Mental Health Forums

Look What I Found!

Katherine

I found this post on the BBC website.....

"My daughter was born at 26 weeks in 1971. She was absolutely fine with no apparent physical or mental disabilities until adolescence when behavioural problems manifested which were ultimately diagnosed as Borderline Personality Disorder caused by the trauma of her birth and the 'abandonment' situation of having to spend the first three months of her life in the hospital. I wonder how many other premature babies have been or will be diagnosed with BPD? Or whether in fact this probability has even been taken into account?"

I was born at 30 weeks in 1970, I weighed 2 pounds 13 ounces...

It was also the 'abandonment' for me that caused *all this* (plus other stuff..)

Though unlike the girl above, I had anxiety and depression all through my childhood.

I am very interested in reseaching this aspect...

karie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I was born 3months premature at 2lbs 2oz but I don't remember/feel any abandonment, and I have a very close relationship with my parents. I'm clingy though and was as a child- does anyone else experience this? THen again I am an only child.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasnt a premmie either.

I'm clingy though and was as a child- does anyone else experience this?

Yep I too have a pretty good relationship with my parents and yep I am clingy as well. Im not an only child though Im the eldest of 3.

I was born 3 weeks late...geuss I knew what was coming! But my parents divorced when I was 2 and I felt abandoned by my father...something that my mother emphasised for myself and my sister throughout our childhood. My mother held on tightly to me, so that she had something left from the marriage I guess, and that's caused me problems.

I was premature (3weeks) and 4lbs. Abadonment most defanatly because i was born with problems and was in specal care baby unit for the first 3 months of my life in an incubator.

I was full term, but I was a small baby weighing only five pounds six ounces...

My parens (mum mainly) was about but i dont think they could hold me or anthing

really interesting i as born at 26 weeks and was told i shouldnt have lived a lot

also had problems when 6 months old and nearly died also deaf mother

I was born with jaundice, but apparently that's normal!

Not premature, but was separated constantly from birth for months/up to a year at a time until about aged 15 & my mother as self-harming whilst pregnant with me WHAT A GREAT START!!!!

• 1 month later...

I was born spot on my due date at 6lbs something. Not long after my birth i started choking on mucus or something and nearly copped it. I was a "nightmare" baby according to my mum, really really clingy and wouldn't go to anyone else. I was her 3rd (of 4) and i nearly pushed her over the edge. Apparently i was a strange child too. Some things never change!!!

I was 5 days late and my mum never forgave me because she was such a big Elvis fan. I was due the same day as Lisa Marie Presley, she was on time I didn't want to come out :lol:

On a more serious note I was passed from one person to another while growing up so felt abandoned by my mum. Have never met my dad. I phoned him 3 years ago but he pretended he'd never heard of me.

Rejection and abandoned feelings... perhaps there is a link?

mort x

URICA? THATS NOT HOW YOU SPELL THAT IS IT?

SPOT ON..THOUGH..

I WAS 3 MONTHS PREM..

NOT EXPECTED TO LIVE..

TREATED BADLY BECAUSE I DARE SURVIVE..AND I WAS UNWANTED..

BUT IM NO LONGER BITTER...ALTHOUGH I CAN BE BRUTAL WHEN IM LAUGHED AT.

I READ THE REPLYS AND REALLY UNDERSTAND THE PAIN..

THAT REALLY HIT A CORD..

ABANDONMENT?

WELL DONE

Archived