Im also a bit lactose intolerant so want something to replace the milk!

For me it seems to have had an immediate effect, but apparently some people feel far worse for the first 2 weeks due to withdrawal from caffeine / sugar. Been told this is something that works over the "months" timescale too ... i felt better after a few days but sleep is being slow to respond, still waking up with hypos.

Ross

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy rossy

it's great to "feel" alive

i am experiencing that atm wit the droppin meds thingie...

may even go walkin in woods near me sometime...

back on topic... i did a nutritional diet a while back - and i really really did feel better... so i get that the diet mood interconnecty feely stuff... maybe this will give me the kick to revisit this... dunno... after hols of course !!!!

any chance of a pic of the woods where u walk? ickly bunny wabbits and twees and stuff?

lots of luvvy huggles to you.... as Roses says... keep us posted...

Kath

xxxxxx

Hi chippie kath

Oh yeah I think diet is definitely a part of it ... im glad it seemed to work for you too. Mabbe adding this will be that last touch to make you go stratospherically shiny? :lol:

I DO SO have a picture of twees, I will have to figure out how to get it off my phone :)

Ross

Sounds great Rossie babe! Keep us posted hey? Perhaps I might try it if it's that good. xxx

Hi misses mc roses xylophone plinker III

Today has been pretty good, I found I acted quite different towards my physio and towards some people that asked directions. I just feel brighter, more happy. There is still the face to face anxiety in the background, but it doesnt feel so pressing. Before when i was going to the physio it was always 2 hours after lunch - the time when I know I have to eat again. I really felt like she didnt like me and that I came across angry and resentful and horrid ... today I just didnt feel that way. I still babbled, but at least that was just the psychomalogical bits. Again, will have to keep an eye on it - if this lasts for two weeks, I will hail it a success. If not I shall poo poo it as a flash in the pan placebo jobbie and throw a tantrum.

Lol black and white thinking much ... :blink:

Ross

Rossie Mc Bang The Drum II

All of this is sounding really good and is what we have started doing over the last few months without realising it. Plus the training I'm doing I have lost a good couple of inches off my waist and hips and toned with muscle definition maxed-up! I am basically following that diet but without so much of the snacks and obviously on training nights I have a huge pasta/rice extravaganza a couple of hours before and a hot choc to get my body moving just before I start cos of the wibblies. We only have seeded bread, brown rice/pasta, grilled fish/chix for all of them and some cheese for me. I must admit that I have felt less 'fuzzy' of late. Obviously all my psychotic stuff is still there :wacko:

but I am generally fitter and not so wibbly-wobbly first thing in morning and that. Now I just need to get that xylophone out and plinkety plonk it a little! LOL

Ooh thank you for posting that diet, that's a great help! Will have a little mooch around the net now and see what else I can find. Doesn't look too hard to stick to actually - apart from the no-coffee bit ;)

Oops

I dunno if anyone read it, but so much anger and stuff came out when I was writing that bullying post, that right after I just had this massive craving for sugar.

So I piggled a bit.

I wanted one of the choc ice's in the freezer, but I didnt. I had some yoghurt, which I know is stuffed with sugar. Then I glugged some undiluted OJ. Its not much really at all, but well. Thought Id say.

Is interesting that stress lead straight to the craving for sugar so strongly though.

Rossie Mc Piggledabit

Yeah, I was told today that stress it an outdated response as we are no longe chased by lions through the jungle we get flooded with all that adrenilin and where does it all go? We hurt ourselves or others and get these massive cravings for energy foods which we would naturally need in the fight or flight scenario. So you were just acting normally Rossie, don't beat yourself up over it and you coulda done much much worse that some OJ and a yoghurt! It actually advises that you have one day a week where you 'sin' on the diet that you mention because the body does actually NEED a bit of unrefined,sugary badness as much as it needs all that healthy stuff. Give yourself a break, seriously. Everything in moderation is the key. If you start restricting too much you are on the slippery slope to the guilt trips of an eating disorder my friend. I think you are doing great and have lost so much in such a short time. Big, safe hugglie-snugglies to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

healthy diet/food as healing stuffs is great stuff, but like youv found the cravings etc kick in and that parts real important to cause if that how these feelings are 'speaking' then immediately silencing them insisting on super healthy only good stuff allowed diet will just leave them silenced. looking at why the cravings are kicking in and what they can be telling you is v important too. i have billions of issues around food, which are all mostly resolved thankfully, but the inner need for caffine and sweet soothing foods is still with me often, i am v hypersensitive to sugar and caffine but have allways felt much more emotionally better when i let in little bits like this when the impulse is screaming out. i thinkfor me the cafine thing is related just to being too drained and tired right now to be coping with everything, so if i know i need to make it through a shift before i can get home and have quiet time i let myself have some caffine support. the sugar/choc thing is much more an inner child need, the comfort of sweet stuff. this often comes at the expense of meals cause i dont mis the too for some reason, the appitite for each coming from different sides of who i am i guess. and although this sounds like a strange diet, im convinced its the right way to go about it cause despite what a nutritionalist would think of it all i have gorgeous skin and hair and nails and am much much healthier now than i ever was when i wouldnt let myself eat this way.

Oo no this diet isnt about losing weight, or denying myself things :) Its about cutting out those things that make my body react badly. Im actually eating more calroies in total than before, and am maintaining weight at a nice healthy level :)

Sweet things are nice treats, the prollem is that I pay a price for eating them in the form of anxiety, sudden loss of energy, shakeyness, a cold sweat, dizziness, headache and so on. They taste nice, but affect my body in a funny way. BTW im not diabetic, had tests for that ...

I actually found this, which seems to describe it much better. I have been using a glucose meter and so far havent seen any 'official' hypoglycaemia (less than 3.9 mmol/l blood sugar), so this one seems to fit better:

Postprandial Syndrome and Adrenergic Postprandial Syndrome

"If there is no hypoglycemia at the time of the symptoms, this condition is called Postprandial Syndrome. It might be an "Adrenergic Postprandial Syndrome" - the glycemia is normal, but the symptoms are caused through autonomic adrenergic counterregulation. Often, this syndrome is associated with emotional distress and anxious-behaviour of the patient. Dietary recommendations for reactive hypoglycemia can help to relieve symptoms of postprandial syndrome" (which they are! whoooo).

Ross

I'm glad you are not doing it to lose weight hun. You are a health guru my friend and I just know you are going to keep on just feeling better and better xxxxx

Wow can I just say a big THANK YOU for posting this!! After reading it I sat for a good few hours last night reading through bits and bobs on the internet, I can't believe how many links there are between this diet and anxiety. I'm tucking into 2 boiled eggs right now & having a mug of hot water instead of my usual coffee :)

Often, this syndrome is associated with emotional distress and anxious-behaviour of the patient

another emotional / physical connection...

very neuropsychological immunology (NPI)

i am very very into this sort of thing... got a diploma in it... :)

*continues to be inspired*

xxx

• 5 months later...

Oo this is an old one

Actually it all seemed to sort itself out, or maybe I just stopped paying so much attention to it.

Now Im back to eating mostly crap and it doesnt bother me lol

:lol:

Ross

i dont know all the ins and outs about food and nutritional stuff but when ever i go on a serious diet and only eat healthy stuff, after a few weeks i start to feel so much better in myself and my mood. i have loads more energy which i think is the key to my specific circumstances as i have the energy to do more things and go out places where usually i just wouldnt go cuz it would just feel like to much of an effort

Archived