Mental Health Forums

Off-Record Treatment ?

darkprincess

basically im depressed and sinking back into annorexia for a number of resons and i want to get help treatment but it has to be off the record including any therapy or medication. how do i get around it. any ideas

Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask why you want treatment "off the record" ? Is it because you are concerned it might affect your employment ?

unless your work are paying for your treatment then they only find out if YOU tell them.

however, is hould point out that if you tell them you're most likely covered by the DDA and if you dont, you aren't

why do you not want them to know?

having depression does NOT make you medically unfit to work. if you dont get the treatment it's likely to get worse. see your gp and talk about it. they dont have to pass on any information you dont want them to

i doubt your gp will let you register under a false name - mine required proof of id.

look, the best thing to do if you are unwell is to ask for help. having depression does NOT make you medically unfit to work!

OK so where are you in the world? If you are in the UK having a history of mental illness does not mean you can't work with children. I got my CRB check and am ay OK to work with kids and I currently volunteer at my kids school. It is against the law to discriminate in the UK against mental illness.

I agree with Nutella please see your GP or if you don't feel able you could contact MIND for some impartial advice first. Or perhaps contact OFSTED For some information on any implications of mh and working with children?? They would be able to put your mind at rest and enable you to see your GP with confidence xxx

anywhere i could talk to a theripist online now? preverably not one wanting credit card details?

The problem is that the rules here prohibit us from advertising other sites and products.

I suggest you use the 'Submit a Ticket' button at the top of the page. Ask for advice there.

You can ask for 'Emotional advice and support'. Its under the 'Email Us!' section. One of the staff or volunteers here will read your question and provide a response.

I live in Scotland too and am certain that medical providers can only inform your place of employment if you are a risk to yourself or others. The fact that you are asking for help shows that you have insight into your condition which is the number one indicator- it gets tricky if things get to the point where you are detained under the mental health act, but asking for help would indicate that this is unlikely (plus the fact that you live in Scotland- being sectioned for an eating disorder is rare due to the lack of resources).

If you aren't comfortable contacting your GP, google "BEAT", the eating disorders association- they have a list of private councillors as well as support groups.

It sounds like self-help books books and counselling may be a bit redundant at this point; if you haven't tried these, I would strongly recommend them, they are my first port of call, even talking to a number of different people about the same problem can be good for you to see your issues objectively, or at least distance yourself and feel more secure in relation to it. Try and picture all positive and negative energies as things that flow through you rather than things that ARE you, or that take you over. You can channel your emotions and take control when you have the right tools. Turn to friends and family, anyone you can lean on, take people up on the offer when they say they are there for you, no matter who they are. There is no shame in asking for professional help. It is a very brave, strong step to admit these issues and decide to start to work on them, and anyone in their right mind will admire you for it. It would do you and the press for mental health issues the world of good to address it as soon as possible, in whatever means accessible to you. Please try any routes you haven't considered yet; self-help, counselling, private or NHS funded, support groups, make contact with an 'other' who shares similar problems that you can share your journey with, pick someone you know and trust to serve as a mentor, to check in with you and give you a bit of inspiration every now and then, and who can trigger thoughts within your own mind about how to motivate yourself. This is a fight we have to undergo ultimately alone, but we have lots of people in our crowd.

Archived