Mental Health Forums

I Love Valium

bored-a-line

I have anew job in a gp sugery and I find it really disturbing how often valium is prescibed#

IT IS SO HIGHLY ADDICTIVE AND SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN FOR SHORT TERM USE FOR ANXIETY OR FOR ALCOHOL DETOX

Yes it feels nice and helps at the time,but even after a short time,we can want more.There are so many much less dangerous drugs on the market now,I just think it a thoughtless cop out for the doc to prescribe it,cos it will make people be happy to begin with, and get them off the doc's back

really glad about other people's strong reactions

I spent 6months in rehab and it was well known that coming off valium, was by far worse and takes weeks/months, than coming off any drug,even the heroine users agreed that coming off heroine is much easier, and over in about 7-10d

So BE WARNED EVERYONE

valium though is great as a muscle relaxant in back injuries etc,

Agreed. This stuff is lethal....I ended up almost have full blown seizures whilst coming off it because the doctor said I hadn't been on it long enough to be addicted!

Needless to say I swapped doctors! It's hell and at the time I wanted to die....do yourself a favour and throw the valium down the sink!!

• 4 months later...

I have to disagree with most of the posts. Valium is a very helpful drug. That is what medications are for. I don't like the newer faster acting drugs so I say with Valium. I've taken it for a long time and so far so good. There are days I don't take it, but most days I do and that is usually at night because it helps not have such severe nightmares. I don't care if I take the drug the rest of my life. I'm a professional, work full time, and in graduate school. The one time I decieded to not request medications I had to miss a semester of school and life was much worse. I still have days I don't know why I go on living, but things are much better with medications, one of them being Valium. So, my advise, look at your quality of life with and without the medication. I've heard many stories of how "she was on it for thirty years and couldn't stop at that point." If you can take something for thirty years that improves your life, then that's a long time to tolerate something that is helping you. Just a different point of view.

I'm not sure what view point to take - I've heard about the awful experiences

people have had coming off Valium after long term use and the benefit of short term therapy for a bereavement for example, where it is responsibily taken when needed and not daily.

I have very severe anxiety/agorophobia symptoms and I have been prescribed it prn while I go through a programme with 4 professional workers to get to the root of my anxiety, work through it, get less anxious then gradually stop the valium. It is all under strict supervision and I feel happy with that. During the times of therapy when I will start to leave the house for short distances, ie to the end of the drive, then the street etc i can take one prn if necessary, if not then I leave it. All of it is under the care of my PDoc, an OT, 2 CPNs and a support Worker - the 2 CPNs & Support Worker I will be seeing nearly every day, so that is good. I have waited over 11 years for help and I am grabbing it with both hands - to be able to feel safe out side my door and get a life again is what I look forward to and if I need valium prn for a couple of months to get a life, then I will.

It is hard to imagine unless you have been there the desperation I feel at not having a normal life outside of these 4 walls - I've been stuck indoors terrified to go out and about for over 20 years, even in my garden I run indoors the moment I hear the neighbours come outside.So my issue is quite severe and I need the drug and the accompanying therapy, otherwise my anxiety levels are so sky high I will not go further than the front gate!!!

Then I collapse in a wall of tears, SH and get so very depressed -

I know i will come off it and I only use it prn when absolutley necessary, one day I was so anxious I was sick but didn't take one, only when I was sick 3-5 days in a row did i take one and then i was able to move forward a bit....

It is sad I feel when you need something like this, but as I am being well supported and supervised and i am sensible with it, then the benefits outweigh the risks for me...my life without the short term use and this programme would not be worth living...I'm not going down the road of attempting s*icide again cause I was so miserable with anxiety ....this is my opportunity to get well and have anxiety under control.. :wub:

If you have time you might read a book titled "I am dancing as fast as I can" it is about a woman

who was addicted to valium.

I was prescribed Valium for help deal with back spasms after a fall. Three years later I finally got myself off of it. The first year was nice...sort of cruised to work did my thing and didn't even feel time pass. The next two years was me and my long road to getting off the stuff.

Read the book it is pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

i got prescribed sum valium about 3 days ago, pretty good stuff i found, i got given sumto try and calm me down when i get too worked up and to help my anxiety, its helped my anxiety cus i get so tired i just couldnt give a shite, however even tho ive only been on it 3 or 4 days i am findingmyself wanting to take it again and again to get rid of being fully awake and putting up with life, hasnt haped my mood swings tho and it doesnt stop me from injuring myself, infact im more likely to abuse the valium i think, but they have helped a bit, so im a little confused over the whole valium thing, the jury is still out for me

Archived