Mental Health Forums

Do You Have Phobias?

LadyMacbeth

A lot of pregnancy symptoms can be psychological... that's why people with phantom pregnancies often feel more pregnant than those who really are :P

All my phobias lead to my main one- a phobia of pain. I cannot stand needles, I dread a gallstone attack, I'm absolutely petrified of falling, all in case I hurt myself. I haven't even had my ears pierced because I'm so scared it will hurt. Stupid thing is, I can actually deal with pain quite well once I'm experiencing it, it's more the thought of it I'm scared of.

I also suffer from dizzy spells (have done since I was a child) so I'm scared of going out alone in case I have a dizzy spell, fall over and get hurt! I also am scared of queues because I can only stand up for a very short while without getting really dizzy. Again though, what I'm mainly afraid of is hurting myself (or someone else- I'm also petrified of hurting other people).

The only good thing of my phobia is that there's no chance of me cutting myself deliberately, no matter what my doc says :P

I've even given blood to try and get rid of my phobia of needles, and like always that was fine (but I did get the local anesthetic... although that's given by a needle itself :P) but it hasn't helped my overall phobia. I'm just glad I could help someone else, and I can't wait for my surgery so I can give blood again :D

My main phobia is needing and knowingly to clinically examine all my anxieties and the agoraphobia to improve my day to day living.

My main phobia is avoiding anything that might create my anxiety...

The phobia of the toilet flushing while being in the shower......

Wiz

• 1 month later...

I have a hoorendous phobia of anything which looks like it should be alive but isnt..for example: Manakins, wax figures, dresses in museums. statues, porcelin dolls, Taxidermy ( I REALLLY hate taxidermy!!!!))), Oil paintings eurgh!!! No amount of therapy has been able to help. :wacko: So i avoid loads of places just in case. I used to have Social phobia but this has lifted somewhat with meds!!!!

i'm scared of loads of stuff...

spiders

any bugs

small spaces

people leaving me

being alone

being ill (mentally)

what people think of me

when i am at a low point, i cant stand airports/buses/shopping centres as i just panic. normally i am fine with these but when my mental health deteriorates, i'm f**ked

Im am very scared of needles!!! like really bad.

ppl who are drunk

men (dont laugh plz. im just scared of certain men. its hard to explain)

loosing ppl i love

being hurt again

okay i know this sounds weird but i could never date a guy with red/orange hair. (its just a bad reminder)

serial killers

im scared of being in the dark alone.

heights

dying

getting ill (cancer and stuf like that)

dying in a terrible way!

my gosh guys. im scared of a lot of things but this is some!!

This thread reminds me of something that happened in my therapist's building on Wed.

I HATE elevators and I always walk up the stairs to the third floor. But, to my dismay on Wed. the bloody door was locked so I started to panic a little. I was about to call my T to walk down the stairs and open the door for me. :lol: Then I thought screw it I will just force myself to take the elevator or I will get a lecture about it when I see her. So I took the elevator to the first floor and then walked up two flights of stairs because I was too afraid of taking that damn elevator the rest of the way.

I told my T about this and she told me that I need to start taking that elevator and get over this fear because its not real. I told her that elevators are so small and I feel smothered in them. I also fear that the elevator may get stuck and I won't be able to get out. I also stated that I do have a fear of the cable breaking and the elevator starts to free fall and kills me. She then asked me how many elevators do I think there are in Manhattan and I responded millions and then she asked me how many do you think free fall a year? I said maybe about ten. She asked if I ever heard or read about an elevator freefalling down a hundred feet or whatever and I said no. :lol: Yes, we had a good laugh about this! :lol: :lol:

Only just figured this out but. . . .

I have a very big fear of sleeping at night

I thought it was fear of being alone but, as I wasn't alone last night (woo hoo), and still didn't want to fall asleep, it kinda hit me it's night time I don't feel safe.

Need to go have a nap right now as I prolly got only 1 hour of terrifying sleep last night.

Cath. x

mine are

hieghts

meeting new people

drowning

closed spaces

walking over bridges

i dont date men with red either because most of them are wankers bitter experience debs

I used to be scared of vomiting (just myself no one else).

That has kind of gone now, although I always cry if I puke.

I used to be terribly claustrophobic, but this also has improved. I always used to avoid lifts but over time I taught myself to get in them.

I am terrified of people I love dying (cos they tend to die alot) and I am trying to get over this with the help of Buddhism.

Plus I am starting DBT next week which apparently teaches 'mindfulness' so it's a start. :blink:

elevators

locking bathrooms

using public bathrooms

rollor coasters

anything high

closed in cars (have to have a little window down)

being by myself

my (dad)

planes

going on trips by myself

being with alot of people

probably more but that is all i can think about now!! hopefully i did this right!!

Sandra

im scared of planes too. and when im in elevators i have thoughts that i will get stuck in them. I think i watch too much tv .. lol

I wouldnt date guys with red hair bcuz HE had red hair.....

okay heres all of mine put together that come to mind right now. lol RIGHT NOW!

Im am very scared of needles!!! like really bad.

ppl who are drunk

men (dont laugh plz. im just scared of certain men. its hard to explain)

loosing ppl i love

being hurt again

okay i know this sounds weird but i could never date a guy with red/orange hair. (its just a bad reminder)

serial killers

im scared of being in the dark alone.

heights

dying

getting ill (cancer and stuf like that)

dying in a terrible way!

planes

fire

getting stuck in an elevator.

being killed or badly hurt

im scared of whats in the dark/ what could be in the dark

being forced to things i dont want to

some guys(the way some look at me makes me scared)

aligators

sharks

sometimes im scared of water

im scared of vomiting too...whenever i get the flu n have to throw up..i scream really loud bcuz i hate it...its scary! my mom sais i sound like im being murdered cuz i scream so loud! lol its funny now..but not when it happens (knock on wood)

going insane

being stalked

my dreams being shattered

Like i said im basically scared of everything!! but these are some.

mine are:

leaving the house

being around people

clowns

spiders

doctors

hospitals

talking on the phone

flying daddy long legs

theres lots more but my brain isnt working right today

:wacko:

xxx kimmi xxx

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Spiders.

I can't even talk about them without shiverring. I was in an anxiety management group and we got talking about our phobias. I told the nurse about it and he kept talking about them and talking and talking.

In the end i ran out in tears and i think he realised just how much it affected me. I can't even look at pictures of one, never mind actually looking at a live moving one!

Burglers

I always check everything at least twice so i know that there's no-one breaking in. I dunno if it's just paranoia. But it affects me a lot at night and sometimes even have to go for a walk in the silly hours of the night.

Dying

Even though i sometimes get suicidal, i get very scared of what happens next. Will i be in pain when i die? Will i go to Hell like what the Bible says, eben though in my mind i don't know it exists?

Insects and buzzy things that fly

Urrrrrrk I hate all crawlies, which isn't a good thing considering i'm a gardener. I hate wasps and bees, which probably stems from when a swarm moved in under the kitchen (we had a wooden extension back in those days).

Thunder & Lightning

Hide me in a cupboard, lock me under a quilt. Anywhere but near a storm where i can see or hear it.

That's all i can think of atm.

Archived