Mental Health Forums

Can Coming Off Seroquel (Quetiapine) Make Me Anxious

successful_workthru

I have been taking 25mg seroquel (quetiapine) for the last four days, my psychiatrist said I could come off it, so I did yesterday.

Prior to this I was takig 50mg for five days, and prior to this was taking 100mg for 2 weeks

I am anxious anyway as I am withdrawing from benzos, but feel extra anxious today.

From such a small dose, could the anxiety I am feeling today be down to coming off seroquel.

Hey Success, quetiapine is one of the ones that is hard to come off. Apparently rapid withdrawal is akin to heroine withdrawals and it sounds like you are coming off them pretty quick. Can you google it? I found I was fine cutting down to 50 a day (I am on 200 a day), but when I went lower than this I got anxious again. Could they prescribe propanolol for your anxiety and once that is in your system then come off the quetiapine. The propranolol is much easier to come off later on xxxxx

Hey Success, quetiapine is one of the ones that is hard to come off. Apparently rapid withdrawal is akin to heroine withdrawals and it sounds like you are coming off them pretty quick. Can you google it? I found I was fine cutting down to 50 a day (I am on 200 a day), but when I went lower than this I got anxious again. Could they prescribe propanolol for your anxiety and once that is in your system then come off the quetiapine. The propranolol is much easier to come off later on xxxxx

Thanks Roses, I am off those meds now. My psychiatrist said I could jump off at 25mg. In two weeks, when the sero is out my system I can start my tapering from tranquilisers.

At the moment I am on the phone to the samaritans several times a day, just to talk to someone.

My problems are a circular unsolvable thing, but talking helps, siting alone feels like agony.

If the sero withdrawals are causing the anxiety, maybe in a few days, the anxiety will subside, heres hoping.

• 5 months later...

This could be a reason i feel so shite, i take 200mg at night with a further 2oomg on prn, this i have been storing. I dont know what to do now for the best

Scally x

I have been taking 25mg seroquel (quetiapine) for the last four days, my psychiatrist said I could come off it, so I did yesterday.

Prior to this I was takig 50mg for five days, and prior to this was taking 100mg for 2 weeks

I am anxious anyway as I am withdrawing from benzos, but feel extra anxious today.

From such a small dose, could the anxiety I am feeling today be down to coming off seroquel.

Hi SW,

Yeah i think it can make you anxious, although i dont know about the smaller doses like 25mg. I was on 600mg and when i came off mine a few months ago, so anxious it was untrue.

In the end i went back to the doctors and decreased the amount more slowly. Maybe ask the doctor to do that for you, because even a few mg matters to your brain, it thinks its missing out on something lol!

Emmie xx

Archived