Mental Health Forums

Crisis Team Just Suggested Horlicks For Chronic Insomnia

karnakbabe

Sorry to start this on a new post but felt I just had to highlight this latest ridiculous suggestion.

I called them an hour ago after getting into such a state about this insomnia. I was in such a state and could barely talk through sobs and all she could suggest was Horlicks. Are they for real?????? Ended with me slamming the phone down in disgust after telling her to piss off and get some training before she should be allowed back on the phone, no doubt I will get repimanded by the new PDoc for that! Do I care, do I f**k!

They need to spend a day or even an hour in my shoes and lets just see how well they think a suggestion like that would go down with them. I am so sick of this abuse by the Mental Health System because that is the only thing I can call it not abuse and or neglect choose a name because those are the only ones that comes close to the treatment I have been given by the system.

I am so frustraited. Has anyone else been "prescribed Horlicks in a crisis situation, if so I would love to hear it cause I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

Amanda

jeeeez that is pretty stupid.

sorry your feeling so angry right now.

my mum is on zopiclone to help her sleep...she strugled for years.i hope you get a soloution.

ive had hypnotherapy to help me relax...and accupuncture.but that doesnt help you now,though something to think of in the long term.

your understandably angry at her suggestion.

x

not heard the horlicks one, but i got constantly patronised like that.

"try getting up at a regular time

try eating some breakfast

try going for a walk"

and of course the hot bath and cup of tea that is the solution to every mental health problem ever.

drove me nuts and made me feel like a 5-year-old - yeah, duh, i do know i should eat, well done. i know that because i am a human.

know it's hard not to get stressed out by them, they are such pricks!

nothing to add really...just feel your pain xxxx

She went through all of your suggestions first Esme before Horlicks came up. I explained I had already done all those things as well as homeopathic several times without help and that I'm not stupid so stop talking to me like I have an IQ of 5 then I burst into tears again at which point the Horlicks suggestion came up.

Been thinking for a while about the Zoplicone Dani and gonna try and get to see the Doc tmrw, ( if I get the guts to leave the house that is), and tell him point blank that if he doesn't prescribe Zoppys or something similar then I already have an online site in mind that I can order them from so he can help me or go fuck off, I don't care anymore. I'm finished playing their games and taking control and if that means self medicating then that is what I will do. I've had it and can take no more. They want me at breaking point well congrats I'm there. I've broken so now it's time to take control. I am so angry right now so how is that condusive to sleep! Are the crsis team not meant to calm you and help get some perspective or maybe Im wrong maybe their goal is to send you over the edge. Well congratulations to them. I am over the edge and taking control so they and their Pdocs can go fuck themselves I'm not playing their games any longer. It's time I took control. I mean since when was Horlicks a remedy for a mental health condition cause lets face it the BPD is responsible for the insomnia ie racing thoughts. I'm done with the lot of them and if the GP can't see that tmrw then fine I will order online and he can face the consequences of knowing that he refused to help me if anything goes wrong, hypocratic oath my arse.

Hi,

I've had the go for a walk one even at 3am , nice and safe that one !!!!! I am sorry your having issues but I do sypathise. I am still on diazepem to make me sleep, I've been on them 9 months way over the suggested time and I still don't sleep that well. I have taken to sleeping in the day as I feel safer then. But this has only been possible since I got signed off sick some months ago I finally started therpy last week so am hoping as the months go by I may be able to return to work even if its part time in a less stressful job. But we'll see I have suffered from chric depression for over 9 years now and last sunner also had to cope with the dignosis of BPD, it expalined a lot of my actions but I am still not further down the recovery route

Good Luck with the sleeping

Livvie

Hi There :)

I also had the Horlics one suggested to me recently lol I guess its a new addition to the one page training manual they have. I told my guy that Im alergic to the stuff and likely to kill me (Im V.allergic to the stuff) so we reverted to the tea suggestion!?! It really is like going around in circles.

Maybe people like us that have suffered from the MH issues should actually seek employment within this specific care role, at least we would know a little more of how it feels and not come up with crappy suggestions that simply push people further over the edge!

DATA'S HORLICKS BASED INSOMNIA PLAN

1. Make a cup of Horlicks.

2. Take 2 zopiclone.

3. Wash it down with the Horlicks.

4. Followed by a 3am walk

5. and a bath

I hope you're doing okay now, I can't believe they would be so patronising to you. :( *hugs*

DATA'S HORLICKS BASED INSOMNIA PLAN

1. Make a cup of Horlicks.

2. Take 2 zopiclone.

3. Wash it down with the Horlicks.

4. Followed by a 3am walk

5. and a bath

6. Followed by tea

7. Followed by pounding pillow

8. Folowed by drug induced zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:lol: :lol:

I was totally freaking out once with visual and auditory hallucinations and they suggested i go make a cup of tea

You should have said: "aah but I always put magic mushrooms in my tea" laugh.gif .

the crisis team they are a bunch of ... i suffer from auditory hallucinations, one day i was really panicking due to my halucination and the CPN suggested to me to take a cup of tea and go for a walk. I did and 8 hours later i was driven to A& e on the back of a police car for my own safety !

i dont want to have anything to do with them anymore

That's rediculous, I hate how patronising they can be about sleep problems. I've had the same, all the stupid suggestions like going to bed at a regular time, have a bath, have a warm milky drink, no caffeine after lunchtime etc etc.. Do they not think we'd have the sense to try all this? I'm sorry you're still struggling with this, hope you find someone that will prescribe you something helpful soon x

I have had

-make sure the room is dark ( like duh! do they think i sleep with a floodlight??)

- read a book ( in the dark room?)

- make myself some toast ( I have an ED... that's really gonna relax me ? u think?)

_ hot milky drink ( no suggestion of horlicks though... Guess they didn't attend the full training day)

Sometimes MH professionals can be fucktards. Some are brilliant, some should be doing something that doesn't involve other people.. like washing dogs.

I have had

-make sure the room is dark ( like duh! do they think i sleep with a floodlight??)

- read a book ( in the dark room?)

- make myself some toast ( I have an ED... that's really gonna relax me ? u think?)

_ hot milky drink ( no suggestion of horlicks though... Guess they didn't attend the full training day)

Sometimes MH professionals can be fucktards. Some are brilliant, some should be doing something that doesn't involve other people.. like washing dogs.

Kali, your entire response made me laugh. I think my flatmate would be good on the crisis team - she always tells me to smell some lavender oil. I'm like...yeah. THAT'S gonna work.

i am well and trully screwed, i dont like tea or holicks, and cant use nice bubble bath etc in bath as reacts to my hands, so not v relaxing either! maybe why i am in crisis and not bothered with picking up the phone for help!

Kali, your entire response made me laugh. I think my flatmate would be good on the crisis team - she always tells me to smell some lavender oil. I'm like...yeah. THAT'S gonna work.

Damn it, that was my next suggestion :D

god now i am really screwed, i HATE the smell of lavender! defo not ringing em, tea, horlicks, bath that my hands will react 2, and lavender which i hate the smell of, will make me jump! it would be like torture.

forgot to say i was told to shut my eyes and go into an imaginery safe place within my body! or imagine been on a beach! hope everyone gonna try those tonight :lol:

forgot to say i was told to shut my eyes and go into an imaginery safe place within my body! or imagine been on a beach! hope everyone gonna try those tonight :lol:

Im doing it now! I sent this post from my imaginary laptop on my imaginary beach :huh:

Archived