Mental Health Forums

For People With Bpd

purple-chick

67 members have voted

1. 1. just wondered if any of you were first diagnosed biploar, before being diagnosed bpd?

I was diagnosed Emotionally Unstable Borderline Type, first, and then Bipolar after, a double diagnosis, they reckon I have both, although, personally, I don't think I have bipolar at all.

But Bipolar is a difficult one isn't it, I mean you can have the whole denial thing going on, but BPD, yeah, I can accept that one pretty much.

had bipolar dx first, and I think it's mainly the mood swings that make them assume bipolar, the fact that you can be suicidal and then cheerful a few hours later.

But wouldn't that be more like rapid cycling?

I've been through about 15 mood changes each day for a few days, it happens when i'm hormonal. I get to spend two weeks out of every month going from suicidal to insanely cheerful and everything in between 5 million times a day!!

I thought i had Bipolar II last year because of it.

From what I understand of it, with BPD you get the ever changing mood swings, e.g. you can be suicidal in the morning but all happy in the afternoon. Your mood can be constantly changing in the course of the day, right up there to right down there, and back again. With Bipolar, the mood swings are more pesistant, lasting much longer, say, feeling europhoric and high for a few days or more, or feeling dysphoric, cant get out of bed, for a few days or more. Also with Bipolar you can become dellusional, thinking you are Jesus for example, or you are invincible, can do anything, you dont need sleep, but you inevertably crash at some point.

From what I understand of it, with BPD you get the ever changing mood swings, e.g. you can be suicidal in the morning but all happy in the afternoon. Your mood can be constantly changing in the course of the day, right up there to right down there, and back again. With Bipolar, the mood swings are more pesistant, lasting much longer, say, feeling europhoric and high for a few days or more, or feeling dysphoric, cant get out of bed, for a few days or more. Also with Bipolar you can become dellusional, thinking you are Jesus for example, or you are invincible, can do anything, you dont need sleep, but you inevertably crash at some point.

yes anna you put that very well, couldnt have explained it better myself xx

and bipolar mood swings are largely random whereas borderline mood swings are reactive. Even when it seems completely random, you can usually find the trigger if you look hard enough

I was first diagnosed as having bipolar when i was 14, i have found out recently. And since then, my diagnosis has switched from bipolar, to bpd, and back again, rinse and repeat.. Settling on bpd traits, currently, amongst other stuff. It just seems to be taking the pee a little bit, i guess. Though it seems i'm not the only one who's gone through it!

xx

hmm well i cant decide; i have BPD, with a diagnosis, then i was told i had more than BPD, then my daughter who has always needed special care from birth, has been told, tho im not sure as diagnosed with, bipolar. she and i are very alike, the mood swings, the way we respond, react, whereas she is more the bipolar scale of the huger mood and hyper swings than i have. it has been suggested i have bipolar too, tho when i measure it against my daughter i dont believe i have it, then when i read the postings above, i thought, but i do that too. i dont have delusions, where my daughter is deeper into that. tho that said i do have paranoia and extreme unsettlement around others. its possible that my daughter has viewed my paranoia reaction and uses her "escapism" delusional state as opposed to mine. i'm more fiery, will jump in, she hesitates more, but this could be the age/experience difference between us. my husband believes i am bipolar, with my mood states staying longer, apart from the switch to BPD anger states interspersing. difficult one. in addition the MH have said complex case to me, with other PD, and OCD to my daughter. we both receive our care in different parts of the country and yet with watching Stacey on Eastenders i was very overwhelmed. i thought i was very much like her. i was very distressed at watching her, as was my daughter. we thought that was an essential viewing to highlight to bring to the masses

neither my daughter nor myself use medication, we dont want to .. and try and cope without which again was unsettling on the Stacey version

just meant to add that i got a BPD diagnosis first, then the bipolar and other PD have muddied the waters, but i think that is more the interpretation has been by less experienced than others who do have BPD

I was dx with Bi Polar then it was changed to emotionally unstable personality disorder - borderline type. I personally think I have both but thats a different story

depression first in teens, then bpd and then sort of simultaneuosly (I know I've spelt that wring sorry) at one stage rapid cycling bipolar (which I think someone briefly mentioned here before), which i researched at the time but it made my head want to explode, very confusing.

pretty stable dx for last few years of bpd, but with bp meds. I don't think anyone really knows to be honest.

xxx

I thought I was mad for years. I was firstly thought of as having unipolar depression but I wasn't sure - it took me years and years to get a bi-polar diagnosis - but no pills can touch it and there is always a cause for any mood swing I feel and from everything that I've read I am convinced I have BPD. I seem to go in circles, just about coping and then falling down flat... It never ends and I am in total frustration.

I thought I was mad for years. I was firstly thought of as having unipolar depression but I wasn't sure - it took me years and years to get a bi-polar diagnosis - but no pills can touch it and there is always a cause for any mood swing I feel and from everything that I've read I am convinced I have BPD. I seem to go in circles, just about coping and then falling down flat... It never ends and I am in total frustration.

I was dx with Bi Polar then it was changed to emotionally unstable personality disorder - borderline type. I personally think I have both but thats a different story

And why not, one doesn't cancel out the possibility of the other? The doctors try their best but maybe we are the experts! x

I was originally diagnosed with Bipolar II. Then I had an my first manic episode that surpassed the hypomania that was keeping the Bipolar II diagnosis and was re-diagnosed as Bipolar I. Fast forward a year later and new therapist and more competent doctor and the diagnosis of bipolar has remained based on the manic episodes which are not characteristic of bpd. I still follow a typical bipolar cycle but unfortunately among that cycle when I should have a stable mood I am combating bpd mood instability and everything that accompanies it. I do feel this is the correct diagnosis for me and maybe a few years down the line I will completely diagree but I definitely feel like I follow the characteristic bipolar cycle and then when it is not a manic or depressive episode and I should be stable I have the bpd going on and when I am in the manic or depressive phases the bpd tendencies further exacerbate symptoms which is why I am more prone to suicidal tendencies and what not. Kinda sucks.

I had no idea what BDP was until just now, and it so fits the things that I do with regards one min okay - then if something don't go the way it is planned, i.e I get blown on by the bf, I get real agressive and angry, and sending the most horrendous texts.

I'm going to ask my quak about it.

Would make so much sense, can it be coupled with depression too?

Archived