Mental Health Forums

Blood Test Result Anxiety

gothicangel

I have been on Effexor for a year and my pdoc sent me to get a blood test done last week because my periods have stopped since having my coil put in in February. They tested my blood for cholestrol, prolactin and a couple of other things that I can't remember. Called today to get the results, or so I thought. I was told by the receptionist that I needed to come in to speak to a doctor in person. They said it was nothing serious, but the nurse that took my blood said the doctor would call me in if they found any abnormalities. I've never had any physical health problems before and I'm scared, I couldn't get an appointment til next week so the thought has just been going round and round in my head and I know it will be like this all week. I just wish they could tell me what it's regarding so I don't have to torture myself for the next seven days! My biggest fear is that I'm infertile. At 21 this is silly I know but I think I would be able to carry on if I knew I couldn't have children.

hey there, i just wanted you to know that even if it was a fertility issue they are so common and so treatable, i have just been dx'ed with poly cystic ovaries after years of probs inc being told i was going through the menopause early which scared the hell outta me!! im 30. poly cystic ovaries cause fertility probs but my good gp has put me on meds that increase your fertility loads and loads and im not trying for kids, what im trying to say is you may have nothing at all to worry about, the coil can and does stop periods you may be low in iron or something... good luck with it and let us know how you get on

Yeah, I agree with Paris there. So many things can be cured/fixed/abated long enough to have children. I have PCOS too and was told in my late teens I had an 11% chance of having kids. I had a miscarriage but went on to have 2 beautiful children. If it was serious they would have seen you the day after getting the results or sent you to a Consultant asap. I would imagine you are probably anaemic or something, or that you have a slight hormonal inbalance. I'll be thinking of you, please do let us know how you get on. xxx

They might not realize how much anxiety this is causing you, so I think its worth a try to call and explain and see if you can get in earlier.

Lilly

I agree with everyone above and also second Lilly's advice, if this is causing your anxiety to be worse then ask them to arrange an earlier appointment or for the doctor to phone you.

xx

Thank you everyone. I've been researching and I think I could be anaemic. I seem to have all the symptoms. That might even explain my palpitations. But I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet. It's just helpful knowing that it things can be done. If my anxiety returns I will call the doctor though.

Oooh Piuma you're a peer supporter now! Congrats! I went in to the doctors yesterday and apparently my levels of prolactin and my cholestrol are slightly above normal but nothing to be worried about. I need to have an ECG scan for my palpitations and there was something weird with my red blood cell count that apparently my pDoc will be able to tell me more about in relation to my meds when I see her next week.

xxxx

Archived