Mental Health Forums

Are They Not Taking Me Seriously?

purple-chick

iv struggled with food since i was a young teen.

i go back and forth between binge eating, to barely eating at all.

i seem to change eating patterns with my moods.

my weight goes up and down dramatically!!

i rang up an ed helpline and they just told me to speak to either my gp or my mh team.

so i went to my gp and she just gave me a diet plan ... if it were that easy i would have done it years ago ... i need proper help!!!

so then i told me mh team (which took an awful lot of courage) and they simply said to me, well we dont think you have an ed.

i feel like no-one is taking me seriously!!

i havnt got enough room for all my clothes, cos i have to keep size 10 - 16 cos my weight is always going up and down.

at the mo im in a binge eating faze, (which isnt helped by recently giving up smoking).

this is really really getting me down now, as its been going on for 15 years!

i feel silly even talking about it, as you will prob all agree with the mh team, that there is nothing wrong :(

Hi purple

Its difficult to know what to say. It sounds like you are stuck in a dreadful no win situation. The choices as I see it are:

1) Make a huge pain in the ass of yourself with your doc. Change docs, see different psychs. Demand to be seen by different people and say that you feel you are being brushed off and ignored.

2) Private psychotherapy. The NHS has caseloads and financial restrictions. A private therapist does not, and in my experience have been unilaterally better than any NHS therapist I have ever had. Of course money is a difficulty here, I have the same issue. I have to just try to have as many sessions as poss, without maxing out my benefits. At the mo thats only once ebery 3 weeks, but thats just waht is right now. I dont know if you have an income or if there is anyone who might help you financially. Its going to depend on what type of therapy you have as to how much it will cost.

Im not sure what types of therapy are recommended for ED's, I would imagine CBT is one of them though. You can see if there are private CBT therapists in your area by going to www.babcp.com and clicking 'find a therapist'.

Sorry cant suggest anything else, this was the exact same problem I had too, and even when I got an NHS therapist they sucked, so I went private. In the end I didnt care about the money, I just had to find something that would work.

Ross

thanx for your reply ross.

well yeh money is an issue.

but maybe i will go back to my gp and maybe get my mum to come with me and we can really explain to her how desperate its making me feel.

failing that i could speak to my psyc about it, as he is the one person i havnt spoken to about it.

i just feel like they think im making a drama over nothing!

xx

Purple-Chick, Hi!,

You may or may not have an eating disorder, but you certainly have a poor relationship with food.It is affecting your life, both mentally and pysically and so needs to be taken seriously. My daughter is very similar in that her eating patterns are very much mood related. I would discuss this all with your psych to see if he can come up with anything useful. xx

Hi purple,

I have had really similar experience to you. My eating problems started when I was 14 and at 19 I lost a lot of weight very quickly, at that point I was diagnosed with anorexia. Since then I have been treated fot depression and now bpd. After the anorexia I tried to get better which led me down the path to bulimia which i have suffered from since then.

Since the bulimia took hold I've been in a pattern much like yours, pro-longed bingeing, followed by severe restriction and purging. If I ever try to talk to my psych about my eating he changes the subject as he's sees it as a symptom of everything else. As long as I'm not just starving myself then they don't see it as the biggest issue. Despite the fact that my bingeing is often the cause of my self-harm and suicidal thoughts and the fact that food fills up every moment ofmy thinking, tormenting me.

I have no doubt that if we suddenly dropped underweight and were physically ill, they would then see it as a problem. It's a bad system because to my disordered mind I feel like I have to get very underweight in order to get help. It also kicks my stubborn mind into 'if you wont acknowledge my problem, I'll show you, I'll get really underweight and then you'll wish you listened'.

Ah its rubbish and this probably hasnt been a helpful reply but just wanted you to know you are not alone in this.

Maybe you could ask to see a dieticia or find out about support groups in your area. My support group has been the best help of all.

But the bottom line is, if you have an issue with food that effects you and the way you live in a negetive way, then it is an Eating Problem so don't let them fob you off.

Good luck hun x

thanx kalico i will hun

and better alone, i know exactly what you mean about if we were under weight then they would take us seriously then, its really sad!

but its really comforting to know im not alone in this , thank you hun :)

xx

You sound bulimic, non-purging type, but don't take my word for it, but bulimia... it really is a serious problem, as with every eating disorder.

Can you change teams?

See someone else?

I think you should get help for this before it gets really out of control & more serious.

Take care.

id decided... fuck the mh services and gp if they aint gonna listen to me!!

so iv searched and found the number of a local group for ed who take self refers. so im gonna ring them tomorrow.... wish me luck!! xx

Good luck with that group hunni.

xxxx

Just don't take no for an answer.

I was screwed about for YEARS with it - was first noticed by professionals when i was a young child - about 4/5 - that there was some sort of disordered eating... i used to stuff my dinner behind the radiators in the school toilets, ffs! and then give other people my lunch, and just eat the bit of yoghurt off the lid, shove rest in bin....

all sorts of stuff that were picked up on, but no one stepped in.

...Continued til it got worse where i wouldn't eat for like a week, then i'd stuff myself silly, then end up being really ill, then wouldn't eat a thing for another week..etc etc. Or just eat one kind of food, over and over and over... ALL bad eating habits, all should have made someone sit up and pay attention, but i literally had to DEMAND that i was helped, and when they actually did help me, they realised just how bad it was.

Still get help for this now, as am by no means recovered, but hun, FIGHT FOR IT!

Rant over!! sorry sweetie!

You deserve to be helped, and it's so good that you recognise that.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow, willkeep fingers crossed for you that you find some support xxxxx

id decided... fuck the mh services and gp if they aint gonna listen to me!!

so iv searched and found the number of a local group for ed who take self refers. so im gonna ring them tomorrow.... wish me luck!! xx

Good luck hun, hope they take you seriously, it's so frustrating when people don't! Lots of hugs xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I totally understand where you're coming from. I went to the GP, did this SCOFF questionaire. I was underweight at the time, but just a little. They refered to pyschological therapies... this was in March last year, I got the appt through for August. By which point I had lost more weight, and was already 'locked in', as they call it. I started seeing a brill therapist and dieticican but all they cud do was watch my weight fall every week, I just couldn't do the CBT by that point as my mind wasn't functioning. Anyways, they refered me for inpatient treatment pretty fast, and I got discharged back into their care just over a week ago. Like u say, seems u have to be severely underweight before u get the help, if I had of seen the therapist sooner, when my mind was working better cos it wasn't as starved, wud have prob been able to stay out of hospital. If this was case for most, u wud think they cud save money by helping ppl quicker and avoiding private inpatient treatment funding. Anyways. Just keep trying to get help cos it just doesn't 'go away', as we know, but least u know ur not alone, how ur GP etc acting n do anything ya can to get some help xoxoxox

thanx kalico i will hun

and better alone, i know exactly what you mean about if we were under weight then they would take us seriously then, its really sad!

but its really comforting to know im not alone in this , thank you hun :)

xx

God i so relate.... my T for DBT (BPD treatment) is also an expert in ED's... runs the unit for this area and ive never really explained to her how bad i get coz ive felt like i would be betraying her by being that way.... she found out once that i wasnt eating and asked why, i told her coz i was worried bout gettin fat but then i told her i had had a whole bottle of JD that week and she said basically i obviousy wasnt THAT worried bout calories... then i realised shit, i hadnt been counting liquid calories.

The wardrobe sizes....mine are identical 10 to 16; starve, starve, starve, binge binge..... on going.....now i if i drink alcohol i wont eat at all or if in company will make sure i lose the calories later like a big sunday roast..no purging equals 4 days of starving... and im considered overweight 5 ft 6 12stone...a litte musclely...but its nothing to GPS and even experts.

Thank u for sharing ur experience.... i see im not alone.

xxxxxx

Archived