Mental Health Forums

Anxiety Going Throught The Roof

walker

i know this is a dull topic for this place

and i know no one can help

but my anxiety is going through the roof

i have even joind an anxiety forum - but reading anything on there is making me ten times worse

i feel like my whole life is going to end in one great terrifying panic

my head is full of hundreds of scenarious - it keeps telling me all the times i might have to be somewhere i feel i cant get out of -

it is terrifying me

my whole body is siezing up

i KNOW its my mind doing this

but i cant stop crying

and hub just does not hav a clue he makes things worse

Walker - I feel concern for what you are going through. Has anything changed recently in your life such as your medication that may be causing the extra anxiety? I have recently had a dosage reduction in my antipsychotic medication and I have been having some extra anxiety due to withdrawl. Just a thought. Take care.

Relaxing can be difficult for many people, but it is something you can learn.

There are certainly plenty of free relaxation mp3s online, or even better if you have a piece of music that you know helps you relax it can help you no end.

I find enya to be particularly soothing.

The fact that it is in your mind, as you know, offers us another way to reduce your anxiety: by distracting your mind with other tasks. Crosswords and sudoku and other similar mental challenges which are not stressful for you are a great way to engrosse your mind. It can keep you so occupied that you can find yourself lifting your head from the task and realising an hour has passed without any stress or worry.

Also something which works well is light exercise; like going for a walk up the street. I find hiking trips are a great way to expend energy which will otherwise just build up inside you.

These are just some of many possible ways out there to help you and it might not be that you notice a difference straight away, it may take some time, but as you focus your mind on positive experiences you can begin to notice that you are improving already.

I hope this can be of some help to you.

Good luck

ty for replying

i have refused meds since coming off venlafaxine in 2008, but i do now take diazepam and propranolol when things are bad

i think my mh probs seem to manifest themselves in dif ways at dif times

sometimes its the blackest depression

atm it is intense anxiety

ys i play sudoku compulsively and solitaire, and watch films and play piano, and walk the dog when there are no gales !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my daughter gets terribly stressed - and her main coping mechanism seems to be offloading onto me

i am always there for her

but it triggers me badly and i think this is certainly making things worse atm

that and being too damn pathetic to make the major changes to my life that i know i should

am just about managing to tell the thoughts in my head to shut up and leave me alone - but it is exhausting as they are intruding endlessly

that and being too damn pathetic to make the major changes to my life that i know i should

am just about managing to tell the thoughts in my head to shut up and leave me alone - but it is exhausting as they are intruding endlessly

You shouldn't be so self depricating, no wonder you're having a hard time at the moment. Anyone would if they were saying things like that to themselves.

The negative voice inside your head is a habit you have gotten into. The problem is habits make us feel secure and comfortable, they release endorphins in the brain.

The reasoning goes like this. You have survived up until now, so your brain assumes that the behaviours you are engaging in are obviously working to keep you alive. The behviours that you perform more often, like the negative inner voice, are incorrectly assessed to be the most useful and important to your survival. As such your brain wants to keep these behaviours, these habits and to do so it releases endorphins. While a negative inner voice is a horrible thing to have, it helps you feel secure and safe. Things said against your negative inner beliefs likely seem wrong, or make you feel angry to think about.

My guess is that someone in your childhood was particularly hard on you, but they were someone quite important to you. As close emotional attachements when you are a child alway are, this represented some form of safety from the outside world. But when they were not around being critical of you, you would mimic that behaviour inwardly to remind you of that feeling of safety.

A negative inner voice is often the result of an overly critical parent, or one who in some way or another makes you feel as if you are not living up to expectations.

To think negatively of yourself is a habit like any other, from smoking to picking your nose to the way you wash the dishes. We become in some way addicted to our habits, because they are woking to keep us alive. Unfortunately like a phobia of birds or spiders this is an irrational judgement of our brain.

Most importantly though, like any other habit you can train yourself out of it. I know it is difficult. I know it will take time, but you can do it.

You need to change the content or structure of your thoughts. Would your negative inner voice be quite so debilitating if it were the voice of goofy, or mickey mouse?

Next time you have a negative thought about yourself you can ask yourself, 'who is saying that? whose voice is that?' and you can also change that voice. Repeat it in a stupid or rediculous sounding voice and allow yourself to laugh at how silly it now sounds. NLP practitioners claim that this can reduce the emotional impact of the statement.

Further more you can try affirmations, and one of my favourites 'the three gifts.'

Affirmations are postive statements about yourself stated in the positive. Such as "I am a wonderful person." As opposed to "don't feel bad." In order to understand the latter you must feel a little bad for it to make sense, so avoid those kinds of negatives. (Don't think of a tree.....what are you thinking of?)

Three gifts is an excellent way to help you feel good. At teh end of every day, when your in bed ready to go to sleep just think to yourself. What are three good things that I have done for myself today? - "I played the piano. I cleared up the living room, which made me feel good".....etc and then thank yourself for doing those things. Literally thank yourself inside your head.

The more you do this, the more it will become a habit of thought. You will find these habits beginning to replace the old negative ones. Over time this will build up until you won't even recognise or understand why you had been saying those negative phrases in the past. You will look back on those thoughts and realise how much you are improving.

I hope this can help

who are you?

ed. sorry just panicked - i get scared when new people who dont know me write loads

i see sense in much of what you say

and im sorry if my reply offended you

am feeling very alone in all of this

who are you?

ed. sorry just panicked - i get scared when new people who dont know me write loads

i see sense in much of what you say

and im sorry if my reply offended you

am feeling very alone in all of this

no worries, i don't get offended easily

i just joined recently looking for some advice and thought i might be able to offer some advice to other people in return.

i've had a history of clinical depression, a few anxiety attacks which i was in a particularly bad place, and i'm an nlp practitioner, i'm getting a diploma in cognitive hypnotherapy and i've been studying psychology in my own time for the past five years or so.

so i thought i might be able to give some useful advice

cheers

saul

ty

your advice is v welcome

i am going to resort to wine now

even tho i dont drink normally

wont need much with a bit of diaz in system

i dont feel well

feels like my head is totally betraying me and i am feeling v hopeless and lost right now

i want the world to stop

you'll get through it

be strong

just remember, nothing worth doing is easy

it will take effort on your part to get through this, but the rewards are life changing

just imagine what it would be like in the future to be happy and healthy and all the wonderful things that will allow you to experience

worse been for monts nad montsh

trying to ground

cnat swithc headdoff

no oen to carre nooooo one to know alone millions of poepls and im alone

only doggggg knows cos he sees me up but in my head storm ragign and life willlll need to end cos it cantno stay liek this

hey walker.... did u manage to get any sleep / rest...

((((((((((((((walker)))))))))))))))

hope so, and hope that maybe things are a lil better today...

Love you

Kath xx

ty

hmmm someone text me at 1.50 am and that was it - was terrified it was one of the kids - which it wasnt - then was up head raging till 6

got a couple of hours then had to go out

i was so despt hoping today would feel better but it doesnt - it is worse if anything

and people here just seem to avoid me atm or at least that is how its feeling so sorry if it isnt true

my heads saying all sorts

i will have to see doc trmo cos this is imobilising me - i really think this is it this time

i think i am going mad and i will not find a way back

god help me

well... i for 1 aint avoidin u... and now things are better wit me, ima back more on forum for others again...

((((((((((((walker)))))))))))

jus a thought, dunno if i told u before, sorry if i have, but i use hypnotherapy cd's and they helped me loads... ima recommend one guy to you... glenn harrold... if u google him, and go onto his publishers web... i think is called... o hang on ima get link...

http://www.hypnosisaudio.com/

there u can listen to a few samples of his stuff... v important that u like his voice and tone etc...

may not be your kinda thing, but hey, cant hurt to have a lookie...

don't order off web site tho - if u look at amazon or play they sometimes have them on offer... cheaper :)

i use "deep sleep every night" pretty regularly and i have about 6 others that i dip into from time to time...

love to you...

Kath xx

to the few people who tried to help me - thankyou

thankyou also to gingernut for taking the time and trouble to hear me out

i am just about managing to silence the thoughts but they are still coming thick and fast

perhaps i should hav put this in crisis - as i hav not felt so ill in many weeks

but then again what does it matter

sorry my pain is not exciting or controversial - i will continue to live in my own hell

how you are feeling does matter walker...i'm sorry you are having a bad time of it.

i know your stronger than you think you are,hopefully with time things will get a bit easier.

xxx

I just became aware of the fact I might just be somebody that has borderline. Anxiety is in my mind a lot of times as well. I just dont know how to react to all these feelings at once. My girl just told me I have to leave 'cause she has her own to think of which I do understand. She helped me heaps by getting concious & aware about my behaviour. What is it exactly to have borderline? I am trying to understand this question. Watched a couple of youtube films that described it. I broke down in tears 'cause in many ways I recognized myself.

managed to tell hub some of the mess head is in - he seems to have sort of heard although he says its crazy!!

he says its like the stuff i have said before about my head telling me things - i guess it is its just different things - this time causing anxiety over self hatred but sort of all rolled up into one

hmmmm crazy, yes

(banana07 - there is lots of info on borderline pd in a different part of the forum - 'personality disorders')

Archived