Mental Health Forums

Lithium.

~LouLou~

I haven't posted here for an extremely long time. I didn't think I had any reason too. I thought I was getting better. I was wrong. I'm not.

I've now been prescribed Lithium to help stabilize my moods. My moods are horrendous. I can experience so many different emotions in an extremely short space of time.

At first I was dubious about taking Lithium. I've been told that it could dramatically change my life though. I am prepared to do anything

So, my question is: How many of you take Lithium? What are your experiences with it? How does it make you feel? Do you suffer from any side effects?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Lou xxx

Lou Lou, welcome back. Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. At the time I started lithium I had been in and out of hossie for about 8 months and was one step away from ECT. I went on it and ever since I did my moods and impsulivity have been so much better. It literally saved my life and it has not morphed me in to another person either. I am a bit dopey and so take it at night but I also take a horrendous acmount of other drugs so they all interact. I was like you "I'll try anything right now" and I'm glad I did. It literally turned my life around. hope it works well for you. I am on 800mg now. xxx

Lou Lou, welcome back. Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. At the time I started lithium I had been in and out of hossie for about 8 months and was one step away from ECT. I went on it and ever since I did my moods and impsulivity have been so much better. It literally saved my life and it has not morphed me in to another person either. I am a bit dopey and so take it at night but I also take a horrendous acmount of other drugs so they all interact. I was like you "I'll try anything right now" and I'm glad I did. It literally turned my life around. hope it works well for you. I am on 800mg now. xxx

Thank you ever so much for you reply Roses.

As well as the Lithium, I am taking 30mg Mirtazapine and 100mg Quetiapine. I am hoping the combination of all 3 will have a huge impact on my life.

It's so encouraging to hear you have had great success on Lithium. It definitely gives me hope when I thought all was lost.

xxx

I'm glad it has helped LouLou. I am on 200 quetiapine as well as the lithium, propranolol, lofepramine, tryptofan and sleepers. I am not proud of how many i need to take but I am alive and that is the main thing. xxxxx

hey. im on similar meds to you. i take 40mg citalopram. 100mg quitiapine and 800mg lithium although, i have just changed to lithium liquid as i dont like swallowing tablets at the moment. the tablets didnt seem to give me any major side affetcs, except very dry mouth which the quitiapine can do any way, and um i did crave sugar, but again the quitiapine can also do that. other wise, no real change in side affetcs from the meds i was already on. xxx

I'm glad it has helped LouLou. I am on 200 quetiapine as well as the lithium, propranolol, lofepramine, tryptofan and sleepers. I am not proud of how many i need to take but I am alive and that is the main thing. xxxxx

I used to be on god knows how many various medications, but have slowly got down to 2, well 3 now. I like you I don't like the fact I have to take medication. If it means being able to lead a relatively normal life though I am prepared to do it.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to see a noticeable difference in your mood?

hey. im on similar meds to you. i take 40mg citalopram. 100mg quitiapine and 800mg lithium although, i have just changed to lithium liquid as i dont like swallowing tablets at the moment. the tablets didnt seem to give me any major side affetcs, except very dry mouth which the quitiapine can do any way, and um i did crave sugar, but again the quitiapine can also do that. other wise, no real change in side affetcs from the meds i was already on. xxx

Thank you for reply Piuma. I haven't noticed any of those side effects whilst being on Quetiapine. I have been on it a number of years though, so I may of had them at the beginning.

How long have you been on Lithium now? How long did it take you to see a noticeable effect in your mood?

xxx

I was in hossie at the time that I started it and I was in there for a good 3 months after as needed to get the whole 'cocktail' just right. I started on 400 and that was increased to 600 a few weeks later and then was discharged on 600 but I got increased to 800 a few months after that so may have been 6 months before at just the right level but that was managed at home.

Archived