Mental Health Forums

Adderal Or Ritalin

hummm_mabbe

Hello

I have big prollems with motivation and being able to get stuff done. Its not a depression type "I just dont have the will or energy", its more like a horrible sense of being co-erced, driven, and of feeling anxious and horrid when I do that task. Im sure I am tracking down the psychological roots of this, however ...

has anyone had adderal or ritalin for motivational issues, or been prescribed it for ADD / ADHD and found that their task initiation and completion skills improved?

Im thinking of asking for it to help me back to work, whilst the psychotherapy gets to the root of the issue ....

Ross

hi ross,

the only thing i know about ritalin was i used to abuse it, much like cocaine, years ago. i had no motivation then, and i still find it hard to do repitive boring chores like housework.

I found out accidentally it could be abused. elizabeth wurtzel wrote prozac nation, then followed it with 'more, now , again;- a memoir of ritalin addiction.

Its pretty sharp and speedy, not good for anxious types, imho.

have you heard of provogil? same kind of thing, but better in a lot of ways?

or wellbutrin is 'supposed' to be a speedy anti-d, ut i wouldn't know, never tried it, but they said that about effexor and it made me worse...

can i suggest something that worked - for a while till i gave it up- for me? wholegrain organics, total vegan diet, and , ehh , inner cleansing.... (no, never did have a colonic) but still that stuff made me kinda brighter and i just had more motivation. i have started back on it yesterday- a body detox, feelin a bit crappy now but it should kick in soon.

have you ever been allergy tested for wheat/dairy etc?

cos ritalin/adderal are both pretty hardcore meds- would they just give them to you?

anyway, wisj you the best , thought id thro my 2c in,

take care,

ann marie

HI kitteh

I guess with me is its not that I lack the emergy to do these things and so need more pep - there is actually a psycho-emotional barrier to me doing them. I get angry and frustrated very quickly and just want to go and do something more pleasant, like come on here and chat to nice people about bunnies :)

It may be that what I need to do is prescribe myself a heavy dose of distress tolerance. I have tried this in the past, but have always had a bad attitude to distress tolerance - I just want it to go away, not tolerate it! Wahhhhh!!!

I guess you're right, its a pretty hardcore drug and Im normally leery of taking any meds, Have been med free for quite a while now having been through most of the SSi's and SNRI type things. As you say, adderal and ritalin are kinna speed type stuffz arent they. The thing is, when I like something or am interested in it, I am actually a hyper-focuser (you may have noticed my small psychology obsession lol). So I know I CAN focus, its just when something is unpleasant or boring that I have trouble. So I wondered if those druggie drugs might help me with the doing the boring stuffz.

Right im off to do some boring housework and tolerate that distress lol

:)

Rossie von lazy arse

thats interesting. i hate housework. i get fed up, annoyed at ppl for leaving their stuff around, annoyed at the kittehs for having to poo in their litter houses an i have to pick it up, i much prefer to cosy on the sofa and log on here or ma fav online game, or read, or just think.

so my house isnt showhouse condition. and i HATE doing it.

i am on a low income an bought a load of cleaning stuffs - the enviro expensive kind so maybe, just maybe, i could enjoy 'ethical housework'.

no i dont. and this is really bugging me now.

yes i noticed your interest in psychology ross lol. my interests are kittehs, animal rights , egyptian mythology, past life regression, William Burroughs, the beatnik writers in general, and luvvely Morrissey, and i can talk about these things forever. id rather read /talk /watch them than do flippin housework.

any tips on distress tolerance PLEEEASE else those 2 cleaning birds offa the telly will have to come round in about 3 months when me gaff goes septic?

take care ross.

X A.M

it'll make aniety much much worse

iv had both, for adhd, but my adhd is very severe, they do help finish tasks to an extent, but are also highly addictive and up adrenilin and anxiety and blood pressure. aderal especially is a v strong drug and has loads of side effects. ritilin is chemically one of the nearest things to cocain, only ofcourse pure, so realy unless some needs to be taking these types of meds its really not advisable.

i prefer strattera, its the only non stimulant used to treat adhd, it was invented as an anti depressant but didnt work for that but has significant effects on organisation and focus. its not a cure all though, i still struggle with the same things, it just makes my adhd managable to be able tpo work, it still has lots of side effects also, but not anxiety. it can not be taken with other antidepressants

the house work thing is a huge issue for me too, as is managing bills and finances, organising appointments. meds make no difference to any of this so really i think this is more of an emotional issue. i also have no problem at all with these things at work, which again makes me think its more of an emotional issue.

for me i find i am amazing in a crisis, but everyday normal life is hard. but then ofcourse i never experienced normal life so its something v unfamilar to me. when there is no immediate stressor or threat i feel unsettled and resort to dissociating, so balancing grouding techniques helps with this. i aslo find i have a v all or nothing attitude, i litterally start of house work and feel panicy or depressed because theres no way i have time or energy to do it all, so i tend to give up, this is a strange perfectionist streak that i try to work on, if i dont feel it can be perfect i wont even attempt it so as not to fail, so i try to work on just doing things 'good enough' and learning to cope with how that feels. i also feel that taking care of myself in these ways is a burden, and i think this comes from my m response to my needs, she treated my normal needs as a burden and ignored them or perverted them and i think this is partly what comes out when i try to tackel these tasks. i try to spend time writing this down and staying with these feelings, the grief and anger and loss that comes from her neglect and contempt of my needs, and i try slowly to do better for myself without over burdening myself, little small comitments that i find easy and managable. also iv started to use the voice dialogue work for this, my immediate response to these types of tasks is to hide under the covers and scream inside, to push away what feels unbearable, but i have started asking what side of me would like to deal with this stuff, like saying to myself who wants to come forward and deal with this cause its too much for me, and amazingly thats made its hugely easier, and i dont get the desperate feelings of the panic for perfection or rejection of effort that i normally find. if all else fails i buy new clothes, and that allways motivates me to keep my stuff good.

motivation is not the be all and end all, its not easy to deal with all this stuff while having so much emotional baggage, just doing enough is an achievement and should be cellebrated

thats interesting. i hate housework. i get fed up, annoyed at ppl for leaving their stuff around, annoyed at the kittehs for having to poo in their litter houses an i have to pick it up, i much prefer to cosy on the sofa and log on here or ma fav online game, or read, or just think.

so my house isnt showhouse condition. and i HATE doing it.

i am on a low income an bought a load of cleaning stuffs - the enviro expensive kind so maybe, just maybe, i could enjoy 'ethical housework'.

no i dont. and this is really bugging me now.

yes i noticed your interest in psychology ross lol. my interests are kittehs, animal rights , egyptian mythology, past life regression, William Burroughs, the beatnik writers in general, and luvvely Morrissey, and i can talk about these things forever. id rather read /talk /watch them than do flippin housework.

any tips on distress tolerance PLEEEASE else those 2 cleaning birds offa the telly will have to come round in about 3 months when me gaff goes septic?

take care ross.

X A.M

Hi

Lol @ septic gaff :lol:

Well the distressey mindfulley tolerantey stuff did seem to work. I just made myself do things until I felt really really f***ing annoyed, and then made myself push through it whislt doing that mindful awareness thing of the shitty feelings. It wasnt nice, but it did seem to subside a bit and then I started to feel quite happy with myself for having done it. I guess the feeling of being an effective person is the reward for having to put up with feeling narcy :unsure:

Anyways, Im gonna keep trying that idea. managed to get thru some of me learn russian book which has been really annoying me for some reason, then had to stop cuz me back hurt :(

You have lots of cool interests, I need some too :)

it'll make aniety much much worse

iv had both, for adhd, but my adhd is very severe, they do help finish tasks to an extent, but are also highly addictive and up adrenilin and anxiety and blood pressure. aderal especially is a v strong drug and has loads of side effects

i prefer strattera, its the only non stimulant used to treat adhd, it was invented as an anti depressant but didnt work for that but has significant effects on organisation and focus. its not a cure all though, i still struggle with the same things, it just makes my adhd managable to be able tpo work, it still has lots of side effects also, but not anxiety. it can not be taken with other antidepressants

I must admit I would rather do it without druggie drugs. Its just the idea of them little chemical biscuits making me all concentratey in a jiff is very appealing. As you say though, the side effects suck ... :(

Ross

oh, eye Qs are def worth the price though i find

iv heard from others they dont find this so maybe its to do with my brain being all faulty wiring with my adhd and all, but i def feel a slight difference when i take them, and its only the eyeqs not any other kind of omega stuff

ete qs are a specfic balance of omegas, they have been used in alot of class room attention tests, and supposedly their effectiveness is to do with the specific balance of stuff in them. ther are not cheep though, but on boots 3 4 2s. for the first 3 months your supposed to take 6 a day, which costs 20pounds ish i think, then after that the smaller tubs are 8pounds ish i think. iv tried cheeper ones, and iv tried internet ones that have higher levels of the dhas or whatever the stuff in the omegas is called, but the only ones iv felt any difference with are the eye qs. but like i say thats maybe cause i do have severe attention deficicts.

Archived