Mental Health Forums

I Love Valium

bored-a-line

hi, while i was in thailand, i discovered that valium was available over the counter. i tried it and i slept the best sleep i've had for years maybe. i woke up and felt amazing.

i thought..this is amazing, why shouldnt i take it every day..be a sleep worshipper. whats wrong with that? i'd work during the day, i'd just stop wasting my time getting depressed during my free time and sleep really good sleep instead.

isnt it better being asleep than being awake and depressed/anxious?

dyou think i have a case to get it on prescription?..because it really helps to ease my constant aimless anxiety.

Have you ever met a chronic valium addict?

There are lots of them about - GP's hand it out like sweeties in little bottles marked 'take two a day'. Patient, being obedient, does so, finds it's working for about 3 months and then it's not quite so useful.

GP ups the dose, patient goes away happy, but with underlying problem still unsolved.

30 years later, with all internal organs completely ruined, looking 30 years older than her age and unable to walk unaided, the NHS quietly checks her into a plush private hospital so that she doesn't go and make a fuss to anyone.

She's very comfortable, even though she sticks out like a sore thumb, and she's never going to get her health back, but hey, who cares, cause they've given her a few weeks of the high life, chucked her some cash and everyone still thinks Valium is cool

The above is just a fable, call it a generic story, what you will

but look about you at all the broken old people in this world and remember that they were also young enough to make mistakes and not realise the cost, and some of them aren't even paying for their own mistakes.

It's your call hon, but with my Valium (on prescription) I ignore what it says on the label and only take it when I really, really need it, and NEVER to help me sleep.

Hope this helps

Love

only problem is it is highly addictive,the more you use it the more you need to use it and it goes on and on,I was given sleeping tablets a couple of years ago,absolute bliss,finally I could sleep but after a while I had to have the dose increased now I can take 100mg temazapan and still waken four hours later,worse still coming off them is hard bloody work.Just be careful,they are only a short term answer to sleeping problems.

patricia

thanks for the advice guys

..swan..i dont think my "underlying problem" can be solved..thats why i want to choose sleep over anxiety and depression.

btw what did your doctor prescribe valium to you for if not for sleep?

it used to be commonly prescribed for anxiety,less so now,if you are bpd they are less likely to prescribe it cos we are considered more likely to get addicted and abuse it.

patricia

Valium i.e. DIAZEPAM is a good drug for short term use. It does not mess with the internal organs. It does not cause premature aging. Smoking does these things.

It can be used as a hypnotic i.e. sleep aid, but usually the shorter acting TEMAZEPAM is prescribed. For severe agitation LORAZEPAM is commonly used in hospital, as it has a faster onset of action.

However the problem with these drugs (BENZODIAZEPINES) is that with prolonged use a tolerance develops, a bit like the tolerance for alcohol a regular drinker develops. So over time you need higher and higher doses to get the same good nights sleep or relief from anxiety.

Also, when the drug is wearing off and leaving your system, you can get a rebound anxiety which may be worse than the original anxiety you experienced, so you want the drug again to get rid of the bad feelings.

The best way to take Diazepam then is maybe once a fortnight (it takes about two weeks to leave your body). But it is better used for e.g. sudden bereavement

I used to take diazepam but it's just like being a mouse in a wheel ie. doesn't get you anywhere. Same with alcohol.

As Paddy says - prescribed, short-term, for anxiety, but, though I'm not going to go to the wire on it, over years it goes through the liver and kidneys and in high enough doses anything will wreck them.

Lots of better sleeping drugs - Zopiclone is one commonly used.

Actually though - Kraaken's signature is the best remedy - lots of exercise.

I also sleep a lot and then have times when I cannot sleep. Very seductive but not going to get you anywhere in life.

If you decide now that your underlying problem is not going to be solved then you are making a choice to stay ill and should see Josh's string on 'I did not . . .'

There is no problem that cannot be solved. You just need to find the right way of looking at it and the right person to help you.

I'm sorry to be so acidic, just don't want to see you waste your time. Write me off as middle aged if you like, but I've lost enough opportunities myself not to like watching others do so.

Sorry

yeah life does feel like one big waste of time sometimes..and im too tired to get acidic about it! good to know there people out there who have the get up and go to do something about their problems and not just go to sleep for 12 hours.

anyway i've only got 9 tablets and im doubtful that my doctor will prescribe me anything for anxiety because im fairly young and he'll probably tell me to go for a run!.

I know the feeling more than I can tell you. I think it may be why I got cross - you remind me a lot of myself when I was making some bad choices and not realising where they'd take me.

Be gentle with yourself - look on the internet for a poem called 'Desiderata' - I've always found it rather lovely as well as a useful reminder of what to aim for when I'm tired, hungry, angry (often) or bored/irritable (often).

Exercise is really good - not just to ease the anxiety but to lift your mood and remind you why life is worth living. Not in the gym - outdoors. I cycle and rock-climb - I like both because you have to focus and concentrate, it's not just mindless (I'm easily bored and hate physical pain so need distraction). I'm told it helps with period problems, although I don't seem too prone to these (Yay! something to be grateful for!)

Anyway, keep talking - we're always here for you, even if a little bit of tetchiness creeps in late at night.

Love

I have BPD, and am on other meds....have tried MANY things for sleeping and hated most of them.....EXCEPT Zyprexa, which seems to work, but I heard it makes you gain MEGA weight, so I gave it up.

Get a load of this, though.....my doc prescribed me Valium as a muscle relaxant for my back!!!! I have some connections in Addictions Services, and they couldn't believe it. It is VERY easily addictive and when you get very addicted, you can actually DIE from the withdrawal....it's like Heroin....not good stuff to mess with. Ativan is another dangerous one, Clonazepam.....I was on both of those for months! The withdrawal was NOT fun at all.

I know how you feel, though.....So often I just want to go to bed because when I'm asleep, nothing matters and I don't have to be in reality. I hate being alone, especially at night, so I figure if something will just knock me out, I'll be better off, because I have SUCH a hard time falling asleep. IT's dangerous. And people tell me that life will just "pass me by" if I just want to sleep all the time....all these moments I'll be missing. I don't know if I believe them yet. But maybe one day.

Please don't get hooked on them! Find something else....not a benzo!!!

Hope you can find ways to relax, and sleep in peace :)

mow

hi yes they are short term use the docter precrised them to me when i was coming off the drink bad idea as i was then addicted to diazapam as well as going back on the bottle and its no picnic trying to come off them ende up in rehab because of them and the booze

It is VERY easily addictive and when you get very addicted, you can actually DIE from the withdrawal....it's like Heroin....not good stuff to mess with. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh my god!

i had no idea..i thought it was a happy little sleeping pill..cos i got hold of it so easily

swan i know from experience that youre right about the outdoor exercise thing..its just im stuck in london with no money..theres no "great outdoors" here..i just got back from indonesia where i was outdoors all the time and im having withrawal now! hence valium.

i'm still looking forward to my next pill despite everything i've read here..i guess theres some lessons you have to learn for yourself. dont worry though i havent got an endless supply.

I have to add something in here, I was just reading this thread and I have before now found myself dependent on diazepam. I really love the stuff, but I knew it would never help me get better. As everyone has said, it's fantastic as a short term drug (bereavement, shock etc...) but it doesn't really go to the root of the problem, and treat the person.

As a personal trainer, I cannot overemphasise how doing physical exercise changes people's lives and keeps me alive too!! My doctor is impressed with me because he says I stave off depression without drugs by exercising. He tells his patients with depression and anxiety to get active but most don't do it. It's being able to heal yourself holistically. Your whole self, inner and outer. Mind and body are completely interconnected. Ask anyone who does massage they'll tell you!

Yes admittedly I still use zopiclone for sleeping, but now only a couple of times a week (not every single night) and diazepam for very occasional extreme moments when I nosedive (hasn't happened in ages). Won't use it unless I am suicidal and that's rare these days.

So get out there and find a class or a running club and go to the parks in London. There's plenty of them!! Running clubs are usually organised into different levels of ability (ie complete beginners, intermediate etc) so no need to be afraid.

What about classes? Yoga? or Pilates? or how about dance classes for adults? Pineapple do loads, even Poledancing, which is supposed to be a really good laugh!

One day I would like to open a centre where people can go for all these things and massage, and counselling, herbalists, reiki, personal training etc... I think people will heal better when they are treated wholly. Just need some money........ :D

Now... where did I put that Lottery ticket?......!

I'm so glad to see what everyone has said here - and continually amazed at the abuse that goes on in the medical profession of valium. They all know how dangerous it is and yet they still use it for every little blip without explaining the dangers.

Bored I'm really glad that you've got the picture - I was really upset by what you wrote, but didn't like to give you the full force of how I felt because you seemed quite seduced by the whole thing. I got addicted to it, although realised and talked to my doctor about it straight away. Started using it again recently, but only when in deep trouble - as at 5.30 this morning when I'd still had no sleep and felt like shit.

Sounds like you already have a problem if you are looking forward to your next pill - go and talk to your dr about it and if he won't help then contact Narcotics Anonymous.

I'm really sorry you are in this situation - as you can see though, you are not alone

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Bored)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

thanks for the advice gang

im working on the exercise thing..everythings just shit right now..i dont want to face anything..im getting lazy. im not that much of a drug addict it just makes me feel safe sometimes.

like i said, noones prescribed me anything addictive so im in no immediate threat of becoming a full blown addict. just wanted know what was so wrong about sleeping off depression and anxiety.

I agree with everyone else. Taking valium without prescription/doctor is and will be eventually a dangerous thing. If you need to find sleep then go to your doc and see if you can be prescribed something else. Typically valium is not prescribed for sleep. Its a short term medication usually used for severe anxiety/panic/agoraphobia type symptoms.

Be careful. Addiction happens fast...

i do regular exercise (running) and it does help a bit but i find the effects wear off quickly, and, it's just not as effective as anti-ds.

massage IS good for your mood. but again, it dont last, and isnt better than anti-ds.

i hate that, but its true for me.

xx

I know the dangers of this bloody stuff but having said that at times its so tempting to fall into the pattern of taking something to blur the edges,I have tried to avoid all benzos recently relying on promazine both to keep me calm and to sleep,I thought that if I didnt go near the stuff for a while when I felt the need to take this as a last resort I would take just one tablet and hey presto I would fall into a good sleep of six hours,well it didnt bloody work at all.

Wednesday night-midnight,just logged off computer,bloody unbelievable racket in kitchen,I was in the house alone and was scared shitless,thinking break in etc,eventually hubbie returned home and found a golf ball lying in kitchen,we decided it was the local thugs messing about,in the past they have kicked back door open and tried to put a lit firework through letterbox,being a sad git I was completely freaked out,went to bed thinking they were hid in the house and would attack us while we slept.I took one sleeping tablet,hour later still awake,two hours later still awake and totally freaked out-hearing whispering etc,took another sleeping tablets,hour later still awake,in total I took 100 mgs of temazapan and was awake four hours later so the bloody stuff does not work at all.

Most annoying thing is we discovered the following day that it wasnt the local thugs,it was a bloody bottle with a golf ball inserted in the middle of it(hubbie had been awarde it at golf function) for some bizarre reason it had fallen out of its neat little hole,bounced round the kitchen and scared me shitless.

Ever felt really silly and totally knackered all because of a bloody golf ball?

Patricia

Sorry to hear that it doesn't really help you Lost,

but do still keep up the running, because being outside is so very nice. Even when it's raining it can be beautiful in the woods and fields.

I love it, especially when it's misty....

Sorry totally lost the point of the thread now :)

x

• 4 weeks later...

Bored-a-line, I was wondering how you are getting on in the big city. Have you found any exercise classes to go to? It takes a while to get in the groove with exercise. Myself I knew that exercise would be good for me for months (from past experience) but found it really hard to make myself go to the gym. Then I started going regularly once a week with a group from the local day centre, and built it up from there. After about two months I have got over the "I don't feel like going to the gym" mentality. Um I think it's like spinning a roundabout in a playpark, it's heavy to start it spinning but once it's going you keep giving it little shoves and it keeps going fast.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone

I love valium too but have been taken on and off it a few times. I started on it just over 12 months ago, 2 a day, following doctor's instructions, my regular doctor was away. I was taken off it when she came back.

Since then I have been on and off it, most recently was on it 2 times a day for 4 months, it helped me sleep and my debilitating anxiety and calmed my moods a lot but was taken off it again.

My dr will let me take it as needed but I need something more. I find the gym has also really helped me. Started there last week and find it has helped.

Hugs

Em

i totally agree with u Bored-a-line! sleep n valium...well, POWAH..... i understand... problems solved, period. I once loved valium too my friend. Once. Ultimately, the problem still exits.

Nothing wrong with loving valium... except that,

We should learn to love ourselves first.

If we can do that, valium becomes obsolete.

That is only my view. And by no mean am I now successful at loving myself! Tryting everyday, every moment, and its REALLY hard!

• 2 weeks later...

No no no! My god I found this post so disturbing.....I was addicted to valium once and believe me, you do NOT want to go there.

Valium is lethal if in the wrong hands, so do yourself and favour and STOP! Please, please stop....because if you continue to pump this into your body now, you will soon feel the effects when you stop.

The shakes, the mini seizures, the blackouts, being aggressive...the list goes on hun....

PLEASE stop this now, spare yourself the trauma of trying to live again without valium.

I could quite easily hand you a list of the terrible traumas I suffered from trying to stop valium...please stop now, before it's too late.

It's all very well saying valium makes you feel safe and BELIEVE ME I started out that way....and then I needed more to feel safe...and more and more...it's a cycle that you will find so hard to break if you should choose to start it.

God and peace be with you my friend.

Archived