Mental Health Forums

Fluoxetine (Prozac) Or Alternatives...

Rainbow Tears

After telling my GP - the first time I have ever sought help - that I was bulimic, she started me on fluoxetine. I've been taking it for 2 months: 20mg for a month, up to 40mg, and I've recently taken it up to 60mg. It seems to be having zero effect on anything: depression, bulimia, cutting. My anxiety may have dropped a little, but my mouth and throat are dry and sore, I'm sleeping poorly and I'm sweating.

I know that anti-depressants take time, but the fact that stabbing a knife into my arm is providing more relief that the meds is slightly concerning. Though I've decided its less damaging in the long term than throwing up.

Has anyone taken fluoxetine before? Did it help? Are there any alternatives that might work better?

Thanks =)

I have taken several different medications and am currently on fluoxetine 40mg a day with no real side effects and some slight improvement. Mental health problems are not like an infection with antibiotics, the pills won't take all the pain away :(.

We are all different and we all respond to drugs differently, thats why there are so many of them.

fluoxetine did nothing good for me !

i agree with data AD take abit of time to see any effect and not everyone have the same effect on people. However 2 month you should already feel at the very least a little change.

Didn't do anything for me either but everyone is different. I would have thought after 2 months you'd notice something. Maybe ask your gp if theres anything she would recommend for you? I'm sorry to hear you're struggling, I really hope you find something that helps soon. Laura x

I think the others are right - these things do take time, and fluoxetine takes slightly longer than some of the others because (of the time that particular drug takes to break down in the bloodstream)but after two months - and on quite a high dose you'd usually expect some sort of response. That said - for some people it takes 3 months so.....

The other thing, of course, is that if you expect some kind of benifit in a couple of months, you'd also expect that side effects that were going to settle would have already done so - seems like maybe thats not happening for you?

Everyone is different, but I'd go back to the GP - some meds just disagree with some people, its perfectly reasonable to say that you think this one is not agreeing with you.

Could at least have a discussion about it then? Perhaps some support other than/in addition to meds would be good? Hope I'm not overstepping the mark there - just what I found for myself, one wasn't any good without the other

Hope you find somthing that helps, be it medication or whatever,

Mousex

After telling my GP - the first time I have ever sought help - that I was bulimic, she started me on fluoxetine. I've been taking it for 2 months: 20mg for a month, up to 40mg, and I've recently taken it up to 60mg. It seems to be having zero effect on anything: depression, bulimia, cutting. My anxiety may have dropped a little, but my mouth and throat are dry and sore, I'm sleeping poorly and I'm sweating.

I know that anti-depressants take time, but the fact that stabbing a knife into my arm is providing more relief that the meds is slightly concerning. Though I've decided its less damaging in the long term than throwing up.

Has anyone taken fluoxetine before? Did it help? Are there any alternatives that might work better?

Thanks =)

i,ve been on fluoxetine, twice i,ve just stopped taking it (again) telling gp tomorrow< personely it does nothing for me except gives me suicidal thoughts, i really dont think much to it, give it another couple of weeks then go back to doctors and tell him you want to change, doctors are stubborn wankers so make sure you get your message across good luck x

I've been on and off it for years, and it has never been particularly effective for me.

It did increase my mood slightly, i was on 60mg. It only took a couple of weeks to start feeling it working, i would think after two months and at 60mg you should be feeling something now. I'm concerned tho that if you talk to your GP, they'll tell you wait longer.

Side effects: It made me numb and apathetic. I was still somewhat depressed, but couldn't feel joy or excitement or happiness either. I literally felt nothing.

Sex drive went down the hill, and fast.

The only time i knew it was working, was when i stopped taking it for a few days and felt myself going mental.

I've been switched to Sertraline (zoloft), which i could do without any weaning period, and have found it far more effective.

Thanks everyone. I feel exactly lke you do wobbles: numb, apathetic, not interested in anything. The only thing thats lifts me from the ground for just a moment is physical pain, and it only lasts for a few minutes...

My GP will probably tell me to keep going, but I need more of something, so I'll go see her tomorrow...if I can remove myself from bed before the afternoon happens...

• 1 month later...

You probably need to be on 60mg for a month to know if that dose is going to help you. But if it doesn't there are loads and loads of other anti-depressants out there to try. Duloxetine has worked well for me, but we're all different, you may have to try many before finding the right one - I've taken 10 over the years. But it is worth it xx

Well I've been on 60mg for 5 weeks and it is done nothing for me. In fact it made things worse!

I could still feel all the emotions. They were churning away inside we, desperate to break out, but I couldn't express them. I couldn't scream, I couldn't cry, I couldn't run, I couldn't even leave the house!

So I've stopped taking it. I am not saying this to worry anyone. I don't want any fuss. In fact I hate fuss. I know that I shouldn't be doing it, but I am. However much I might know the sensible and right thing to do, I just aint going to do it. I can't explain or understand why but it isn't going to happen.

Sorry I've gone on a ramble. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5 weeks is long enough that it should have helped by now, sorry it hasn't ((((rainbow)))) can you go back to your GP and explain things? Do you know if you'll be seeing a pdoc any time soon? I think you mentioned a possible diagnosis of bipolar - if this is right they won't want you on a anti-d on it's own anyway. Take care xxxxx

Sorry just posted on your other thread and asked if you'd come off it, ignore that.. Its your choice at the end of the day, I stopped taking it against my doctor's wishes as well and am very glad I did (shouldn't do but nevermind, you know yourself better than any doctor) xxxxxxx

Hi Rainbow

The drug that normally works where everything else fails is usually Venlafaxine (Effexor) at high dose, eg 250-300mg extended release. Often this is what you will be given if other SSRI's dont work. It worked for me, but only at the highest doses and the extended release takes the edge off the sides which are the same as most SSRI's - dry mouth, 'yawning', muscle spasm, failed orgasms / arousal, some appetite changes.

Its a different type of drug - an SNRI, which means it works on different things. There are more drugs similar to effexor out there too now, things like cymbalta, mirtazapine and so on. Cant really say what will work for you, but it sounds like maybe you need to go to the heavy duty end of the range. Effexor might help you.

Ross

Archived