Mental Health Forums

Sectioning An Anorexic

x-Bliss-x

hello, im not sure but my mum has a pupil who is anorexic, and she is 14, when she dropped weight below the line set they hospitilized her, and had to gain weight, everytime she does not cooperate and drops weight she will be back in, she does not go to the mh unit tho, she goes to our nearest ed hospital unit, dunno if that helps, im sure it depends on each person, and how willing they are to get better.

think its refusal to be treated or co-operate with treatment. have to say and sorry for potentially coming across as a nosy so and so but if you know someone who you think needs to be sectioned for their anorexia please go to the drs about it. leah x

Sorry I should have mentioned. It's actually me. I've been threatened in the past but I'm not as ill as some of the other people I've seen sectioned so I think they are just threatening at the moment. I just wanted to find out at what point they would...so I never get there and I can say that actually you know what, I know you can't do that!

x-Bliss-x

They can section u, when ur a danger to ur self or anyone else. If your at a stage where u can't manage or look after urself, they can section u. There is no weight, or how thin, or how ill, its down to what or how much they feel ur a danger to yourself. If u carry on starving urself and go below a certain weight, they can do it, if ur not able to function they can do it. Maybe its time u look for help, if u don't want to be in hospital, is seek help and work on your ED.

xx

My friend has been sectioned numerous times for anorexia, the criteria for her was when she was at an extremely low weight, refusing to eat a thing or drink anything. Her blood results and potassium levels were extremely bad. She was told she had weeks to live and had to be tube fed.

Not sure if that's much help...

I too have an ED and I've watched a lot of friends go through it, please get help before you reach this point. Being forced fed through a tube is not a nice thing at all!

Take care.

I think there's really two bits of information out there that will really help you, since your in London:

One is the NICE Guidelines for Eating Disorders, which outlines the NHS treatment you can expect to receive once diagnosed with something. There are a bunch of these books for most things you can be diagnosed with, and they're well worth the read, because often NHS practitioners will try to completely ignore what they're meant to do in favour of what they want to do.

The NICE Guidelines for Eating Disorders are here: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG9

The second thing that might be helpful is to look for any information regarding the Mental Health Act you can find, as that outlines when you can and can't lawfully be sectioned. I had a quick look around and I can't find anything right now that looks reasonably easy to understand, what might be easiest is to see if you can get in touch with a mental health service in your area and see if they can provide you with some of that information? I would see if I could find a good one for you but I actually have better access to information on the Scottish system rather than the English.

There is, however, a wikipedia page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_Health_Act_2007

I hope this is useful to you.

Take care xxx

Archived