Mental Health Forums

A Question

blacklover

I'M TIRED OF THIS!

I'm tired of my mood-swings... They change way too fast!

I can't even get used to them

But that's not the point...

Someone said that I have the lower kind of BPD..

My question is.. Are there more that one kind?

Hi Nickz,

I understand your frustration with the mood swings, they are a complete nightmare aren't they! Sometimes people with BPD are referred to as high functioning and low functioning, I believe this relates to how well you cope with day to day life, ie:- some people with BPD are able to hold down jobs and lead, what would appear to be, fairly unchaotic lives - this would be high functioning BPD and people who aren't as able to 'appear' to live as successfully are considered to be low functioning. I'm not sure if this is what the person who told you that you have the lower kind of BPD meant but I hope this helps.

Take care x

I was told that people with high functioning BPD are more likely to take their problems out on others and people with low functioning BPD are more likely to take their problems out on themselves. Now I'm confused?

A few of my partners said I have so many personalities, my personality change with my mood, and it is instant.

I've got used to it, never to be honest thought there was anything not normal about it, if you are angry you are person 1, if you are sad person 2. Everybody has different facets depending on their mood.

I guess it is just how quick that mood changes. I would say I am on the low scale with regards BPD, mine only affects my emotional relationships, no other part of my life is affected by it. I have never sh and wouldn't. My BPD affects others.

I think like anything there are degrees, as with depression, you can have mild depression, severe depression.

Someone said that I have the lower kind of BPD..

My question is.. Are there more that one kind?

There are many different 'kinds' of BPD. Some people's main difficulties are with relationships, with others it is mood swings, others its addictions. They all share some common features.

Also, like any other problem, some people's BPD is more severe than others.

Ooops I am a high functioning BPD sufferer, not low.

I have a neat link on my other PC, but as yet can't get the USB dongle to connect, so pah. Link when able.

Thanks everyone..

Dawn..

i read the article.

Now I'm confused :S

it says... "High-functioning borderlines act perfectly normal most of the time. Successful, outgoing, and well-liked, they may show their other side only to people they know very well. Although these borderlines may feel the same way inside as their less-functional counterparts, they have covered it up very well-so well, in fact, that they may be strangers into themselves...

Indicators of low functioning BPD: cutting and other self mutilation, excessive risk taking, which may include numerous and near fatal traffic accidents, extreme addictions, and sex addiction, heavy duty involvement with psychiatric institutions and frequent hospitalization, successive non completed suicide attempts, inability to maintain employment, extreme instability in personal relationships..[and it goes on..]"

I'm more like the "highs".. even though I s/h, tried to suicide a few times and sometimes i can't hide my mood-swings.

But if you ask to my related.. just like 3 know about my BPD.

So, why they keep telling me i have Low functioning BPD?... -.-'

I am definately high functioning, unless you were my other half, you would not know there was anything wrong with me.

One thing missing here where is the spell check?

Ok so high functioning does not mean more anger issues and low functioning does not mean more harm towards self? Why would my psych tell me those definitions if they are false?

I think what they are trying to define here is how obvious it is that one has BPD. While from what it sounds like, both diagnosis are feeling the same thing, but High Functioning people have the ability to hold it inside themselves, whereas low will do other things to deal with it that would be obvious to others, eg self mutilation. All just a matter of coping mechanisms I guess. (I can't really see the advantage of giving these two separate names, it's still essentially the same problem.)

To be honest I found it a bit confusing cause my psych said I was 'high functioning' but I only work on and off and only when I can cope and I also self harm, I think it just gives an indication, but it does say that both types overlap.... ah well, it's all 'BPD' when all's said and done. Let's not even get into the European 'Emotionally unstable personality disorder' definitions of 'borderline' and 'impulsive' types! I don't really think the professionals know the differences sometimes. xx

To be honest I found it a bit confusing cause my psych said I was 'high functioning' but I only work on and off and only when I can cope and I also self harm, I think it just gives an indication, but it does say that both types overlap.... ah well, it's all 'BPD' when all's said and done. Let's not even get into the European 'Emotionally unstable personality disorder' definitions of 'borderline' and 'impulsive' types! I don't really think the professionals know the differences sometimes. xx

More trouble then it's all worth, at the end of the day you're you, and I'm me :P

Archived