Mental Health Forums

4:48 Psychosis

bena.baby

I don't know if any of you know Sarah Kane's work - she was a British playwright, who was pretty popular (or as popular as a playwright gets) in the 90s, but killed herself in 1999; she had dealt with severe depression her whole life. Her work can be pretty heavy-going, not just the content (she got totally lambasted in the tabloids for having too much violence and swearing in her plays) but also the style (sometimes you don't know who is meant to be speaking; sometimes you do know but the dialogue is not in any way linear).

Anyway, I was re-reading 4:48 Psychosis the other night, which deals directly with depression and mental health. I remember reading it when I was much much iller than I am now, and it really struck me, it was like she was describing exactly how I felt. Now I don't feel the same resonance with it, but there was one line that really stood out for me:

"some call this self-indulgence

(they are lucky not to know the truth)"

It's so true. For every single mf out there who doesn't know how awful it is to be forced to live with these hideous emotions, and thinks that all we're doing is making a fuss over nothing - you are LUCKY. LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY.

i couldnt agree more. so often i feel guilty for feeling so low and tell myself there other people who are worse off. but deep down (and on better days) i know that i didnt choose this for myself anymore than those worse off chose their lot. and i commend all of us who open our eyes every day even though we'd give anything not to ever do it again!

Archived