Mental Health Forums

Look What You've Done To Me.

Hope Floats

I've been off work nearly three and a half months with depression and anxiety due to severvel personal problems and a major work issue, after two informal meetings with my line manger, i was given hope that something would change at work and i could be given a job within my comfort zone, a formal meeting followed and i still felt that some changes could be made but having attended another formal meeting this afternoon with the general manager, all hope was dashed only to be told that there were no other openings my current job was the only one available and i had to measure up or i was out, and to make things worse if i am sick for six months within a twelve month period, my contract would be terminated.

I left the meeting feeling num and bewildered knowing a place i love working in, i really didn't have a future , I'm to return to work next week to ease my way back in but i feel i have no future there and with little full time employment around i don't know what to do, i feel going back to work would only be short term but would make me more stressed and damage my long term health. :(

Stu x

(((((((((Stu)))))))))

Sorry im really tired from severe lack of sleep so can just about write. But I have read this and offer my support

xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your support, it means a lot to me :)

I'm still feeling confused, let down, tired, sad and very stressed, i don't know what else to do right now, I've made a doctors appointment for tomorrow, to bring up to date with myself and work situation, i know it's up to me to sort things out and i do my best, the counsellor i see is a good listener but that's really all she does and sometimes i feel i need more but not knowing what the next step will be, worries me now. :(

Stu xxx

go to the cab. depression is covered under the disability at work act so if they know why you are off they can't fire you solely because ofi t. they can perhaps question your fitness for work but that's a difficult one to prove. they HAVE to make reasonable allowances.

GET SOME PROGFESSIONAL ADVICE

and then go back to your work with it

Hi stu,

top advice from nutella, and also I was wondering how your employers are managing your return to work? You said "ease yourself back in"....which sounds like you are starting on a part time basis to see how it goes? Even if they have'nt done it perfectly, it does sound at least like your employer might be willing to make allowances but that they don't really know what or how to do it?

Just a thought

xxxx

Hi stu,

top advice from nutella, and also I was wondering how your employers are managing your return to work? You said "ease yourself back in"....which sounds like you are starting on a part time basis to see how it goes? Even if they have'nt done it perfectly, it does sound at least like your employer might be willing to make allowances but that they don't really know what or how to do it?

Just a thought

xxxx

Thank you for your help, my employers have said that my return to work would roughly be three hour days for the first two weeks then normal duties there after, i was told there cant be favourtisim and everyone were equals, which i understand but i was lead to believe there might be some hope of an alternative employment for me but this was just to lure me back to work, I really cant cope with the thought of going back to my current job knowing nothing had changed which it hasn't, I've talked to my union rep who recommended i take a little more time off work and reflect on things and any future meeting he would attend with me, i feel although i feel I'm on the right medication now, the meeting last week knocked me back three months and i feel totally despondent, i feel my only course of action now is to look for another job once I'm back on my feet again.

Once again thank you for your advice.

Stu x

Hi,

I found myself in a similar situation two years ago. I was depressed and also suffering with insomnia. My manager allowed me one months leave. The leave helped me but I felt my condition would worsen if I get back to work, so I chose to quit. Although I had several personal issues which lead me into depression I gradually realized that I hated my work..and that made me feel worse. I waited for 3 months and decided to go back to work in a different company. My personal life became messier than before but I loved going to work because I really liked my work, it actually helped me take my mind off from the issues that surrounded me.

If its work that is discouraging you from going back to work, I would suggest you take a break, once you start feeling better find yourself a job that you would really like to do. Sorry if I am not helpful.

All the best!

lyfz confusin

Thank you for your helpful comments, work used to be my sanctuary now it's becoming my hell, the work place is changing though, i feel for the worse with more pressure put on emlpoyees for no extra money, they want a quality service on a shoe string budget, at my work place i feel that the personal touch has gone and I'm just a number who can be replaced at the drop of a hat, as you rightly said i need to get mentally fit again before moving forward, I'm a great believer in fate and hope what is happening to me now will turn out to be the best for my future.

Stu x

Today i recieved in the post a letter from my employer, asking for my consent to access my recent medical files, i consented to this on the condition my doctor allowed me to read the information before being sent to my employer, i sought more advice from my union who said this was the normal course of action and they would back me with future meetings, as this came as no surprise to me the reality came in affect of loosing my job and I've hit an all time low, with the hammer blow of my meeting last week.

My doctor has said again to me that all she can do for me is tablets and sick notes, also i had a final counselling session at my health centre (six in all) yesterday, i told my counsellor i felt i needed more in depth counselling, but there was nothing she could do except give me a leaflet from the NHS called Plymouth Options in which i could make a self referal for more counselling, later in the day i phoned them up to find there is a waiting list and it could take months for me to hear from them before an appointment is made, I've never felt so low in all my life and don't know what to do next, i keep questioning myself wheather work is the real problem or just me. :(

Stu x

Hey Stu

We've not spoken before but I wanted you to know that I understand how you feel about your counselling specifically.

For years I saw lots of different counsellors for 6 weeks at a time as that is all the NHS will fund, and never really solved anything especially as I have trust issues so it takes me ages to open up.

My current doctor referred me to the counsellor attached to the surgery but after 10 minutes she said she wasn't comfortable only seeing me for 6 weeks as I need a lot longer (which sounds similar to you).

She gave some names and addresses of local private counselling services with fees that were basically means tested.

I have to get a train to see my counsellor as all the ones within bus distance had waiting lists of more than 3 months and the one i see took me 2 months to get to the top of the list!!!!

Its worth it in the end and if your working and your employer wants you back into work they may well subsidise your counselling if you talk to your union rep!

Some local councils have lists of counselling services or your local library. I was lucky as the counsellor from the surgery had some knowledge and had leaflets to hand.

Don't give up on it!!!

Hope you start to feel better soon and that you get the support you need

Kate

x

Hi Kate,

Thank you so much for your advice, it's funny how things seem so logical when coming from someone else, I'll be seeing my doctor again this week and see what else she has to say then look around for private counsellors as you suggested, i really feel i need more counselling and my job isnt my only problem, i need to simplify my mind before i can move forward, thank you again for your advice.

Stu x

• 1 month later...

Feeling so low, it's hard to find the strength to carry on, I've got an appointment with my employers doctor this evening, although I'm used to visiting my own doctor, this visit will be like walking across a minefield, they want me to resign but why should i, work has been a cause of the problem anyway, roll on 5pm and let's get it over with. :(

Stu x

Feeling so low, it's hard to find the strength to carry on, I've got an appointment with my employers doctor this evening, although I'm used to visiting my own doctor, this visit will be like walking across a minefield, they want me to resign but why should i, work has been a cause of the problem anyway, roll on 5pm and let's get it over with. :(

Stu x

Hi Stu,

WEve not spoken to each other before, but I just read your story and ther's only one thing worse than your employer and that is your UNION - exactly what are ther spending / investing your weekly subs on?????

I think it is them who should be helping with locating and financing a suitable counsellor for you.

And as Nutella says, your employer has a responsability to you and your health.

DON'T TAKE THIS ONE LAYING DOWN MATE !!!!!!!!!

Hi Stu

We've not talked before but I know exactly where you are coming from. My employers did exactly the same to me. Even though they knew of the depression they decided to monitor sickness leave (yea there was a lot) which made life even worse, makes you more stressed therefore more time off sick, but they don't understand, they just think we're playing games to get time off.

My Union rep was brilliant but my state of mind was not and so I handed my notice in. Worst thing I have ever done and something I'll regret for a long long time, loved my job more than life itself but couldn't cope emotionally, culminating in MDE which over a year later, has hardly improved.

I really hope that you can be strong and fight for what is your right. Don't let the buggers grind you down.

Nutella is totally right, CAB can help, just try not to give into this. I just wish I had had the strength and support at the time to keep going.

Keep posting here for all the support you need. I am totally 100% behind you on this. Feel free to PM me anytime for a chat

Many hugs and much good luck to you xx Sue

Thank you both for your comments, they're much appreciated, my appointment with the company doctor went ok, he asked me a list of set questions and seemed understanding,two important things he mention were, one, my current job isn't suitable for me and a less stressful job should be looked into and two, i wouldn't be ready to return to work for a few more months, he'll now write his report, send me a copy to sign and then it's me just waiting to hear the next move.

I've informed my union about this and all I've been told is that everything that is happening is the correct procedre and they would represent me at any future meetings, I feel a little releif psycially after my doctors appointment but internally it's like a complex emotional maze, where one problem leads to another and the prospect of any chore seems daunting, So now it's a waiting game and my job is no longer important, the only winner must be my health.

Stu x

I recieved the medical report from company today and mostly agreed with what he had to say, except for the comment and i quote " He in my opinion unlikely to be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 as his normal everyday activities are not substantially impaired"unquote, for someone I've never met before and only spoke too for 20 minutes knows the quailty of my everyday life and didn't even want to look at my medical records. :angry:

Stu x

I phoned the company doctor back and questioned him about his comments relating to DDA, his replied it was because i was physically fit but it's my mental health that substanually impairs my everyday life but apparently that doesn't seem to be as important. :(

Stu x

Hi Stu

It depends whether or not you need physical abilities for your job or mental.

If you work in desk job mental illness/depression is more than likely to cause you problems than if you were lifting boxes/fillings shelves for example all day.

I would urge you to phone Acas, they give free independent advice and know the ins and outs of everything regarding employment.

The number is readily available.

Everything of course will be dependant upon your length of service etc.,etc.,

Give them a tinkle and let us know how you get on.

Try to keep your spirits up as best you can.

Thanks for that suggestion,I'll give them a ring later today, My job is both physical and mental which compromises things a bit but the company doctor has recommended in his report that my current job isn't suitable for me and other employment within the company is looked into and it will be at least 2 to 3 months before I'm ready to start work in any sort of job. :wacko:

Stu x

Whether or not you are covered by the DDA depends on

1) how long you have had the illness and how long it is likely to affect you

2) how substantially it affects your everyday life.

It is not dependant on what your job requires of you.

B4. An impairment might not have a substantial adverse effect on a person’s ability to undertake a particular day-to-day activity in isolation, but its effects on more than one activity, taken together, could result in an overall substantial adverse effect. e.g

A man with depression experiences a range of

symptoms including a loss of energy and motivation

that makes even the simplest of tasks or decisions

seem quite difficult. For example, he finds it difficult

to get up in the morning, get washed and dressed,

and prepare breakfast. He is forgetful and cannot plan

ahead. As a result he has often run out of food before

he thinks of going shopping again. Household tasks

are frequently left undone, or take much longer to

complete than normal. Together, the effects amount to

a substantial adverse effect.

The Act states that the substantial effects should be those that would occur if the person were not receiving treatment. In the case of someone with depression it would be the effects without medication, or counselling, for example (the so called "deduced effects").

The Act states that, for the purpose of deciding whether a person is disabled, a long-term effect of an impairment is one:

which has lasted at least 12 months; or

where the total period for which it lasts, from the time of the first onset, is likely to be at least 12

months

The Act states that an impairment is to be taken to affect the ability of a person to carry out normal day-to-day activities only if it affects that person in respect of one or more of the following (Sch1, Para 4):

mobility;

manual dexterity;

physical co-ordination;

continence;

ability to lift, carry or otherwise move everyday objects;

speech, hearing or eyesight;

memory or ability to concentrate, learn or

understand; or

• perception of the risk of physical danger

This list is to be taken in its very broad sense. e.g in a person with depression, mobility is affected if the person is unable to go shopping due to their depression, as is if they are unable to complete housework

Hope this helps!

Hi Stu

Youve had loads of good replies and things so prolly not much I can add, save to say Ive been through it too and its horrid, that constant sense of not knowing :( Its good they are giving you a little bit of leeway, but as you say its hard knowing they still expect of you and you dont know if you can do it. Think you are being very courageous and hardworking.

Ross

Archived