Mental Health Forums

Can U Help Me?

stinkyboy

I finally came into enough money to buy my meds outright, but i need some help finding an antidepressant that works. I've tried many different one's in the past, but never had much success. Anyone else here that's had a similar problem and then finally found something that works for you? I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. Thanks, steve

Hey there Steve. I've had this, my body is very resiliant to drugs and some wouldn't work whilst others did for a few months and then stopped working. I've been on a wide variety of them but the one that did it for me was lofepramine. It's an older one. All the new ones just got assimilated (I am Borg) by my body. I am on a lot of other meds too (anti-psyches, lithium etc....) but this one worked in the mix. xxxxx

Hi stinky, like Roses said, anti depressants seem to be an art form rather than science and it can take years of mixing and matching to get them right. However, I have been reading about a pretty new one called Valdoxen (unfortunately I can't be prescribed it here in the UK cause it's expensive and I have to have been on every type of anti d before they'll let me try it - though I do know of people here that are on it, but that's another another axe to grind!!)which is supposed to have far less side effects than many of the other types (I especially wanted to try it because it apparently doesn't have the sexual side effects that the others do). If you are buying your own meds it might be worth having a google and seeing what you think about it. xx

Thats an interesting new product. I am sick of the side effects of my AD which is an SSRI. It doesn't look like we will be getting it in the UK for a while though :(

Hugs

Ram

xx

sorry, and i have tried to resist, but i have to say it - self prescribing is a big no no, buying drugs off internet (however safe u think they look and counterfeiters are v v good) is not a good idea... and u need to be monitored properly by med professional if u are taking meds...

i understand from yuor previous thread how frustrated you are with the system, but surely there is somethnig else you must be able to do before yuo resort to this "russian roulette" solution...

sorry for appearing a stuck up interferring opinionated cow, but ima only saying it all cos i care... and i also dont want other people who's sources of internet medicine are not as safe as you think yours is, following your lead...

i kno i am prolly gonna regret posting this but ima gonna anyway...

Each person is different, Might sound like a daft question but, are u needing anti-d's purely for depression or for c0-existing dx's too?....I ask coz i was put on anti-d's for OCD, but have also been on them for depression.

XxX

sorry, and i have tried to resist, but i have to say it - self prescribing is a big no no, buying drugs off internet (however safe u think they look and counterfeiters are v v good) is not a good idea... and u need to be monitored properly by med professional if u are taking meds...

i understand from yuor previous thread how frustrated you are with the system, but surely there is somethnig else you must be able to do before yuo resort to this "russian roulette" solution...

sorry for appearing a stuck up interferring opinionated cow, but ima only saying it all cos i care... and i also dont want other people who's sources of internet medicine are not as safe as you think yours is, following your lead...

i kno i am prolly gonna regret posting this but ima gonna anyway...

Gee, you sound like my mother. Just kidding. I know you care what happens to me but don't worry, i'm gonna use money from my savings to pay to go see a doctor. But i'm still gonna have to keep the visits and any tests he or she may want to do down so i can afford to buy the meds. I don't know if most people actually know how much it costs to be under the care of a doctor for mental health issues. It's a lot of money but since we don't pay for it with our own money, we think it's free. It's not. And it won't be for me. It's coming out of my pocket. But don't ever stop telling me what's on your mind. I don't mind.

although my doc visists here are free, i pay for my prescriptions and i pay for my t... i have had to make sacrifices in my life to afford this... so i kinda get a lil what u mean... thank god my mum feeds me weekends...

i am glad u are seeing doc... and i hope that you get a good one esp cos you are paying... let me kno how u get on

thanks for not shoutin at me for saying what i said though...

jus realised, in one thread we are doctor and nurse - in this one we are mother and son... boy we have a wierd relationship !!!

xxx

Archived