Mental Health Forums

Online Cbt

saskia

I had read somewhere that the NHS can offer free online CBT with a GP referral but when I asked my doc for it, she had no idea. Eventually, she checked it out and found it was possible through Mind. So now I'm waiting for my initial consultation in 3 weeks. It's worth persuing with your doc. Now I'm just curious to know what to expect and if it can actually help me...

B)

I have heard of this but don't really know much about it. The gp would refer me but its not on the NHS in my area yet. I would be interested to know how it work and if its effective.

I have a leaflet for computerised CBT

The websites mentioned are:-

www.moodgym.anu.edu.au

www.livinglifetothefull.com

www.kpchr.org/feelbetter/

I havn't used them myself, so not sure wht they are like.

Aurora :)

I've done the Beating the Blues CCBT through Mind. It is good but only if you have mild to moderate problems (even the moderate is a bit of a stretch). Because it lacks the human counsellors ability to be truly flexible the help it gives can't really be compared to that of normal CBT (i.e. human to human).

Having said that I do feel it is a good interim measure and will be sufficient help for many sufferers.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my initial meeting with Mind today.

Was told my case is too 'risky' for a self-help programme and need more support.

So, guess what? Been referred back to GP..

I'm back to sqaure one again guys!!

I'm not sure what's going on... Actually I'm pretty scared of being carted away by the men in white coats right now. A GP I've never even met called me about 10 minutes ago to see if I was 'alright'. He said he had heard from Mind that I have recurring thoughts about suicide and self-harm and he could call me an ambulance if I wanted. WTF? I tried to explain that yes, I have these thoughts and that's why I'm looking for help to deal with them. He said he'll refer me for a psychiatric assessment in the next few weeks.

I went to the docs last summer cos I was feeling suicidal - they sent me for an assessment and never followed up on it..

I'm worried that telling the truth about how I feel will get me sectioned or something... can they do this?

I think it is great that you are trying to seek help and try and keep on at them so that something does come of it. I think you are very brave in telling the truth it took me along time to admit the thoughts I was having and I think it is the right thing for you to do. They need to know how things are so they can make sure you get the help.

I've never been sectioned but I have been close a few times. I don't know if they were just threats or they were meant. This last time I was threatened it was cos I had gone off my meds and they said if I didn't go back on them I would be hospitalised.

Are you on any meds?

I'm taking fluoxetine and it has helped a bit.

I've been seeking help for years and have only been taken seriously this year, so I feel very reluctant to speak to anyone. That's why the online CBT was so appealing.

Anyway, I guess I'll just stick out another psychiatric assessment - hopefully they'll listen to me this time.

Thanks for your support Shadow x

I have always found it difficult to speak to people and I actually got refered to do art therapy. I wasn't to sure at first but I went in with an open mind and it was the first time I admitted I sh. You don't have to be good at art or able to draw well. It helped me to say how I was feeling and when I couldn't I just scribbled and it came out subconsciously. It was a very strange experience the way it did come out and if I was struggling to talk it gave me something to focus on so the pressure wasn't all on me having to talk. It might be an idea that could help.

I hope you do find the help you are looking for and if you ever wanna chat you can pm me anytime. :)

Archived