Mental Health Forums

Both Getting Somewhere

Data

I have an assessment for NHS therapy on Friday next week. Hopefully I might be able to get some group stuff out of them.

I went with my wife to the GP today. He has signed her off work indefinitely. He is making an urgent referral to the CMHT for her. This will be the first contact she has had with 'secondary' mental health services for nearly 17 years.

Now, at my wife's request, I am going to ring her father and explain what is up with his daughter.

I think I handled it well. (Waits for gasps of amazement... data handled something well, lol).

I let her speak, and interrupted only when absolutely necessary. For example she was talking about work but didn't explain she only works on a Sunday.

The doctor asked me if I was concerned. I said that... it is a real concern when someone putting a leaflet in my son's school bag about autism causes her to have just 2 hours sleep and be up all night, lying next to me, sobbing :(. It is also a concern when she is staring out of the window looking at passers-by, wondering if they have been sent by social services to take our children away.

Sarah is unhappy that he put 'referral to CMHT' on her sick note. She is now going to have to stay off work until she has been seen by the psychiatrist. She didn't want her work to know. However, my main concern is the mental health of our family as a whole.

Anyway, at the moment life feels like a constant struggle and its a relief to know that at last we might be getting more help.

i hope that as it's an emergency referral they'll see her within a couple of days rather than a couple o weeks / months. seriously. but once she's had the initial assessment it might be a few more weeks before she can see a psych. i just hpoe they see how urgent it is and can help her.

I'm so proud of you all, this sounds like real positive stuff for both of you and therefore for your family. I'm really glad that you managed to sort out childcare to be with your wife. I hope that they see you within a couple of days and I hope that you are all OK and that it went well with her Dad. xxx

Hi data

You did well, now i hope its a step forward for you and family. Emergency appointment could take days or weeks, depends on list and how bz. I would arrange that you go the pdoc with her if u can, but he or she may want to assess before any input from you.

The sick note can be put down as anything, depression, to other things, thats the docs descression. My doc never put down anything that would harm my situation.

About your family as a whole, both with mental probs, its a hard struggle. I have a mental prob, my hub has i don't know half of one, who can say, he has issues. The thing is we compliment each other is some ways and some ways we don't. He knows he will have to help with physical and mental and i will help him.Not sure where u both went wrong,most inportant thing is pick up pieces and do the ebst for your kids. For me i am stronger and have rethought my life due to having children, and she will allways come first regardless, saying that up to a point.I would starve, go with out, phone up social services if or have done wrong, give up drinking, smoking, all sorts of things. However my life is not hers or mine. All u can do is work, progress, work with what you have. I have come along way wiht my daughter. Long way with my husband. We both do what is needed,wanting to,learning and all sorts of things.

So anyway wont give lecture. Good luck and going to the doctors you did good.

yay data, well done :) I'm proud of your wife for facing up to her problems and proud of you for helping her to get there

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wow Data!

I didn't notice this untill now. This is fantastic news :D

I told you, you were concentrating to much on the negative possibilities of this situation, rather then just waiting to see what happened, and the outcome is great. I'm very proud of you for handling it well and you should be proud of your wife for taking that first step :)

You both have your feet in the door now and i hope this will be the start of something good for you and your families well being. It's not going to be all plain sailing as you know. But stick with it the best you can. You are a lot stronger then you give yourself credit for.

Aurora :)

Thanks for the support, folks :).

I had a look at what therapy they do, and have highlighted the ones that interest me the most. I am going to ask them if I can just go to one group a week, that way it won't interfere with my work.

• relaxation
  • anxiety management
  • assertion
  • art therapy
  • women's group
  • change group
  • hearing voices group
  • anger group
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

I have advised my wife to ring up the medical secretary next week about her referral since she is anxious about how long it will take. She is off work until she sees the pdoc.

Archived