Mental Health Forums

Gestalt In Pictures

Lauren

I have got to try this, I will come back later and edit if I figure out later what I'm trying to convey.

Gestalt is actual cognitive articulation. It goes back, research, research, research over a hundred years of finding out how people organize stimuli. It's in architecture, art, logic, emotion, our life games and scripts, it's all there is and is simple to see if you learn how to look.

It's about form, how we shape existence, perceptually, and perception is unique, sure, but we are similar in how we do that, like this, from a textbook on psychology, I'll try to copy it:

What is this?

?

A question mark. OK, now what's this?

??????

Did you say, question mark, question mark, question mark, question mark, question mark, question mark? Or did you see a row of question marks?

What is a row? It's a configuration. You just did gestalt.

Now, draw a circle, leave an eighth of it unfinished, and look at it later, or show it to your husband. Ask, what is this? Most peoplw will see a circle, but it's not, it's a line, an unfinished line that goes around and is incomplete. Our tendency to see a circle though is what we do, we finish things, organize them in similar ways, though we are often mistaken in what we perceive, we are alike in this mistaken perception.

Gestalt is about getting this, and seeing things as they are.

This made me think of the way that 99% of people read what they expect to see rather than what is actually printed on the page

Don't know if it's connected but I know that it's being researched at the moment by neurologists (I think)

Archived