Mental Health Forums

Good Things To Say To Someone Who Is Depressed

Lauren

"You're not alone in this"

"I'm not going to abandon you"

"Do you want a hug?"

"It will pass, we can ride it out together."

"When all this is over, I'll still be here, and so will you."

"If the human brain were simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it." - a codeveloper of Prozac, quoted from "Listening to Prozac"

"You have so many extraordinary gifts--how can you expect to live an ordinary life?" - from the movie "Little Women" (Marmee to Jo)

"I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I am not going to leave you. I am going to take care of myself so you don't need to worry that your pain might hurt me."

"I listen to you talk about it, and I can't imagine what it's like for you. I just can't imagine how hard it must be."

Feel free to add more.....

Little Women, especially Jo, is such a perfect book and she is just such a perfect character - my favourite of all besides Maria in 'The little White Horse' when I was little.

I thought I would be Jo and make a living as a writer. Funny how things turn out - I can imagine her as a lawyer :)

Things to say......

*i feel the power of your depression and how its looming over you

*are you safe?

*how might i begin to help? any idea's?

*what has worked in the past?

*maybe we can get thru this together

*your not alone

*we can do this

*only look at the moment and lets get thru it

*I am here

"What do you need right now?"

Once when I was in crisis and spoke to my therapist on the phone, she asked me that, and it was enough to hear her voice, that was all I needed.

karie

I am with you Tracey, my parents love me, but I want someone to love me as a person, friend and partner. As I read the list I thought I have never had any of these said to me, the usual is 'Pull yourself together!'.

I think the nicest thing would be for someone special just to hold me - of course this is probably just a fantasy.

The main thing in supporting someone who is depressed I agree is to make them see 100% that they arent alone and most importantly they are valued by yourself or someone.

I have a mate who shows signs of depression. These are some of the things I tell him

"You have so many qualities about you"

"Your a great person"

"Dont worry about anyone else, Look after Number 1, thats you"

"Life is what you make it, your in a hole but you can dig out of this"

Archived