Mental Health Forums

Zopiclone Addiction

Russell

I have been on Zopiclone (every night) for quite some time now and it will be the fourth time I am trying to come off the evil stuff. In true "Russell fashion" I have decided to stop my dose straight away (no tapering off) I know thats contradictory to advice but it has worked for me in the past when I have needed to come off it.

I didnt get any sleep at all last night, I just had the same thought going around and around in my head and unable to break the cycle. I know the first few days are the worst and Im willing to go the distance on this one (Im a stubborn twit)

Has anyone else gone through this and is there any natural alternative?

Hi, I was on this but switched to Zolpidem for long term use. I have not tried to come off it yet but years ago before I was on sleepers I used Kalms with some effect. They do a standard and a herbal version and it's available over the counter xxxxx

i came off zopiclone too a few months ago, cos like you i was determined not to rely on them. some nights i sleep ok, but others i dont sleep at all.

i havnt got any advise, just wanted to say i know what your going through xx

• 1 month later...

I have been on Zopiclone (every night) for quite some time now and it will be the fourth time I am trying to come off the evil stuff. In true "Russell fashion" I have decided to stop my dose straight away (no tapering off) I know thats contradictory to advice but it has worked for me in the past when I have needed to come off it.

I didnt get any sleep at all last night, I just had the same thought going around and around in my head and unable to break the cycle. I know the first few days are the worst and Im willing to go the distance on this one (Im a stubborn twit)

Has anyone else gone through this and is there any natural alternative?

Battle Against Tranquilisers

Are brilliant for support with coming off z-drugs and tranquilisers.

They hae a phoneline open 7 days a week. Its open till 8pm - I have personal experience of speaking to Una corbett,the co-ordinator. If she dosent answer, leave a message, she will get back to you quckly. Or you can email her.BAT is the only organisation of its kind in the UK.

The thing with Z drugs, is that you get interdose withdrawals, as they only have a two hour half life.

ps as an ex sleeper addict and current valium addict, I would advise against any substance that acts on the GABA receptors. This is because when coming off z-drugs and tranx (gaba acting drugs) further gaba substances will delay recovery.

Also, when tapering, its better to go too slow than too fast. A gradual crossover to valium is recommended (equivalent dose of what you are curently taking in the zoppys) this way, you dont get the interdose withdrawals, as valium is longer acting, and you can do a smoother taper off them.

Coming off these sorts of drugs too quick just prolongs the withdrawal symptoms as the GABA recetors are not getting chance to heal.

Talk to, or email Una, from BAT, she is great. She has been working with z-drug and tranx users since 1984, and she knows her stuff, and is very knowledgeable and friendly.

Archived