Mental Health Forums

A Not-Quite Newbie

Mariposa

Hi all!

It's funny to think I'm addressing a bunch of people I don't know because if I was doing this in person I'd be mortified and have nothing to say other than "hi"! I haven't been diagnosed but I have many symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder and I know I suffer from Social Phobia too. In fact, tonight I'm home alone because I cancelled plans to go for a meal with my partner at her friends' house. I was thinking all day of how I would have nothing to say, that I wouldn't be able to relax and just enjoy myself. Especially doesn't help being a teetotaller. I've often thought that getting drunk might solve all my problems!

Anyway, hello again!

M.

Welcome back Mariposa, being a teetotaller is a positive not a negative, it might help you feel different at the time, but it makes you realise when you sober up, quite what an arse you have been last night - take it from one who knows ;)

Sorry you need to be here, but glad you came back anyway xx

Thanks DaisyChain and Roses. I know not drinking is the best way but when you see how it helps other people loosen up and be themselves you can't help but wonder. I would prefer to find another way of getting over this, starting perhaps with finding out who I am and then letting her out!

Hi mariposa,

Welcome back. I suffer with quite bad social anxiety too, in fact if i was to concentrate on the thought of being in a room with a few strangers in it and a dinner party going on, i'd have a panic attack.

I can be social one on one, or with friends who know me and my anxiety, but otherwise i just clam up- thence my social life is nil.

So i understand what youre going thru there, and its really horrible.

Welcome back to the site anyway, - i don't drink either, i stopped enjoying getting pissed years ago- no idea why. (Not that i didnt mess with 'substances' after- totally regret it and not recommended.)

I really hope that you can find 'who you are'- wish i knew, but this forum has helped me a lot , hope it does for you too.

Best wishes

anne marie

Archived