Mental Health Forums

'getting Out Of The Tunnel'

gothicangel

I don't agree with some of it, other bits seem good advice. I think this list is easy to look at and make in hindsight, not so easy to follow when in the " thick of it" so to speak. And the have a bath reccomendation???? I never want to hear that again! It is kind of condescending.

Yeah, I, too, think this list is fine as hindsight. It wouldn't have helped me much when I was at the height of my illness. I think it could also have made me rebellious and put off trying any of the good advice longer. The other day, after I posted my "more and more stable" post, someone asked me how, and when I told him that after much meditation, I can now choose to behave in more stable ways, he got a bit offended and thought I was judging him, that i was implying that he was choosing to be unstable. That's not what I meant at all--and I think this article has a similar triggering potential as my words to my friend had. At times, i felt it was telling us to "stop doing that!" when if we COULD stop doing that, we would have long ago!

On the other hand, the article does give hope that BPD is NOT forever. We can escape "the tunnel". I believe our escape is as individualized as our illness. There is no formula for recovery. DBT, social support, and spirituality are my preferred concoction...everyone's is different. I couldn't have done it outside my relationship. And cannabis does not make me psychotic, it is highly medicinal for me. To each their own.

love,

cat

Archived